Gmail, exchange, restore and jailbreak

03_CTD

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I've been seriously considering a jailbreak given its recent availability, just for a few tweaks that I could certainly live without. I currently have my primary email (Gmail) account set up as exchange for push which I can't live without.

If I am to understand correctly, in the case that I didn't like the jailbreak (more than likely user error as this seems to be more reading and research than I'm capable of lately) and wanted to revert to "pure" it would require a restore?

If a restore is necessary to revert to pure will I lose the exchange option for my gmail account? I can't find any solid answers as to how Google has chosen to handle a restore.

I would hate to lose something I need over a few options that would be nice to have!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've been seriously considering a jailbreak given its recent availability, just for a few tweaks that I could certainly live without. I currently have my primary email (Gmail) account set up as exchange for push which I can't live without.

If I am to understand correctly, in the case that I didn't like the jailbreak (more than likely user error as this seems to be more reading and research than I'm capable of lately) and wanted to revert to "pure" it would require a restore?
Yes, a restore via iTunes should restore your device to stock.

If a restore is necessary to revert to pure will I lose the exchange option for my gmail account? I can't find any solid answers as to how Google has chosen to handle a restore.

I would hate to lose something I need over a few options that would be nice to have!
Allegedly, you're suppose to lose your ability to use Gmail via Exchange if you change devices or setup / re-set up your gmail account, but I am not yet convinced if that is the case if you restore from a backup. I cannot give a definitive answer right now, but I am willing to restore my iPad as new tomorrow and test it out for you.

03_CTD

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes, a restore via iTunes should restore your device to stock.

Allegedly, you're suppose to lose your ability to use Gmail via Exchange if you change devices or setup / re-set up your gmail account, but I am not yet convinced if that is the case if you restore from a backup. I cannot give a definitive answer right now, but I am willing to restore my iPad as new tomorrow and test it out for you.

Very much appreciated, thank you. Now you've got me thinking again too. I have been trying to figure out for the life of me how Google could implement dropping exchange support in the case of a restore from backup on the SAME device. Glad to see I'm not the only one questioning this especially considering how little documentation there is in this issue. It is still a fairly new problem I suppose........

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Very much appreciated, thank you. Now you've got me thinking again too. I have been trying to figure out for the life of me how Google could implement dropping exchange support in the case of a restore from backup on the SAME device. Glad to see I'm not the only one questioning this especially considering how little documentation there is in this issue. It is still a fairly new problem I suppose........

I hear you. Anyway, sometime tomorrow morning, I will reset & restore my iPad 2 as new and see if I'm able to first, set up gmail via exchange. If so, great and if not, I will then restore from a backup and see if I'm able to successfully use gmail via Exchange. If I am, great, if I'm not, them I'll set it up via the gmail set up. Whatever the result, I'll be sure to post it....:)

03_CTD

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I hear you. Anyway, sometime tomorrow morning, I will reset & restore my iPad 2 as new and see if I'm able to first, set up gmail via exchange. If so, great and if not, I will then restore from a backup and see if I'm able to successfully use gmail via Exchange. If I am, great, if I'm not, them I'll set it up via the gmail set up. Whatever the result, I'll be sure to post it....:)

Thanks again. I look forward to your results.

ritesh

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
To everyone concerned, I bought an Iphone 5 on 4th Feb. Setup my outlook.com a/c as exchange, it was a success, then decided to try setting up my Gmail id as exchange, it was a success ( i dont sync calendar or contact anyways), then decided to try my Google apps ( free hosting) @company.com email ID and that too was successful.

I too, am wondering what really has been discontinued,since it worked for me and my post 30 Jan 13 device. Both my @ gmail Id and company email on GApps are more than 4 years old.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

I look forward to the results of this test.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
After resetting my iPad 2 and selecting to "restore as new", I entered my Wi-Fi credentials, skipped the iTunes/App Store/iCloud setup and immediately proceeded to set up my gmail via exchange and I'm happy to report that the setup was successful. Afterwards, I sent a test email message from my iPhone to my Gmail account and the test email was received instantly via my iPad. Note: nothing else is set up on the iPad and I have no 3rd party apps installed at this point. So there you have it...setting up your current device as new has no affect on the gmail exchange option, (providing you were already using the exchange option w/ your current device) and I'm "assuming" it is the same if you restore from a backup. Seriously though, there is no need for me to restore from a backup at this point because it is now a moot issue. Anyway, take care and have a great day.

03_CTD

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
After resetting my iPad 2 and selecting to "restore as new", I entered my Wi-Fi credentials, skipped the iTunes/App Store/iCloud setup and immediately proceeded to set up my gmail via exchange and I'm happy to report that the setup was successful. Afterwards, I sent a test email message from my iPhone to my Gmail account and the test email was received instantly via my iPad. Note: nothing else is set up on the iPad and I have no 3rd party apps installed at this point. So there you have it...setting up your current device as new has no affect on the gmail exchange option, (providing you were already using the exchange option w/ your current device) and I'm "assuming" it is the same if you restore from a backup. Seriously though, there is no need for me to restore from a backup at this point because it is now a moot issue. Anyway, take care and have a great day.

Excellent that is great news! Thanks again for that test! I'm sure there are many here aside from myself who will find both informative and useful.

What would your take be on setting up a NEW device from backup? If an existing device has the exchange option when restored as new I wonder if a new device would have the same option if restoring from a backup? I'm curious what your thoughts are on how Google is implementing/enforcing this.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Excellent that is great news! Thanks again for that test! I'm sure there are many here aside from myself who will find both informative and useful.
You're very welcome and it was my pleasure.

What would your take be on setting up a NEW device from backup?
Let me just say that it is not a secret that I'm a fan of setting up as new and restoring as new. Having said that, if you were not having issues prior to restoring or prior to upgrading to a new device then restoring or setting up from a backup should not cause a problem whatsoever. Furthermore, if time is of the essence, restoring from a backup is the way to go.
If an existing device has the exchange option when restored as new I wonder if a new device would have the same option if restoring from a backup?
Yes, it would because the option is a part of iOS.
I'm curious what your thoughts are on how Google is implementing/enforcing this.
It is safe to assume that Android users are unaffected. As for iPhone users, I suspect that a majority of users set up Gmail via the Gmail setup as opposed to techies and business users who assumably set up via Exchange. Depending on how Hard Google promotes their Gmail app and/or CardDav as well as the speed in which email arrives via the two mentioned items, it may be a nonissue soon. Think about it. Carriers are slowly moving customers away from unlimited plans and I suspect Google will slowly move customers away from using Exchange. I'm basically unaffected because when iOS 5 was introduced, I made iCloud my primary account and relegated Gmail to secondary status and others have done the same.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i have jailbroke, restored from backup and as new and my gmail exchange has been business as usual as well

i even was on 6.1.1 (beta) and went back to 6.1 and it was fine (not that it really matters i guess)

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for being the guinea pig for us. This is good news.

Gmail has it's own app on Android that natively pushes, I never even tried to configure it with Google Sync.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for being the guinea pig for us. This is good news.
You're very welcome.

Gmail has it's own app on Android that natively pushes, I never even tried to configure it with Google Sync.
There's also a Gmail app for iOS and it also pushes email. The app is actually quite good, but there is currently no way to increase the size of the font in the iOS version and that it impractical for me at this time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73