Seeking help with blank bookmark icons

cstanleymd

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi, all! New to the forum but relatively seasoned with jailbreaking. I had a question I'm hoping someone can help me with. When I was jailbroken back in iOS 5.x days, I installed a theme at some point that after its removal, it left a bunch of empty grey boxes on my homescreen. When I tap on them, I just get the notification "Unsupported URL. This URL wasn't loaded." I can delete them temporarily but they always come back. Trouble is, I wasn't sure what was causing it and when I updated to iOS 6 I assumed that would fix it. No such luck. No amount of restores will get rid of them. I can move them around like regular apps though. After I had updated I did some researching and found a forum post somewhere where they had similar problems and used iFile to fix it by deleting some cache files I believe. So I've been biding my time waiting for the jailbreak but now that I have it, I can't find the page back with the instructions on how to fix it. *face palm* Anyone out there have a similar issue or can help me out? I'd very much appreciate it!

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
were they links to books?

have you ever done a restore as new? or was it only a restore from backups?

cstanleymd

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, guys. I tried out iCleaner but no such luck. I also went in myself after reading some other sources and deleted a few image caches suggested to be the cause but without much luck. I don't believe I have restored from new and I can do that as a bit of a last ditch effort but I'm a bit loathe to start from scratch customizing everything I'll admit. I'm including a picture here to better illustrate my dilemma. Any other ideas out there?photo.PNG

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
If you decide to use the nuclear option (restore as new) use AppBackup beforehand! It's a jailbreak app that can save your App Store apps' data! Not sure what to recommend for Cydia apps though.. never had much luck there...

Update: Just thought of something else! Grab iBlank from Cydia and hit "erase all blank icons" or whatever the option said!

cstanleymd

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Ah no such luck with iBlank, I'm afraid. Thanks so much for the suggestions, though! I think I'll just drag them a few pages away from the rest of my icons. I already have the page indicators hidden so I think that will be the easiest solution. Out of sight, out of mind =)

cstanleymd

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Problem sort of solved, actually! By enabling the hide icon shadows theme in winterboard that came with iBlank, it's made those icons invisible. They're still there technically, but I can live with this.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
did you ever have iconslam??
or a situation where you had to use blank tiles to make a "gridlock" type effect?

cstanleymd

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Well I used gridlock in the last jailbreak but I've been waiting for compatibility with iOS 6 to install it again. Plus, I don't think that works in that method. I had iconoclasm a long time ago before gridlock but I really think the mystery shadows didn't start showing up till after I tried out a winterboard icon theme and then got rid of it.