TomTom Car Kit and iOS 6.1 Untethered JB

mkoch227

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
While using my car kit on iOS 5.1.1 jailbroken, my TomTom Car Kit (External GPS) worked flawlessly. When I upgraded to 6.1 (not jailbroken), I could still use the gps perfectly fine. However, after installing the evasi0n jailbreak, my GPS no longer "locks" onto a signal - I cannot get directions at any time. To make sure it did not have anything to do with a cydia package, I restored my device, rejailbreaked, and tested the GPS - no go.

Does anyone know of a fix for this?

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
While using my car kit on iOS 5.1.1 jailbroken, my TomTom Car Kit (External GPS) worked flawlessly. When I upgraded to 6.1 (not jailbroken), I could still use the gps perfectly fine. However, after installing the evasi0n jailbreak, my GPS no longer "locks" onto a signal - I cannot get directions at any time. To make sure it did not have anything to do with a cydia package, I restored my device, rejailbreaked, and tested the GPS - no go.

Does anyone know of a fix for this?

you think the jailbreak broke your gps? or the application?

mkoch227

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
@3cit: The jailbreak "broke" the actual GPS receiver. Instead of the dot moving down the street in a fluid manner ("driving mode"), it jumps from spot to spot instead (almost like it's losing and reconnecting to the GPS satellites continuously). This effect is present on any navigation app (Apple Maps, Google Maps, TomTom, Navigon, etc)

@kch50428: I will try turning the procedure you posted shortly, and will respond with my results later tonight (11PM EST), as I will be at work from 4p-11p. We'll see if my GPS can navigate me or not :D

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
@3cit: The jailbreak "broke" the actual GPS receiver. Instead of the dot moving down the street in a fluid manner ("driving mode"), it jumps from spot to spot instead (almost like it's losing and reconnecting to the GPS satellites continuously). This effect is present on any navigation app (Apple Maps, Google Maps, TomTom, Navigon, etc)

@kch50428: I will try turning the procedure you posted shortly, and will respond with my results later tonight (11PM EST), as I will be at work from 4p-11p. We'll see if my GPS can navigate me or not :D

so its not just the one application, when i said gps. thats what i meant, like the entire phones gps system...

what tweaks have you installed? becuase i havent heard yet of any others having the same gps situation. probably a conflict with the set of tweaks you have installed

mkoch227

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
@kch50428: Attempting the procedure you provided unfortunately did not work.

@3cit: this is a clean jailbreak, with no tweaks installed (except anything evasi0n may have installed).

let me clarify that this is an iPod Touch using the TomTom External GPS (hence why there is no GPS in the iPod Touch (4th Generation)). If I try to find my location outside of a WiFi zone, here is what I receive:

photo.PNG
(however, the app is allowed to request my location, according to location services (location services = on, GPS Nav 2 = on)

If I am connected to WiFi, it will find my location, and then as I drive the dot will jump around wherever it goes.

Mr_Angry

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,

I too am having GPS issues. I'm using an iphone 4s on 6.1.1 (10B145) with Tom Tom car kit tool, Tom Tom car kit mount and UK & Ireland 1.13.

I can only get a GPS signal when parked.

Since upgrading from 5.1.1 to 6.1 and subsequently 6.1.1 once moving speed does not change, I eventually (after a few feet / metres) lose GPS and get the "Poor GPS" "Waiting on GPS signal" messages.

All other GPS apps (Google maps, City maps to go, GPS kit) are working exactly as expected.

I've tried multiple uninstalls / reinstalls of the app but with no success. I'm having the exact same issue on my 3gs running 6.1 (10B141)

Any help would be greatly appreciated folks.

Last edited:

mkoch227

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I have actually realized that this issue with my iPod Touch 4G on iOS 6.1 occurs on not just on a jailbreak, but on the stock iOS. I have now downgraded back to iOS 5.1.1, waiting for a fix.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77