question about jailbrake backups

mitch1211

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone

I'm new to the jail break world. Used evasi0n to jailbreak my iPhone 5 and loving it so far. My question is
? do I continue backing up my iPhone through iTunes?
? will restoring from any backup get rid of the jailbreak?
? does restoring from a backup made after jail breaking have any effect on the phone?

Thanks a lot :)

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
1. yes you continue to back your phone through iTunes or iCloud just like normal
2. yes if you restore your phone it will remove the jailbreak, a restore is a two part process even though they use the same name for the process. First you restore or reload the OS which is what gets rid of the Jailbreak then you're prompted if you want to restore from your backup.
3. This is a hard question to answer, personally I don't see any problems but others will tell you that it will lead to corruption and stability issues. I have been permanently JBen for the last 5 years and I've restored my iPhones many, many times and had no issues whatsoever but every person is different. Every Jailbreak is different because different people load up different tweaks and apps so it's really hard to give you a definite answer on this one.

AmpedPotato

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone

I'm new to the jail break world. Used evasi0n to jailbreak my iPhone 5 and loving it so far. My question is
? do I continue backing up my iPhone through iTunes?
? will restoring from any backup get rid of the jailbreak?
? does restoring from a backup made after jail breaking have any effect on the phone?

Thanks a lot :)

Yes you can continue backing up via iTunes. I saved my pre-jailbreak backups just in case. In Windows they are located in %appdata%\Apple Computer\MobileSync . Just make a copy of the MobileSync folder. Not sure about Mac. Here's a page with the locations :-

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4946

Not sure, but I think restoring from a backup will remove the jailbreak. Probably want to do a full restore and either use a pre-jailbreak backup or set up as new if you want to remove the jailbreak.

I had a thread on this and was advised that restoring from a jailbroken backup to a non-jailbroken device could cause glitches. I would assume if you restore to a jailbroken device (that uses the same jailbreak that was used before the backup) would have no negative effects.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Before I got my 5 I had a 4 that was jail broken which was backed up. Restored no problem to my five from iCloud.

Sent from the collector home world.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
The first part of your question was already answered.

As for the restore back after a jailbreak, it has never been an issue for me. There will be some remnants left when you restore but it should not be so bad as long as you did not have 1000's of tweaks installed.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen