How do you back up custom iBooks?

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone else have iBooks that they have converted and imported themselves? If so, how do you back them up along with all the highlights and notes? How have you set up your iCloud settings for iBooks?

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone else have iBooks that they have converted and imported themselves? If so, how do you back them up along with all the highlights and notes? How have you set up your iCloud settings for iBooks?

Have you tried just importing it as a PDF.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
so whats the situation now, the book is on your idevice, but there is no cloud synchronization if you make changes on the idevice?

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes. It seems that iBooks doesn't upload custom content to iCloud like iTunes Match does.

Once I tried to use AppBackup to manually back up iBooks and then restore the device. Once restored I used AppBackup again to put the books back ? that's before I've ever opened iBooks after the restore. After AppBackup did its job I launched iBooks. Everything seemed perfect for a second until cloud sync kicked in and removed all the custom content (books, notes, highlights and all).

So I guess if I want to use iBooks I would have to completely turn of sync and do things just on one device, manually.
That was the reason I created the thread ? to see what setups people have come up with that work.

Last edited:

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
i used to do ibooks alot, i practically read the entire eragon series on my ipod... but ive gotten a kindle since then and dont use ibooks any more at all... sorry i couldnt be more of a help...
you have the latest ibooks installed? and theres no error like there was before with the jailbreak, and needing a work around? and its only the one book? maybe you need to use calibre to save it...
sometimes there are tiny tiny little things that make it not an official "ebok?" so that would casue issues.

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate you trying to help.

I've been using Calibre to convert PDFs, web pages and text files to ePub for the longest time. That's what I import to iBooks. I'm using the preset for iPad so things are generally quite readable. As to my iBooks version - I haven't gone to the newest one (version 3 I believe).

A clarification: it's not just one ebook that disappeared. It's all ePub files I've imported.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
i remember when i was trying to import my stuff to my kindle fire, even though i converted them, i had to go go the advanced settings tab and tick off a box for ...
like preferences, then output settings then (for my kindle now) i had to select mobi, then make sure that the personal document tag was ebok...
im not sure if there are any other options for an epub other than default....
but it might be something like that... also are you on calibre .9.9?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro