iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confirms Pod2G

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confi...

No, because the ipsw is mixed with the old one, causing the ap tickets to mismatch. That is why a full restore is preferred.

Laelipoo, do you know if doing a full restore after you've updated to 6.1 using the "Update" button updates the APTickets?

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confi...

[double post, ignore me]

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confi...

Laelipoo, do you know if doing a full restore after you've updated to 6.1 using the "Update" button updates the APTickets?

As long as you never saved the shsh and tickets from the update, then you should be fine.

shampz

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
You're welcome. It got really complicated with the A5+ devices, and keeping it all straight is a chore.

Still confused. Is there anything i can do now since i updated normally using iTunes? Any one knows if following the steps now as described will make any difference??

anygivensunday

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confi...

Thanks for clearing that up as well i was completely confused ( new to iphone) i thought since i did update over ota jb-ing was out of question. But i dont care about downgrading to an older os so i think i should be all good?

tourstagefan

May 15, 2010
Visit site
plug into iTunes and select restore. it will download the updated firmware to your computer then restore

or go here Download iOS firmwares, jailbreak tools and more

Apologies, it's been a couple of years since I last jailbroke my iP4.

Just to confirm, I should take the following steps?

1.) Connect to iTunes via cable

2.) Click on the "Restore" tab BEFORE/INSTEAD OF hitting the "Update" tab?

Are there any additional steps needed? If anyone using a MAC could chime in, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Doing a restore will downgrade me to 6.0.2. Then i update following the steps mentioned on the 2nd page. Correct?? Then i will be set. Am i correct??

Unless there's something wrong with Apple's server, the restore should put you on 6.1. Then you should be okay.

Apologies, it's been a couple of years since I last jailbroke my iP4.

Just to confirm, I should take the following steps?

1.) Connect to iTunes via cable

2.) Click on the "Restore" tab BEFORE/INSTEAD OF hitting the "Update" tab?

Are there any additional steps needed? If anyone using a MAC could chime in, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Check my post at the end of Page 1.

infty

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

As long as you never saved the shsh and tickets from the update, then you should be fine.

Ok. So if I updated OTA to 6.1, I can still be ok when Apple releases a nonjailbreakable update as long as I follow the steps on page 1 and haven't saved ssh and tickets? How do I know if I've saved shsh and tickets?

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't know why but I decided to update to 6.1 just to check out stock again and the new features of iOS 6. The jb can't come soon enough. Thanks for the info in this thread. I do enjoy the extra smoothness from stock but that's about it.

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site

Ok. So if I updated OTA to 6.1, I can still be ok when Apple releases a nonjailbreakable update as long as I follow the steps on page 1 and haven't saved ssh and tickets? How do I know if I've saved shsh and tickets?

Because you have to manually save them through redsn0w or tiny umbrella which you should do ASAP.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

You almost got it!

1. Connect iPhone to iTunes via cable.
2. Do a backup.
3. Open this site and download the iOS 6.1 firmware for your device.
4. In iTunes hold the Shift/Option key on your keyboard and hit Restore.
5. Navigate to the 6.1 firmware you downloaded in step 3.
6. When the restore is complete you'll be on 6.1. Now restore from the backup you made in step 2 to restore your apps and data.

Tried this and got the error "The iPhone could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible." I am using the file 'iPhone5,1_6.1_10B143_Restore.ipsw' (I have a GSM (UK) Iphone 5 currently on 6.02)

Steps 1, 2, 3 (although I got the file from iDownload) are fine. Clicked Shift-restore, navigated to the file above and got the error above.

Are there any steps in the above that aren't indicated please?

I reckon i'm making a rookie mistake. Do I need to download the 6.02 version from iDownload instead please? At any point do I need to wipe the phone, return it to factory defaults and set up as new phone (after backing up of course?)

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

Tried this and got the error "The iPhone could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible." I am using the file 'iPhone5,1_6.1_10B143_Restore.ipsw' (I have a GSM (UK) Iphone 5 currently on 6.02)

Steps 1, 2, 3 (although I got the file from iDownload) are fine. Clicked Shift-restore, navigated to the file above and got the error above.

I reckon i'm making a rookie mistake. Do I need to download the 6.02 version from iDownload instead please? At any point do I need to wipe the phone, return it to factory defaults and set up as new phone (after backing up of course?)

Try just hitting Restore in iTunes - that should prompt you to update to 6.1 as well. You can do this with no negative consequences at this time, but it's a bad habit to get into if you plan on keeping the jailbreak after Apple patches the exploits.

tres

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site

This sounds like the error I get when I forget to first upgrade itunes.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

Try just hitting Restore in iTunes - that should prompt you to update to 6.1 as well. You can do this with no negative consequences at this time, but it's a bad habit to get into if you plan on keeping the jailbreak after Apple patches the exploits.

Thanks mate. Yes I do plan on keeping the Jailbreak. When I click on the Restore button, everything is as it should be and as you describe. I''m just in the process of downloading the update via iTunes now. I clicked the 'Download Only' button at this time. I want to make sure that I am not gimping myself for the future by just installing the update via iTunes instead of via the iDownloadblog.com link

tres, I have version 11.0.1 of iTunes, which the 'Check for Updates' section in the help menu suggests is the latest version.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR