ota update help

gixx1070

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the noob question, I downloaded my update via ota on my ip5. Can someone please instruct me on what to do now.
Thanks for any help.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
The jailbreak should work fine. But, you're losing SHSH blog support. That's useful for later returning to 6.1 if necessary.

Honestly, Cydia and the jailbreak community repositories are so slammed right now you're best off restoring via iTunes. The hour it'll take to download and install 6.1 from iTunes will provide you a recent backup, a bit of time for Cydia to catch up, and the SHSH blobs you want going forward.

After that, or skipping that step, simply go to the www.evasi0n.com site and download the appropriate installer version. It's one of the easier jailbreaks. You don't have to bother with holding any keys for set times, etc. Just plug in the device, close iTunes, hit jailbreak, and follow on screen instructions. Those amount to "don't touch your device" and "ok, unlock it and click the new icon." The rest takes care of itself.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
The jailbreak should work fine. But, you're losing SHSH blog support. That's useful for later returning to 6.1 if necessary.

Honestly, Cydia and the jailbreak community repositories are so slammed right now you're best off restoring via iTunes. The hour it'll take to download and install 6.1 from iTunes will provide you a recent backup, a bit of time for Cydia to catch up, and the SHSH blobs you want going forward.

After that, or skipping that step, simply go to the www.evasi0n.com site and download the appropriate installer version. It's one of the easier jailbreaks. You don't have to bother with holding any keys for set times, etc. Just plug in the device, close iTunes, hit jailbreak, and follow on screen instructions. Those amount to "don't touch your device" and "ok, unlock it and click the new icon." The rest takes care of itself.

Gixx, listen to this advice, it's worth it. Cydia servers are being slammed right now so your best bet is to do a restore to 6.1 via iTunes. Don't rush into this by going straight for the jailbreak as you'll have to wait for the Cydia servers to calm down before you can do anything anyway.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
If I restore via iTunes will I lose anything on my phone apps etc?
It should backup prior to the restore. If you'd like to be extra safe, start your own backup prior to restore.

If you choose to Sync prior to the backup, apps purchased on your phone transfer to your computer. After the backup and restore, your old data is placed back onto the phone, including text messages up to the point of the backup.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro