Please help with jailbreaking iphone 3gs..

CHEOYKELL

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
hello..first i would like to apologize if posting in wrong forum...ok i have a iphone 3gs ios 5.0.1(modem firm-05.16.05) i would like to jailbreak it.my question is should i upgrade to 5.1 or 6.1...i do like the 5.1.1,and how do i upgrade to 5.1.1.or if i should upgrade to ios 6.1.if so is there a untethered jailbreak for 6.1..

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
If you haven't been jailbroken in the past, your only option is 6.1.
Are you concerned with unlocking the device or just jailbreaking?
Answer those two and I'll grab an appropriate tutorial. :)

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
If you've never jailbroken, you most likely won't have the SHSH blobs required to upgrade to 5.1.1. The only way I can see that happening is if you bought it from a third party who had it jailbroken and restored to 5.0.1 instead.

There is an untethered jailbreak for 6.1. You can go to www.evasi0n.com to get that.

Otherwise, you should go to the dev team blog Dev-Team Blog and get redsn0w to handle 5.0.1. A quick google search will get you video tutorials for that software. If any of the steps confuse you, feel free to ask.

CHEOYKELL

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
i got the phone from a friend..im not sure if he has jailbroken it in the past?as far as unlocking the phone doesnt matter,not an issue..

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Assume he didn't jailbreak it. That makes more sense than he jailbroke it and restored to 5.0.1.

I haven't checked to see how much iOS6 drains the 3GS. You may or may not want to upgrade depending on that. You have an option with either iOS to upgrade. Decide which iOS you prefer and get the appropriate tool from the links provided for the untethered jailbreak.

CHEOYKELL

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
i did get it from a friend but i dont know if he jailbroke it before..ok so do i upgrade to ios 6.1 from the phone or by itunes?and will evasi0n jailbreak the iphone 3gs for me?do i have to download anything else for evasi0n?

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
1. Connect to iTunes.
2. Back up the device.
3. Hit Restore.
4. Restore with the backup you created.
5. Follow this tutorial.

Note: iTunes will probably prompt you to Update the phone. Don't! Use the Restore button.

CHEOYKELL

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Honestly i use it more with wifi and basically for games and internet and movies..honestly like a ipod..i use to have a ipad first gen and had 5.1.1 on it and like it,jailbroke that and was easy for me to do it..honestly looking for the best way to do it on the 3gs..i dont mind trying the ios 6.1

CHEOYKELL

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
so i go to itunes and update to ios 6.1,then do a back up, then do a restore from the back up?and then proceed with the jailbreak with evasi0n?

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
You do a backup before restoring. The restore will wipe the phone. Once restored you'll be given a choice to restore from a backup. Choose the one you just created.

Unrelated, but still important: After all this is done, look into TinyUmbrella to save your 6.1 SHSH blobs. Apple will be closing the window soon.

CHEOYKELL

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
ok cool thank you..will be udating now to 6.1 on itunes.. then back up and restore.restore from the back up i created.done.now go to evasion and jailbreak.after jailbreak.do i want to do the tinyumbrella to save shsh after i jailbreak or before?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox