Cannot detect IOS software update

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm recently jailbroken and loving it but, something that concerns me is my 4S will not detect the most recent software update from Apple (6.1.1). My wife's 4S which is not jailbroken did detect the update. Does jailbreaking prevent software updates? How do I update to the new software?

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. So it says it prevents OTA updates. How do you get around this in the event you need to update?

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Even when I plugged into iTunes on my PC and clicked "check for update" it would not detect the update.

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
It should prompt you to return to factory settings and update at the same time. If it still doesn't work, manually download the IPSW file from the web and hit restore while holding the Shift (win) or Option (mac) key on the keyboard.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
And just to be clear, you know that most of the time updating means losing your jailbreak, yes? This one so far seems to not kill the jb, which is really weird, but even then you'll have to re-jailbreak and re-download all your Cydia packages (if you want to stay jailbroken).

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
And just to be clear, you know that most of the time updating means losing your jailbreak, yes? This one so far seems to not kill the jb, which is really weird, but even then you'll have to re-jailbreak and re-download all your Cydia packages (if you want to stay jailbroken).

Yes I am aware updating means loosing your jailbreak. I currently don't see a need to update but, would just like to make sure I can if I need to. Right now in a little concerned as to why it won't detect the update even via iTunes.

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
You will have to re-jailbreak.

Ok, I was just thinking of the previous comment shown below by "Massie" where they said it so far has not killed their jailbreak.

"And just to be clear, you know that most of the time updating means losing your jailbreak, yes? This one so far seems to not kill the jb, which is really weird, but even then you'll have to re-jailbreak and re-download all your Cydia packages (if you want to stay jailbroken)"

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
No, what I meant was that updates usually make it so you can't jb at all, because Apple fixes the security holes that made the jb possible. This one is odd in that it apparently still works—but anytime you update, you will lose your jb. The question is only whether or not you can get it back.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73