NC Settings is useless, Compared to SBSettings

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
there has been a wave of support for nc settings lately, and i think it has to do with the look. It seems to me that people dont truly understand what sbsettings actually is...

not only does sbsettings offer the toggles, and toggles upon toggles, upon toggles, it is EXTREMELY well integrated into the notification center. there are MANY themes for sbsettings which can drastically change the appearance. it is customizable, and it is ABSOLUTELY VITAL in troubleshooting.

there are different ways to access sbsettings from anywhere, anytime.
a respring is just a swipe away, as is a reboot, and power down.

carrier names and status information is also customizable
the current state of your device can be found super quick too

ncsettings is good at what it does, but it does so little!

sbsettings is as close to a must have as i can imagine.

i honestly believe that sbsettings should be bundled with the cydia install, it should be as much of a dependency as mobile substrate

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I think it depends on how you use SBS. I'm trying NCSettings right now and honestly it does almost everything I used SBS for--brightness, resprings/reboots/shutdowns/, Airplane mode, flashlight. You're right though that it does look MUCH better out of the box!

jaguar11

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
for my iPhone 5, I started off with Sbsettings but realized that NCsettings is doing everything I need it to anyway. Now, the only deal breaker for me at the moment, either way , is an LTE on/off switch...whoever comes up with that first, I'm gonna switch over. till then, i'll be using the simplistic and minamalist ncsettings.

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I like using both of them. Like it was already mentioned NCS is visually pleasing while SBS's functionality is unmatched. What I used to do is place NCS on my homescreen (via Dashboard X) and assign a two-finger swipe from the top for the SBS window.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
for my iPhone 5, I started off with Sbsettings but realized that NCsettings is doing everything I need it to anyway. Now, the only deal breaker for me at the moment, either way , is an LTE on/off switch...whoever comes up with that first, I'm gonna switch over. till then, i'll be using the simplistic and minamalist ncsettings.

I am sure they are both going to have an LTE switch soon enough.

I am an SBSettings guy though so I am sticking with that.

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
If ncsettings showed my IP address/free ram and could hide icons, I would use it. But it doesn't, so sbsettings for me.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
i think im going to plagarize ncsettings and create a theme for sbsettings to end this insanity once and for all!

ncsettings should be called sbsettingslite

mk3s

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I just found out about ncsettings and now have it installed instead of sbsettings. NCsettings has that super minimal look that is very appealing. There are some great themes for SBSettings and obviously sbsettings has way more functionality but that functionality isn't anything that isn't already replicated in other tweaks i have. Omnistat (another nc widget) can free ram and show me my ip and such. Springtomize can do basically everything else that sbsettings can. USing SBSettings means you have to have an activator action assigned to invoke sbsettings, this is an action you could use for something else. Also you can use NCsettings without even having to have activator installed if having it installed bothers you for some reason. SBSettings has many more toggles than ncsettings but many of those toggles you have to go and download individually. NCSettings comes with most if not all of the standard toggles most people want. However if youre looking for a mywi or other specialty toggles sbsettings is the only way to go.

nemofound

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
NCSettings offers the basic functions of SBSettings and does so without requiring Activator, which seemed to be the root cause of my phone crashing after jailbreaking. Being able to do everything without Activator gives NCSettings an unparalleled advantage over SBSettings for those who have difficulties with Activator.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
so heres the deal.
youre jailbroken
something WILL GO WRONG.
you WILL NEED SBSETTINGS TO FIX IT.
this is a bit of hyperbole, but seriously, sbsettings is a jailbreak saving tool.
i will openly admit that ncsettngs looks great. but toggles are nice, sbsettings is ART
for all you peple out there that insist on nc settings, at least install sbsettings, open up the app, disable the notification center part, open up activator and disable the swipe right/left across status bar. hide it away in a folder way in back of your springboard, but for the love of apple have it on your device for that moment when there is no jailbreakable firmware and youre device keeps crashing to safemode for some unknown reason

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Out of curiosity, how do you see SBSettings as being better than the safe boot built into Mobile Substrate? (I assume when you say it's a jailbreak saver, you're talking about the ability to disable extensions?)

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Out of curiosity, how do you see SBSettings as being better than the safe boot built into Mobile Substrate? (I assume when you say it's a jailbreak saver, you're talking about the ability to disable extensions?)

cuz volume up boot
1. takes minutes longer than a respring
2. you need to delete tweaks from cydia
3. reboot back into normal mode to test

sbsettings,
flip toggle, press home, wait for respring
rinse and repeat
about 3 (MAX) minutes a test from start to finish

also those rare occasions, those with broken volume keys

getdamned

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Why do you have such a boner for it? How about letting people decide what they want to install on their own, without making things "mandatory", bundled with Cydia. There's another company that bundles some mostly unwanted things into their software... like a "Stocks" app, or a "Newsstand" one...

