Old iOS ipad 2, how to update and jailbreak this?

Mueslis

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone,

So I have an iPad 2 with iOS 4.3.3 jailbreaked ... Until now because of loads of work I haven't found time to update and jailbreak it again. And since the jailbreak I did is like 2years ago. I am completely out of date with these matters...?

Can someone explain in simple terms what the steps are now for me to update and jailbreak this? I read a ton of stuff (i finally am on vacation) but I must say I am a bit confused. You don't have to be super precise...I just would appreciate a roadmap to guide me trough, the details I will handle and search for myself.

Also what iOS would you recomend I update to?

Thank you so much!

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I always go here iClarified - Apple News and Tutorials for my JB how to the site is great. You want to head to the Tutorials section and here is a link to the iPad section iClarified - Tutorials - iPad

The iOS 6 JB will be out this weekend and I believe it will support all hardware so I would say update your iPad to iOS 6.1 now. There is a thread that goes through the process of upgrading and saving your SHSH blobs incase you need to downgrade I think it's this one http://forums.imore.com/jailbreakin...aking-tool-announced-will-called-evasi0n.html so read thorugh that. Basically do not do the update OTA through the settings of the iPad but instead do a backup of the iPad then hit Restore in iTunes. The restore will reload the OS with the latest 6.1 and then when it prompts you choose restore from backup to get your settings and apps back. You will lose your JB and your progress in your games, etc. because you haven't been using iCloud to backup. So once you're setup on iOS 6.1 I would suggest setting up iCloud backup. Also maybe read through the forum for steps on backing up your JB apps I know there are a few methods available.

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
... Basically do not do the update OTA through the settings of the iPad but instead do a backup of the iPad then hit Restore in iTunes. The restore will reload the OS with the latest 6.1 and then when it prompts you choose restore from backup to get your settings and apps back. You will lose your JB and your progress in your games, etc. because you haven't been using iCloud to backup.

Ipheuria, I may be totally off, but wouldn't a local backup contain everything - including game progress? To my knowledge iCloud/local backups are identical.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
so plug in iDevice
open itunes
back up
restore as new
restore from back up
on sunday download evasi0n package and jailbreak 6.1 untethered
enjoy?
think that just about covers everyone everywhere...

Mueslis

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Ok guys:) thank you very much! I now have an idea what lies ahead of me. Going to read that iclarified tutorial and wait for the weekend to do the jailbreak. Lets hope all goes well with the new one:)

Cheers!

Mueslis

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Ipheuria, I may be totally off, but wouldn't a local backup contain everything - including game progress? To my knowledge iCloud/local backups are identical.

it's been so long that I haven't used iCloud I don't even remember. I just remember back in the old days of local backup that some things didn't get restored like game saves. It had your settings, Messages, Pictures, etc. but I swear there was something it didn't backup. I could be totally wrong though?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Ok guys:) thank you very much! I now have an idea what lies ahead of me. Going to read that iclarified tutorial and wait for the weekend to do the jailbreak. Lets hope all goes well with the new one:)

Cheers!

Mueslis

sure you'll be fine if now post up :)

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
it's been so long that I haven't used iCloud I don't even remember. I just remember back in the old days of local backup that some things didn't get restored like game saves. It had your settings, Messages, Pictures, etc. but I swear there was something it didn't backup. I could be totally wrong though?

As far back as iOS 4.3 backups had game saves in them - link. I was too lazy to search further back :D

Mueslis

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
shoot, I wanted to jailbreak it now, but itunes wants to update my ipad do the 6.1.3, and that's the patched one isn't it? is it possible to just update to 6.1.2 ?!

thanks guys :)

edit: oh! sorry, there is an option to update it to 6.1.2. :) that is not patched, I hope :)

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
You can download the 6.1.2 ipsw for your iPad and do an Option+Restore(Mac) or Shift+Restore(Windows) if Apple is still signing 6.1.2. Since 6.1.3 just came out they are probably still signing 6.1.2 they usually do for a few days.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh