Looking for help with IOS 5.0 tethered jailbreak restore

Meatheadmoe

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Hello,
I am new to this forum, so I read the introductory posts, and also the FAQ on the problem I am having and have yet to come up with an answer.

I own 2 Iphone 4's, a while back I upgraded them to 5.0 (when it was new) and put on a tethered jailbreak. My wife and I have just been dealing with the tethered JB for a while. Most recently, I have upgraded our phones to Iphone 4s, only to sell the old ones for a little bit of money to add improvements to our house.

Now, the problem I am having.

From what I believe, because the JB I used was tethered, I am unable to restore the phone from it's settings because when it tries to restart itself, it can't be turned back on without a computer.
So what I've been attempting to do for the past couple weeks, was restore the phones to ios 5.1.1, so when I sell them hopefully attract a larger market for people who also want to JB them.
Tiny Umbrella says that I have the SHSH's saved from 5.1.1 (and many others). But also Tiny umbrella also has the option to set host to cydia on exit greyed out, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get that working.
Also, when I try to shift-restore the phone using Itunes, I get a slew of errors ranging from 21, 20, 1601 ect.
I've done many things to the host file (after backing it up of course), like adding the gs.apple.com links and such, to no avail.
So today I decided to bypass my headache and just upgrade the phones to ios 6.0.1, and hope the potential people interested in them were also not interested in jailbreaking them. But, when I tried to regular restore them from Itunes, I'm still getting the same errors, 1601 and such. Now, usually I don't post help threads on forums. I usually do google search after google search, having 100 web pages open at 1 time, refering from 1 to another in hopes that I might stumble upon the solution. But unfortunately I have come up short.

Also, being new to this, I don't quite know if there are some logs and such I need to post to better help people who are trying to help me.

I am on windows 7, using ios 5.0 on an Iphone 4

Thanks,
Dan

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Don't worry dude, you're about two steps away...
Two options... Keep it at ios6.0.1 and it is still able to be jailbroken, tethered right now, but untethered in the not so distant future.
Or you can downgrade it back to ios5.1.1
Either way you are looking at redsnow 15b3
And I will post the link here in a few minutes to tutorials with pictures

You may just want to use the latest version of redsn0w to restore. Blog.iphone-dev.org

Just make sure to carefully read the instructions.

EDIT: Now that I am on my computer I can post the relevant bits for you

The newest version of redsn0w lets you directly restore pre-A5 devices to earlier firmware ? no more complicated 15-step how-to?s with stitching, iTunes errors, and ?hosts file? concerns. This is a good thing and should avoid your issues.

Download it from the link I posted earlier in this message. Run it, if on windows you may have to be in compatibility mode. Go to Extras->Even More->Restore, and follow the prompts. When it asks, click "remote blobs". You must also have a local copy of the right 5.1.1 ipsw on your machine and let redsn0w know where it is when prompted. Run it. And be happy.

A tutorial with pictures for you: How to Upgrade with RedSn0w Restore

iPhone 5 ✲ iPad 3 WiFi ✲ Macbook Pro running Lion 10.8.2 ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!

Follow that info. Give thanks to Laelipoo

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
You know 3cit you make my life so much easier by reposting that when needed. :)

iPhone 5 ✲ iPad 3 WiFi ✲ Macbook Pro running Lion 10.8.2 ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk 2!

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
You know 3cit you make my life so much easier by reposting that when needed. :)

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk 2!

He might as well add your post in TextExpander :D

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2