See, the whole REASON that the concept of jailbreaking became so popular was it allows an escape from the oppressive/controlling mentality that dictated what should and shouldn't be. I don't use SBSettings. I do use NCSettings. Why? Personally, I don't need all of the stuff that SBS offers. I don't care about changing my carrier string. I don't want to skin my notification center. I just want plain and simple toggles, nothing more. I know where I want them, and I don't need Activator gestures to get into the NC; I'm very used to the way I do it already (though I *could* set up those same gestures that you speak of with SBS? what, I'm sliding down/vertically instead of right/horizontally?)

So to answer your rather asinine question; different people have different preferences and they need/want different things. Ok, SBS can do a lot more things than NCS... cool.

Here's a thought: What use is "more" if I never use any of it?! It's called "bloat" at that point. I don't want all of the stuff that SBS offers? and never did, truly; so to me, NCS was awesome when it came out.

Thankfully, Jay/saurik nor evasi0n took it upon themselves to pre-install any unnecessary, resource consuming packages that not all of us want or need! Do you know why they refrained?

They're all extremely brilliant people. They understand things that you clearly do not. NGAF about your "fav mods and tweaks" and which of them you believe is "vastly superior" and should come pre-installed. Do you realize how stupid of an idea that is to begin with? To pre-install unnecessary mods/add-ons because "person X" thinks they're cool?

That's like the kind of software that comes with the AVG trial and the Bing toolbar, etc. Do you like it when installers pull that sneaky little move? Suppose they didn't give you the choice to opt out of installing their "favorite" (read: the company who is paying them the most) anti-virus, toolbar and registry cleaner? That's effectively what you're suggesting should be done.

Get out of here with that stupid BS. Your breath smells like ... it's bothering those of us who have a shred of common sense.

I can't believe I wasted my time actually responding to this. Sometimes ignorance just can't be ignored; especially when it's as flagrant and egregious as that nonsense.

getdamned

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
so heres the deal.
youre jailbroken something WILL GO WRONG. you WILL NEED SBSETTINGS TO FIX IT [...] have it on your device for that moment when there is no jailbreakable firmware and youre device keeps crashing to safemode for some unknown reason

So you can GUARANTEE that SOMETHING WILL GO WRONG?

I'm going to NEED SBS to fix it? Really? I'd have to disagree, because I've fixed some pretty daunting problems in my past experience... and SBS was not a part of the solution? in fact, it wasn't even installed on the devices!

How did they get fixed?! The laws of nature have been unfaithful, seemingly.

I think the reality here is not that other people do not understand what SBS does? it's that YOU don't.

Mobile Substrate is a framework which acts as a go-between, protecting Springboard from bad/conflicting third-party code and preventing an otherwise helpless SB from going into an endless crash/restart loop. It is a dependency of SBS? NOT the other way around. Mobile Substrate does not need SBS to function. You are confusing "SBS" with a separate framework that is fully independent of it. In the same, Activator operates autonomously, and is in no way dependent on SBS.

So, these functionalities that you're largely attributing to the glory of SBS... in reality have nothing to do with it, other than SBS relies on them to provide the things that you keep raving about. Are you sure that YOU understand what SBS does and doesn't do (alone)? I don't think you're entirely sure, and you're acting like a zealot over something that you don't seem to even fully grasp. Then again... that's a pretty common characteristic of a stereotypical "zealot"? of which, you fit the definition quite beautifully.

SBS and NCS are two different mods/tweaks, that are aimed at different user bases. Why can't you just leave it at that?

Impartial. Objective. Unbiased.

Look those terms up and attempt to "integrate" them into your mental processes, since you seem to have such a rager for "integration".

I feel like I'm watching Fox News, for fuxakes...

Last edited:

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
i wish you the best

also im well aware of how the jailbreak system works.
and im very biased and opinionated and arrogant, and i am right about sbsettings.

and every point i have made is spot on and accurate.

Last edited:

getdamned

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I have? trust me. When it happens, I read through the crash dumps/logs, I find out what thread/module is causing the crashing, then I fix the problem? manually, most times.

I'm a computer programmer, professionally. I deal with crashes and debugging for a *living*? I know what I'm talking about. I can guarantee you something back: if a problem can be fixed WITH SBSettings, it can be fixed WITHOUT it.

There are 0 cases where fixing a crash is contingent upon whether SBSettings is installed on the device or not? save the ironic scenario that SBSettings, itself, is causing the crash. It is NOT vital to resolving crashes. I'm sorry. It's not. It's Mobile Substrate's fat one you should be sucking on.

Safe mode, crash recovery = Mobile Substrate

SBSettings is NOT Mobile Substrate. Mobile Substrate is NOT SBSettings.

They weren't even written by the same people! BigBoss wrote SBSettings; Jay Freeman/saurik wrote Mobile Substrate.

If you need to be proven wrong, ask Jay Freeman, himself. *He* will tell you that you're wrong. I gotta go for now though. I've wasted enough time arguing against unwavering ignorance.

Are you Tom Cruise IRL?

You are, aren't you!?

You're tenacious, I'll give you that...