iP4 Jailbroken vs iP5... anyone go this route? Happy? Regret it?

talkin73

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I have an iP4 on 5.1.1 with several great JB apps that I love... CallBar, SBSettings, MyWi, Iconoclasm, LockInfo, and a few more. I just got my hands on a colleagues iP5 on VZW in the DC area. I liked the speed of the device and the data quite a bit. Screen size and thinner device seemed nice in the hands. I like the options with JB but don't use that many of them most of the time. So, I'm on the fence. Wondering if others made a similar transition and your impressions since the switch?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I made that exact jump, and for the most part have been okay with it--and I used a LOT of jb apps. The only things I miss regularly are Lockinfo (for dealing with notifications without having to go into apps or unlock my phone) and, most of all, BiteSMS--not being able to start a text without unlocking my phone is a pain.

The rest has been worth the trade off, and I'd do it again. iOS 6 has some nice features, too, like Do Not Disturb and being able to reply to phone calls with automated SMS instead of picking up the call (so you can shoot off a "I'll call back in a bit" message if you're busy, for instance).

And bear in mind, if you get a 5 you can still keep your 4, and switch back if you feel like you miss it too much.

talkin73

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Thx for feedback. Can you tether with VZW? I saw some big hubbub about this but uncertain of current status. I'm grandfathered with unlimited data but think I would have to lose this to tether without an extra charge?

anygivensunday

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Thx for feedback. Can you tether with VZW? I saw some big hubbub about this but uncertain of current status. I'm grandfathered with unlimited data but think I would have to lose this to tether without an extra charge?

Based on what they told me before I have up unlimited. You're correct if you don't want extra charge have to give up unlimited

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
The big nasty v will give you the Vance to switch to shared data, where tethering is free or you can switch to a gb plan 2, 5 or 10 gb and then pay 10 extra a month for tethering...
If you buy an iPhone 5 outright, you keep unlimited data and if they ever jb it then you can get a tethering app from cydia and bang LTE SPEED TETHERING!
My wife has the 5 now and it's awfully nice, but I'm waiting till the 5 gets a jb before I Dump my 4.

And I'm definitely paying full
Price for it!! They will seriously pry unlimited data from
My cold dead data using hands

talkin73

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Massie, I'm assuming you have looked around for something like BiteSMS to start a text from outside the app... and nothing? This would be a huge loss for me as well. Very annoying to lose this feature and is one reason I've continued to hold out.

I made that exact jump, and for the most part have been okay with it--and I used a LOT of jb apps. The only things I miss regularly are Lockinfo (for dealing with notifications without having to go into apps or unlock my phone) and, most of all, BiteSMS--not being able to start a text without unlocking my phone is a pain.

The rest has been worth the trade off, and I'd do it again. iOS 6 has some nice features, too, like Do Not Disturb and being able to reply to phone calls with automated SMS instead of picking up the call (so you can shoot off a "I'll call back in a bit" message if you're busy, for instance).

And bear in mind, if you get a 5 you can still keep your 4, and switch back if you feel like you miss it too much.

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I am pretty much in massie's boat though my bug perk is finally getting reception in my house, but I eagerly wait the jb. I had to update my iPad because of an issue, so then I updated my 4s and got gifted with a 5 so not much of a choice. Still, no regrets. I can use my phone stock, I just choose not to.

iPhone 5 ✲ iPad 3 WiFi ✲ Macbook Pro running Lion 10.8.2 ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!

jmendel33

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I jumped from a jailbroken 4 to a 5 i do miss certain tweaks, like NC settings, BITEsms, and the customization tweaks, and i really wish i could get my hands on the new auxo tweak but when they jailbreak the 5 on ios 6 it will be worth it with the better processor and bigger screen and such

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
got my wife a ip5 for an xmas gift, and i kinda like it, but since i discovered the icontrolpad and the emulation, i will not even think of an iphone 5 until it is jailbroken!!!
seriously crazy in love with my phone again. as is zelda, who ive rescued from gannon just yesterday. and as soon as i defeat gannon, im gonna go do some time travel with chrono!!!
waiting around doesnt seem like waiting around anymore!!!!

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Massie, I'm assuming you have looked around for something like BiteSMS to start a text from outside the app... and nothing? This would be a huge loss for me as well. Very annoying to lose this feature and is one reason I've continued to hold out.

It's not a question of finding an app, it's an issue of needing a jailbreak. Without that Apple doesn't allow the feature; with it Bite will be working.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice