Jailbreak = Jailtime and Fines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBKrzy

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
So the jailbreak officially came out the other day and i just jailbroke mine tonight and then my friends calls me up and says don't do it b/c they are putting people in jail and giving them huge fines for this and supposedly it was started by ATT. Is this true?

hapakolea

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
yep, just got outta jail this morning

I hope this entire thread is a joke. How can anyone be thrown in jail for modifying a device that you own? No judge would justify throwing someone in jail for it.

I would believe a fine, but if anyone went to jail I could see that making national news.

BBKrzy

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
This is no joke. I posted this literally after she phoned me and told me. I was like.. that's not illegal. And she said she knew this guy that just got put in jail for it. CRAZY!

hapakolea

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I also want to add that jailbreaking an iPhone is completely legal and is not against the law in any way. It only voids apples manufacturer warranty which can be circumvented by restoring to the latest firmware. Unlocking phones THROUGH jailbreaking on phones purchased after 2013 is illegal and the only exception for iPhones.

Jailbreaking iPads is is another story.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
I hope this entire thread is a joke. How can anyone be thrown in jail for modifying a device that you own? No judge would justify throwing someone in jail for it.

I would believe a fine, but if anyone went to jail I could see that making national news.

I can vouch for BLiNK, I bailed him out today. Hence my avatar. Poor guy

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Jail breaking is not illegal. If you brick your iPhone due to JB'ing, Apple can deny service or replacement. That is all. I actually had my 3GS JB when I went in to a Genius Bar in 2010. I had a dead pixel. Genius girl replaced my screen since a dead pixel was hardware and not software.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
This is no joke. I posted this literally after she phoned me and told me. I was like.. that's not illegal. And she said she knew this guy that just got put in jail for it. CRAZY!

Hate to question your friend but I don't buy it sounds like a cover up story lol

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
If your friend is that gullible to believe this then I have a few things I need to sell 'at a very reasonable price.' Any chance of her contact details?

bahandi

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
To the OP, what these guys are trying to say is that jailbreaking and unlocking are two separate things.

Your friend's story may involve someone unlocking their phone which just recently has been "outlawed".

Jailbreaking, as mentioned, had been ruled legal.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I spent the last 4 years in jail because of a jailbreak...tough time really, made some friends, shanked a couple of guys, and made some toilet wine, but i ain't never going back. I'll die before i go back.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Ok I will play too.

I just re-jailbroke my ipad mini and as soon as I clicked jailbreak the police showed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73