iphone 4 ios 4.2.8 jailbroken problems

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Just a quick point redsn0w dumps a copy of your blob/s in the redsn0w folder locally, where you launch redsn0w from. Then you can point at if from there. That's how I've always done it by stitching the firmware to a local copy. Redsn0w may be different to when I last used it back on one of the previous versions.

Good luck with it, you are in very capable hands with 3cit and Laelipoo. ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't think that'll be an issue, since it's more recent. You may just want to comment over on the dev blog, they might be able to figure out what the issue is.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I actually downloaded the wrong redsn0w 15b3 instead of 15b1..

15b3 is the same thing as b1 with bug fixes so you should be good to go with 15b3.

depending on how brave you are feeling...
i could not restore to 5.1.1 so i updated to 6.0.1 and then i downgraded and it worked first try...
might be another route to a fresh restore of 5.1.1

saltyreefguy

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
It verified many times that the blob for my device was out there at cydia/remote, but nothing found on locally. but when i actually try to get to get the blob it gives out a message, ' that no blob for this device(4.2.8) was not found on cydia'. So might have to just upgrade to 6.0.1 ota itunes and downgrade like 3cit said..

few months ago, i jb a iphone4 on 5.1.1 which was the current ios at the time, it was piece cake with no problems.

options so far, since this upgrade/jb is not going too smoothly:
1. upgrade to 6.01 ota jb tethered.
2. upgrade to 6.01 ota then downgrade to 5.1.1 then jb
3. possibly try another pc, maybe my pc isn't working out.
4. ??

watcha guys think, which is my better option or is there any other ones that i am missing? thank you everyone for your gracious help, totally appreciated..:eek:

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
At this point, I would just pick option one. As long as you keep your phone charged, a tethered JB isn't so bad.

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
At this point, I would just pick option one. As long as you keep your phone charged, a tethered JB isn't so bad.

I second this as I've had tethered jailbreaks in the past and I don't think I've ever let my phone run out of battery too. Always good to have a car charger for on the move to.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

I'll third this.
Mobile substrate updated too so most tweaks don't require a reboot anymore when installed, so rebooting doesn't happen often.
Even if a tweak asks to reboot, just kill cydia through app switcher and then respring.

Isn't the jailbreak actually semi-tethered anyway?

saltyreefguy

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
So be it, 6.01 it is, since I really couldnt care for the tethered or not. Is there any better ways of doing this
versus others. Woud the simpliest way to do it, is thru itunes download and upgrate 6.0.1 and jb?

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
So be it, 6.01 it is, since I really couldnt care for the tethered or not. Is there any better ways of doing this
versus others. Woud the simpliest way to do it, is thru itunes download and upgrate 6.0.1 and jb?

If I had a device that I could jailbreak tethered now on 6.0.1, I would do it in a flash because at least you are jailbroken and then when the un-tether patch is available, you install that and its in sight now.

Last edited:

saltyreefguy

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
do i need to save any files from the current ip4 ios 4.2.8 jb. thanks.

is it best to just let it restore and upgrade ota thru itunes and then jailbreak...

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
do i need to save any files from the current ip4 ios 4.2.8 jb. thanks.

is it best to just let it restore and upgrade ota thru itunes and then jailbreak...

Do not update ota!!!!!
No no no!

If you must have ios6 then plug phone into iTunes and do a restore. You'll end up on 6.0.2 then you can tether jailbreak

You should IMHO just use redsnow to jump to 5.1.1 and get an untethered jailbreak

saltyreefguy

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
i was restoring thru itunes for 6.0.1 but it was taking too long, so stopped it..

I download ios 5.1.1 and 6.0.1( don't get me wrong i tried to download 6.0.1 several times just to get the phone jailbroken and going, especially the owner of the phone is my 15 year son) and after its extracted, the files are all seperated, did i not downloaded correctly, doesn't suppose to stay in one file within the ios folder? did forget to rename it?

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
i was restoring thru itunes for 6.0.1 but it was taking too long, so stopped it..

I download ios 5.1.1 and 6.0.1( don't get me wrong i tried to download 6.0.1 several times just to get the phone jailbroken and going, especially the owner of the phone is my 15 year son) and after its extracted, the files are all seperated, did i not downloaded correctly, doesn't suppose to stay in one file within the ios folder? did forget to rename it?

Are you saying when you are going into iTunes and hitting restore, it won't work. Because that is the most simplest way to restore.

Firstly you don't need to extract the firmware file? If it downloads with .zip on the end, you just need to change the file extension to .IPSW. That's if you are downloading it yourself.

But restore the phone through iTunes, as it's the easiest way and then you can jailbreak it tethered with Redsn0w. However you will need to download iOS 6.0 for your device from here: http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/Firmware

Then in redsn0w you need to point to IOS 6.0 firmware (this tricks it into thinking its IOS 6.0.1), by manually selecting an IPSW file. Then hit jailbreak, once finished. Manually select IPSW, point to IOS 6.0 firmware and then do a tethered boot.

Job done. But you can't get anywhere without restoring your phone to IOS 6.0.1 with iTunes which is the easiest part. If it is taking to long, just keep waiting.

Good luck.

saltyreefguy

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
alright.. its finally done, updated and jailbroken. I just wanted to say thank you everyone for your valuable input advice,
without it, i'd be still be pulling my hair out. thanks.

anthony

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner