Kindle fire

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
WHAT??!??? This is an apple forum why are you talking about a kindle here... Anyways,
Amazon pushes firmware updates to the kindles and the users cannot prevent this (rooted or not) unless they never connect to a wifi...

What's to stop apple from implementing this and effectively killing jailbreaks forever on newer iDevices?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Nothing, but why would they? It's not like they're hurting for sales or have piss poor customer service. Furthermore, they don't have what I consider frequent updates so "on the surface", it doesn't make sense for them to institute an automatic update mechanism, in "my" opinion.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
They could do that but then where would they get all "there" ideas for future iOS versions

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

ght

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Corporate IT departments would riot. No one expects a Kindle to be used in a corporate IT environment.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
but the kindle fire firmware updates never actually break anything (except root access), so corporate america, many of which have special profiles already loaded, might never miss a beat.
i do like the point of the innovation ideas
and amazon also isnt exactly hurting for money either, the updates arent a source of revenue, and the customer service is right up there with apple....

i am happy that apple doesnt do this, and i hope they never do. i actually think that its NOT OK what amazon does. it is not thier device they have no right to put something on my device, without my explicit consent... that being said, they do, nobody has raised much of a stink, and i just dont know why apple doesnt.
they clearly have the capability

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure "IF" they ever did do this, someone would find a way to create a tweak to disable it. But it would suck BIG TIME if Apple did this.

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
From a simplicity standpoint it makes perfect sense for the software to automatically update itself. I see one huge potential problem:

On the iPhone, iOS can't willy-nilly decide to reboot itself so the update would be applied. What if you're expecting an important phone call? It will be lawsuit hell for Apple in that scenario. That said, the Kindle Fire doesn't have telephony, so it's not a deal breaker. (Out of curiosity: does the Fire require a reboot when self-updating?)
Building that point: Apple wouldn't break consistency by having automatic updates on iPad/iPod and not on iPhone.

Food for thought: Now in stark contrast to what I've just said: Apple DOES do automatic updates on iOS devices already! Apple TV anyone?

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I've never actually seen my kindle fire in an update state, I just know that the android platform is pretty well explored and the fire has been rooted to the core and the automatic updates still happen!!!
People have tried to block it but have been unsuccessful...
This if from 6.1 and 6.2 to 6.3, i still have root access so I'm assuming that it hasn't had an upgrade lately. I also called amazon after both updates and told them to stop doing it!!!
The last time I called the customer service guy assured me that it wouldn't happen again...
Who knows, I just hope that apple never adopts this policy!!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner