Save your SHSH Blobs peeps! [how to video!]

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
jailbreaking is fun, as you know. however, sometimes you might need to restore for whatever reason and it will be when Apple is no longer signing the desired OS - OF COURSE!

this is a great video explaining how to save your blobs which NEED to be done if you plan on preserving your 6.1 jailbreak (or any that require it)

How to save iOS 6.1 SHSH blobs - YouTube

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Why would Apple stop signing the firmware? For that matter, wouldn't the firmware be "signed" when it's released? IOW, wouldn't iOS 6.1 always be signed when retrieved either OTA or via iTunes?

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Why would Apple stop signing the firmware? For that matter, wouldn't the firmware be "signed" when it's released? IOW, wouldn't iOS 6.1 always be signed when retrieved either OTA or via iTunes?

No. Let's say you have a iPhone 4 on 4.2.1 and jailbroken. You stay on that for years and years, and you never save your blobs. Then something bad happens and you have to restore. You want to stay on 4.2.1 but Apple is currently on 6.1. In order to install a firmware that Apple is not signing (aka anything but the current) you need the blobs, which is Apple's stamp of approval. This tricks the server and lets you out 4.2.1 on your device. Without the blobs (and for newer devices) the AP tickets, you can only restore to current firmware.

Basically it lets you forge a "hall pass" of sorts.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
No. Let's say you have a iPhone 4 on 4.2.1 and jailbroken. You stay on that for years and years, and you never save your blobs. Then something bad happens and you have to restore. You want to stay on 4.2.1 but Apple is currently on 6.1. In order to install a firmware that Apple is not signing (aka anything but the current) you need the blobs, which is Apple's stamp of approval. This tricks the server and lets you out 4.2.1 on your device. Without the blobs (and for newer devices) the AP tickets, you can only restore to current firmware.

Basically it lets you forge a "hall pass" of sorts.

I'm still missing something here. I have an iPod Touch on iOS 5.1.1, it will never go higher than that because iOS6 does not support this model. My iTunes has within its system profile (Win7: "C:\Users\[userid]AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates") three files for the iPod: An ipsw for iOS 4, a signature file for iOS4 and a restore.ipsw file for iOS 5.

Does this mean that I could revert to iOS4 on this device and regain JB with the appropriate JB tool, but not for iOS5 unless I save the blobs now?

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm still missing something here. I have an iPod Touch on iOS 5.1.1, it will never go higher than that because iOS6 does not support this model. My iTunes has within its system profile (Win7: "C:\Users\[userid]AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates") three files for the iPod: An ipsw for iOS 4, a signature file for iOS4 and a restore.ipsw file for iOS 5.

Does this mean that I could revert to iOS4 on this device and regain JB with the appropriate JB tool, but not for iOS5 unless I save the blobs now?

No. Unless you have saved your SHSH blobs, which Cydia MAY do automatically, you can never restore to anything other than the latest firmware for your device.

bahandi

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Just so I understand, saving my blobs now (iPhone 5 OS 6.1) will allow me to stay jail broken should iOS7 come out?

But, I can still jailbreak without saving my blobs, running the risk of losing my jail break if iOS7 was released?

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Just so I understand, saving my blobs now (iPhone 5 OS 6.1) will allow me to stay jail broken should iOS7 come out?

But, I can still jailbreak without saving my blobs, running the risk of losing my jail break if iOS7 was released?

No. SHSH have nothing to do with the jailbreak, only restoring to a firmware.

If you are jailbroken now, you can stay that way forever, even after iOS 7 comes out.

Not saving the SHSH will not ruin a jailbreak, only restoring. That is what they're for--restoring. Not jailbreaking.

dowdyrich

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
First iPhone, first JailBreak... Not 100% sure why or what I just did, but I did it lol! TinyUmbrella was very simple to use (after downloading JRE). Thanks!

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
just saved my 6.1.1 Blobs and anyone else should as well

if 6.1.2 does drop next week it could be the evasi0n killer!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro