NC Settings is useless, Compared to SBSettings

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Why do you have such a boner for it? How about letting people decide what they want to install on their own, without making things "mandatory", bundled with Cydia. There's another company that bundles some mostly unwanted things into their software... like a "Stocks" app, or a "Newsstand" one...

SBSettings makes it easy to hide most of the apps you're concerned with being oppressive and forced upon you. It simultaneously offers the option to hide itself if you wish, requiring nothing more than a swipe of the finger to bring it back. If you find the stocks app oppressive, you can disable the swipe and have swapped SBSettings in place of Stocks while losing zero functionality.

See, the whole REASON that the concept of jailbreaking became so popular was it allows an escape from the oppressive/controlling mentality that dictated what should and shouldn't be. I don't use SBSettings. I do use NCSettings. Why? Personally, I don't need all of the stuff that SBS offers. I don't care about changing my carrier string. I don't want to skin my notification center. I just want plain and simple toggles, nothing more. I know where I want them, and I don't need Activator gestures to get into the NC; I'm very used to the way I do it already (though I *could* set up those same gestures that you speak of with SBS— what, I'm sliding down/vertically instead of right/horizontally?)

The "Activator gesture" you speak of is sliding your finger across the screen. It's no different than what you do to get into the NC, as you suggest with your last sentence. If you don't want to be forced to slide your finger, you're SOL either way. Jailbreaking became popular because it offered an excess of new options to use on your phone. Suggesting that a tool that offers more functionality vs one that offers less is against the core nature of what made jailbreaking popular ignores common sense. Granted, not everyone utilizes all of the different options SBSettings offers over NCSettings. That doesn't mean that NCSettings is inherently more in tune with the core of what jailbreaking is.

Thankfully, Jay/saurik nor evasi0n took it upon themselves to pre-install any unnecessary, resource consuming packages that not all of us want or need! Do you know why they refrained?

You post that mobile substrate is the real gem that fixes these issues. You are aware that something you suggest is the essential go between is also not automatically installed. In fact, until you start adding packages, it will not be added.

They're all extremely brilliant people. They understand things that you clearly do not. NGAF about your "fav mods and tweaks" and which of them you believe is "vastly superior" and should come pre-installed. Do you realize how stupid of an idea that is to begin with? To pre-install unnecessary mods/add-ons because "person X" thinks they're cool?

He listed functionality, not "cool" factor. Your inability to interpret the difference between the two is your shortcoming, not his.

That's like the kind of software that comes with the AVG trial and the Bing toolbar, etc. Do you like it when installers pull that sneaky little move? Suppose they didn't give you the choice to opt out of installing their "favorite" (read: the company who is paying them the most) anti-virus, toolbar and registry cleaner? That's effectively what you're suggesting should be done.

I'm not sure if you've ever actually used SBSettings. If you have, you know it's asinine to compare it to the forced toolbars.

I can't believe I wasted my time actually responding to this. Sometimes ignorance just can't be ignored; especially when it's as flagrant and egregious as that nonsense.

Perhaps you should take a look in the mirror before trying to project ignorance. I'm glad you offered primarily cosmetic counterexamples to his functional examples in an attempt to show that it was ignorant to suggest one is more functional than the other. It makes you seem well versed in the top and the farthest possible place from ignorant.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate all the feedback, but let's
Make sure this stays on the topic so that it doesn't get locked up by one of the mods.

mrburns05

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
If you'd say it's useless when compared, that would make SBS useless, with the added "eyesore", and cluttered junk that many don't need. There are 8 toggles that I use, NCS has them, I don't need all the extra junk with SBS. Don't get me wrong though, I liked SBS , until nc came along, then it was like cleaning out all the unnecessary features.

It's simple, clean, & fits my needs.

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
If you'd say it's useless when compared, that would make SBS useless, with the added "eyesore", and cluttered junk that many don't need. There are 8 toggles that I use, NCS has them, I don't need all the extra junk with SBS. Don't get me wrong though, I liked SBS , until nc came along, then it was like cleaning out all the unnecessary features.

My thoughts exactly.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

My thoughts too. NC Settings has a toggle that SB Settings doesn't have unless you install another togle package to it. NC looks better, has less stuff cluttering up my screen, is easier to configure and generally does exactly what I want, that of putting some useful toggles directly into my notification centre in a clean and unobtrusive way.

SB has features that I don't want or use (see my wifi ip? Yippee, now my world is complete?!).

Whilst I understand and appreciate that 3cit may strongly believe that SB settings is the "dog's danglies", he must accept that it is purely his opinion.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't think people understand this thread.
Ncsettings does toggles, and a limited amount. Granted it's a widget, so you can place it on your springboard, if you're into that sort of thing.
The look is better, however you can theme sbsettings to a a similar of not identical look.
The few of you who are complaining about all the "extra junk"?
Are you kidding? It's a menu!
With the ability to slightly tweak the status bar. With the ability to flip a few switches.
And with the ability to disable mobile substrate code app by app which if you are jailbroken, you should have.
It's not full of "bloat ware".
Sbsettings is the bees knees.
Not the doggies dangles! :)
Also you decide what exactly is in your notification center!
From nothing at all to every toggle under the sun!
You can also NEVER EVER SEE sbsettings if you choose. Where is all this talk about it cluttering up your screen coming from?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Some people don't want to use SBS... Big whoop. It's their choice - and it doesn't make someone evil incarnate user of "dangles" for not seeing things your way... smh.

Sharma15

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I agree SBSettings is feature packed, but ncsettings integrates with the iOS look more and is more for the simple jail breakers who don't have much knowledge to mess around with a lot of stuff.

I use to use isx quick settings in top shelf because you could add sbsettings toggles to it easier but for a couple of days now I've been using ncsettings and it works better. I had toggles for callbar, my3g, location services, bitesms etc but I realized that I never turned these things off... Ever. Ncsettings looks cleaner and works better for what I need it for, which is just simple toggles for connections and features like auto lock, respring, restarting, etc.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361126483.458602.jpg

mrburns05

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
Lmao! Sounds more like biased, opinionated and ignorant. Just saying. Forget about knowing "how the jailbreak system works" ~ that's irrelevant, you have made no points, only statements of personal opinion. The day sbs becomes absolutely necessary will be the day "jailbreaking " is more like "moving to cell block B"

miah84

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Sbsettings is the one for me. Haven't tried nc and don't need too, but it is nice to have options.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361176604.274700.jpg
I think it looks pretty good.

Sent from my jailbroken iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

I will concede that looks a lot better than the default display options, granted. Can you decrease the depth of the bar though? That bar uses up far too much screen real estate. If it was the same depth, or preferably smaller, than the weather bar below it, it would be fine. The NC Settings bar is not much deeper than the mail/calendar/reminder/etc title bar

iPetem

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Keep getting this error message when trying to access options. Any help?

Moderator Edit: Error message text: "Permissions Error - An ad blocking host file is installed. The app cannot run this way. Would you like to unlock the elements we need? (The app will need to be restarted after.) Buttons: Yes, Fix me. | No.

Last edited by a moderator:

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Keep getting this error message when trying to access options. Any help?

Moderator Edit: Error message text: "Permissions Error - An ad blocking host file is installed. The app cannot run this way. Would you like to unlock the elements we need? (The app will need to be restarted after.) Buttons: Yes, Fix me. | No.

I'm assuming you mean sbsettings, just click yes.
Also Adblock is no longer supported nor endorsed through cydia

Last edited:

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Additionally, just to make things clear here, i understand why people like the simplicity, and tools and look offered by ncsettings and if that's the route you choose, then terrific.
It's just that there is already a very well developed, supported, and widely used BETTER tweak that does all the same things. In addition, pretty much every major theme comes with a sbsettings theme, so of you're a themer it fits better with the overall look.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I will concede that looks a lot better than the default display options, granted. Can you decrease the depth of the bar though? That bar uses up far too much screen real estate. If it was the same depth, or preferably smaller, than the weather bar below it, it would be fine. The NC Settings bar is not much deeper than the mail/calendar/reminder/etc title bar

Are you using NCSettings in a way completely different than I use SBSettings?

You keep bringing up screen real estate. When I don't plan to use a specific tool from SBSettings, I don't drop the menu down. At that point, it uses 0% of my screen. When I want to use a tool, it might as well use my entire screen because I'm focusing on that tool anyway. Once I've made the change, it goes back to 0% of my screen at ALL other times.

Conversely, NCSettings attaches itself to my Notification Center, whether or not I need to use a tool offered by NCSettings or not. There are times I use my NC where I wouldn't be making a change with NCSettings. During those times, NCSettings uses MORE screen real estate than SBSettings ever will. When I drop the NC purely for the use of a tool within NCSettings, this is no different than dropping the SBSettings menu.

Adding SBSettings to the NC as he's done, they're similarly intrusive. But, someone focused SOLELY on screen real estate cannot logically choose NCSettings. What am I missing from how you use it?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Are you using NCSettings in a way completely different than I use SBSettings?

You keep bringing up screen real estate. When I don't plan to use a specific tool from SBSettings, I don't drop the menu down. At that point, it uses 0% of my screen. When I want to use a tool, it might as well use my entire screen because I'm focusing on that tool anyway. Once I've made the change, it goes back to 0% of my screen at ALL other times.

Conversely, NCSettings attaches itself to my Notification Center, whether or not I need to use a tool offered by NCSettings or not. There are times I use my NC where I wouldn't be making a change with NCSettings. During those times, NCSettings uses MORE screen real estate than SBSettings ever will. When I drop the NC purely for the use of a tool within NCSettings, this is no different than dropping the SBSettings menu.

Adding SBSettings to the NC as he's done, they're similarly intrusive. But, someone focused SOLELY on screen real estate cannot logically choose NCSettings. What am I missing from how you use it?

He's just pointing out that for someone who wants to keep the toggles in the Notification Center, SBSettings' toggles are much bigger than NC Settings' toggles. Many people would prefer to use these from the NC instead of relegating an Activator action to the SBS drop down window. What you see as "similarly intrusive" he sees as SBS being "more intrusive." From a design standpoint, I agree.

For what it's worth, I agree that SBS does more--I think that's obvious. But design matters, and "more" on its own is not better for everyone. If it were, we might all be using Android devices.

Last edited:

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I can't seem to make the sbsettings "box" smaller. I resized the weeappbackground in library/plugins/sbsettings from 18x152 to 18x92 (same size as ncsettings) but there was no effect in notification center? so maybe there's a second location somewhere? Anybody know?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro