Updating my 4S from 5.1.1 to 6.1... a few questions if I may!

Recipe7

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I'll be making the move from 5.1.1 to 6.1 (obviously due to the new JB).

I love the way my 5.1.1 is, took a lot of trial and error and I has it the ways I wants it.

However, I do want to get with the times and move to 6.1. I have a few questions

1. Is there a way to save EVERYTHING AS IS so once I move to 6.1 I can simply restore the data to how it currently is on 5.1.1?

2. Should I wait for a while? I'm sure there are cydia tweaks which aren't on iOS 6 yet right?

3. Should I even consider doing it when 5.1.1 is working just fine (minus the occassional crash to safemode)?

4. What else should I know? I've been distant from JBing since I got my 5.1.1 4S back in April of last year. What should I look out for?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I would look for tweaks that you use are compatible before upgrading .. Just because you can jb doesn't mean every tweak will work

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Recipe7

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes I understand there will be some that won't be working on iOS 6. I have an extensive list... it's going to be a pain to sift through.

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
As far as compatibility goes, there's a recent thread here with a link to a Google document. Take a look.

Backups? Sure there are several apps out there that can save your tweaks. Not sure which one to recommend since I haven't used any of them. Do a little dgging and you're bound to find what you need.

Do you need to hold off? I'd guess maybe a little bit. Wait until a few hundred people have tried the jailbreak. Use your common sense after that :)

Recipe7

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks iDonev, I will check out that document.

If I discover anything important, I suppose I'll post it on this thread in case other people might need some information.

Recipe7

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I have another concern today. What about my games with saved progress? How do i save them? Do i have to do it manually or is there a way/app that can save them for me?

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I have another concern today. What about my games with saved progress? How do i save them? Do i have to do it manually or is there a way/app that can save them for me?

If you plan on restoring from backup, that will have your saved progress in it. If you plan on starting over fresh, use an app like Data Depo to save your app data to dropbox. You can then jailbreak, re-run data depo and pull the app data back down.

There are apps in Cydia like xBackup to restore your jailbreak tweaks, but I don't recommend it, as it may force installs that are not compatible with your device.

Recipe7

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info! Im working on data depo now!

So from what ive been reading and hearing, i guess a manual install of my tweaks are necessary. This is definitely going to tale a while

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the info! Im working on data depo now!

So from what ive been reading and hearing, i guess a manual install of my tweaks are necessary. This is definitely going to tale a while

I just updated from 5.1.1 to 6.1 last night and its a lot smoother. As far as it tweaks, may take a while to get everything back to like u had it on 5.1.1 with Cydia being slammed. I've got my main ones back; ie bitesms, SBSettings, etc... But liking the feel so far

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
If you not sure you can remember your tweaks, take a screen shot of your installed packages. At least then you'll have a nice list to reference.

Recipe7

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Yep. Making sure everything is compatible with iOS 6.1 first

Alright, I'll probably be doing the same. Multicleaner doen't see to work for 6.1, I am so bummed about that.

If you not sure you can remember your tweaks, take a screen shot of your installed packages. At least then you'll have a nice list to reference.

I am using App Info to forward myself all the stuffs on my phone. Should prove handy for the upgrade. Thanks.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods