Intelliscreenx for iOS 6: $5 Upgrade Fee

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
did intelliborn revamp the ISX UI as well?

i don't mind paying the extra $5 for something new and improved

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
You could always use what Apple pre installs on your iPhone. It's free. No jailbreak needed. :)
If you're only using the apps that come pre-installed and haven't made any use of the App Store, you might as well have remained on an older phone. The amount of cash you've spent and failed to utilize the product is an act of willful stupidity.

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't mind paying for an app—but ISX is far and away the most expensive app I ever bought, and is the ONLY one that has ever charged me for an update. Imagine if you had to pay an upgrade fee for every app you use, every time iOS was updated—customers would be up in arms.

The business model, however imperfect, is well established by now—breaking from it so dramatically was sure to upset existing customers.

I think the App Store set a very hurting precedent for developers. In the pre-iPhone era mobile applications used to cost around $30-50, especially if we're talking document editing. And they hardly ever got updated.
Then the App Store drops and you see the race to the bottom. While the sheer number of sales could somewhat compensate for the low price, this sort of business model requires infinite growth - something unattainable. That's why the freemium apps are on the rise.

Overall I see an app purchase as a two-stage process. In the first stage you try and buy the app - you pay for the effort that was already put into creating the software. But then an update comes out - if it's just bug fixes, you shouldn't pay (in fact the dev should partially refund you for delivering an inferior product). But if the updates comes with new features, things that add extra value to the app, then it's quite clear that the developer deserves to be paid again.

When it comes to Intelliborn and more specifically MyWi (as I've yet to try ISX) I feel that they offer a unique feature - OnDemand. Since 80% of the time I don't have wifi access, having the most battery efficient and easy way to tether to my iPad is essential for me. Sure $20 for MyWi, $5 for OnDemand and $5 for iOS 6 compatibility seems like a lot, but as I explained in my first paragraph this is the exact price we used to pay for mobile applications. And as others have already pointed out in the thread, their market is shrinking and they need every penny if they are to continue investing in JB apps.

bakerman1

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
To me everything would be fine if we still had access to the older version that we paid for. Basically the choice is, pay the upgrade fee or don't use the product :/. Even if the new product has new features, we don't have a choice to say, "nah those don't appeal to me I will stick with what I bought." We just lose what we paid for...thats crappy service...

aggieastrosfan

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
To me everything would be fine if we still had access to the older version that we paid for. Basically the choice is, pay the upgrade fee or don't use the product :/. Even if the new product has new features, we don't have a choice to say, "nah those don't appeal to me I will stick with what I bought." We just lose what we paid for...thats crappy service...

Exactly what I was thinking. Normally you get the option to pay for the upgrade, but if you decline, you can still use the app with the older features. This is what angers me - I either pay yet another $5, or the $10 I already paid for the app is now a complete waste because it's not usable at all anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

dfwjohn

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I forgot how which email I used to link my Cydia, so on my 5 I just connected with Facebook. After it loaded, it recognized I had ISX- but it saids Library 5. I realize I have to pay the fee for the upgrade, where do I go to upgrade/pay the fee instead of paying the full 9.99 again?

rell89

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
The worst part is that in Cydia, if you go to the version intended for iOS 5 and under, it lists iOS 6 compatability. I'm fine if they do not give me new features, just give me the version I previously paid for. A warning would have been good to well before hand.

Lodingi

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site

Yup. Looks like a money grab to me.

Lodingi

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
well they grabbed my money and then i decided that i do not want/need it lol. oh well

Had I been able to use the program after my 6.1 update, I most likely would have purchased the upgrade. But this is really twisting my nuts. Ouch.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I ended up paying for it just to see if I want to go back (and as a way of supporting planetbeing who I'm guessing is still involved with ISX). It's definitely more stylish than Lockinfo, but I've still got a long way to go to decide what to use in the long run.

XIPRELAY

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
You know i wouldn't be so upset about all of this but now they want new customers to pay 25$ for it and on top of that their are still bugs like the weather replacement locate not working.
(which is one of the main reasons i purchased ISX in the first place)

If this isn't a money grab i don't know what is.

Lodingi

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
You know i wouldn't be so upset about all of this but now they want new customers to pay 25$ for it and on top of that their are still bugs like the weather replacement locate not working.
(which is one of the main reasons i purchased ISX in the first place)

If this isn't a money grab i don't know what is.

$25? Are they serious? For $25, this app better come with oral treats.

ridiculocity

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
When I read about the $5 update at first I was a little angry but then remembered that the cost is the equivalent of a coffee and a morning newspaper and then built a bridge and moved on. In the 4 days its been back on my iPhone 5 the functionality joys far outweigh a measily $5.

Relletti

Trusted Member
Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I recently just went on and purchased the upgrade. I did miss intelliscreen a lot. I also like the flashlight replacing the data button in quick settings.

Tapatalking

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I don't necessarily mind an upgrade fee but I've had nothing but trouble with my iP5 & intelliscreenX. First installing caused infinite reboots but was fixed in today's update. Now ISX will overlay LockInfo & prevent me from entering my lock code. I've found a workaround where I press emergency call & all goes away but that is a pain.

I couldn't even try ISX 6 for free since when I tried to install it only allowed me to purchase not install.

I feel cheated out of my $5 upgrade fee & will probably stop purchasing Intelliborn apps.

BTW, My3G hoses my phone too. Don't know if that was the iP5 bug or not but don't want to restore & reinstall everything again

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't necessarily mind an upgrade fee but I've had nothing but trouble with my iP5 & intelliscreenX. First installing caused infinite reboots but was fixed in today's update. Now ISX will overlay LockInfo & prevent me from entering my lock code. I've found a workaround where I press emergency call & all goes away but that is a pain.

I couldn't even try ISX 6 for free since when I tried to install it only allowed me to purchase not install.

I feel cheated out of my $5 upgrade fee & will probably stop purchasing Intelliborn apps.

BTW, My3G hoses my phone too. Don't know if that was the iP5 bug or not but don't want to restore & reinstall everything again

Wait, you're running Lockinfo AND IntelliscreenX at the same time on your lockscreen? That's probably your issue right there.

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Wait, you're running Lockinfo AND IntelliscreenX at the same time on your lockscreen? That's probably your issue right there.

No, I turned off ISX in setting from showing on the lock screen but it still show up anyway.

On iPhone 4S running 5.1.1 I could run both apps without issues.