3GS 6.0.1 jailbroken + Cydia + Ultrasnow/Fixer = Still "No Service"

Mordor2112

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I got this iPhone 3GS (built week 41 2009) that was supposed to be "unlocked". It came with iOS 4.1 and as soon as it got upgraded by iTunes to 6.0.1/BB 6.15 it went into that "No Service", "Searching" thing. Now all SimCards are invisible to it!

I tried downgrading the BB but I get the ERRNO=7 during the DFU boot. I tried downgrading iOS to 5x but I get the same ERRNO=7 in DFU Mode (then it freezes up). All with Redsn0w 15b2 and 15b3.

I went for the tethered jailbreak solution for 6.0.1 and managed to install Cydia, Ultrasn0w and even that Ultrasn0w fixer, but all to no avail....still "No Service".

I spent so many hours trying to fix this that I think at some moment I might have said to Redsn0w that my bootroom was the new one, but it seems it was the old one (according to Redsn0w)....don't know if that screwed anything.

Now the situation is this: - 3GS is stuck in 6.0.1/BB 6.15.00 and works fine except for the SimCard that is never recognized; - I can't restore the phone 'cos iTunes gives me the "unknown error 21"; - Cydia says there are no "blobs" for me (I'm too late or something) and all I got with TinyUmbrella were 2 SHSH (4.1 and 6.0.1) that I saved on my HD.

Can I go back to 4.1 ? What to do??

Please help!

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
It most like was unlocked but as soon as updated it broke the unlock. Easiest thing to do it purchase a permanent unlock online for less than $10 and u don have to worry about an update breaking ur unlock.

Mordor2112

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I thought about it and asked some of these sites (beijing something) about it. They answered that I should first downgrade the BB for it wouldn't work under 6.15.00.
But this is the point, I can't do it, all I get is a ERRNO=7 on DFU.... what am I doing wrong???

Another thing, they always ask which carrier it's locked to. That I don't know, it was sold to me as "carrier free"...

Last edited:

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Did you install the fixer before or after you install ultrasn0w itself? Back on iOS 5 you had to install the fixer before ultrasn0w.

So in case you did it the logical way, remove ultrasn0w and the fixer from the phone, and then install the fixer first and then ultrasn0w.

Good luck.

Mordor2112

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Hey iDonev.... yep, I did install the fixer AFTER ultrasn0w.... I'll try deleting both (thru Cydia "modify" option, right?) and install them in the opposite order.

Just one thing, is this 6.0.1 jailbreak tethered or untethered ? I'm getting mixed info from different sites. Some say it's tethered but others say it's untethered for 3GS....

I'm confused about the need to boot it everytime thru Redsn0w...

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The JB is untethered only for old bootrom 3GS. If you're not sure, boot from redsn0w.
And yes, remove the fixer and ultrasn0w from Cydia like you described.

Mordor2112

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Well, no luck... did it with normal boot and did it with Redsnow DFU boot (when it loads with the pineapple logo) . In the end it goes back to "Searching..." and "No...service".

I wonder if I can put it in DFU and force iTunes to recover 4.1....can I do it? Does it matter I have BB 6.15 installed now?

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
If you would have followed my instructions your phone would have been unlocked by now, without all the headaches. Unlock Fusion is cheap & quick

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Well, no luck... did it with normal boot and did it with Redsnow DFU boot (when it loads with the pineapple logo) . In the end it goes back to "Searching..." and "No...service".

I wonder if I can put it in DFU and force iTunes to recover 4.1....can I do it? Does it matter I have BB 6.15 installed now?

It has BB 6.15 because that is the iPad baseband. Just for the future normally you can't downgrade a baseband. Try these

iClarified - iPhone - How to Downgrade Your iPhone 3GS, 3G Baseband for Unlock (Windows)

iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS Using RedSn0w (Windows) [6.0]

iClarified - iPhone - How to Unlock the iPhone 4, 3GS, 3G Using UltraSn0w

Mordor2112

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately I don't know which network that iphone is originally from. I got it on ebay as a new unlocked phone. The ad said "Carrier: Unlocked"... I'm trying to get the ebay seller to give me that info, but still no answer.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately I don't know which network that iphone is originally from. I got it on ebay as a new unlocked phone. The ad said "Carrier: Unlocked"... I'm trying to get the ebay seller to give me that info, but still no answer.

Search the serial number on sites it should tell you what carrier it is locked too ..

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site

Where do u live? If its here in the states, it can only be locked to AT&T.

Mordor2112

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
ALRIGHT!!!! IT WORKED!!!

First I did the reinstalling of Ultrasn0w Fixer before reinstalling Ultrasnow. That didn't change anything 'cos I was still using BB 6.15.00.
Looking at the iClarified link about downgrading I remember I had tried it earlier but I got that "Exploit failed" message from Redsnow. The point is: I assumed it was an error with the ipsw I had chosen (iPhone2,1_6.0_10A403_Restore), and not with the bootrom exploit itself - so I gave it up and went trying other things. Bad move, it led me further away from the solution.
Thanks to your input I decided to try again, and surprise, Exploit failed again!! But this time I tried for a second time and it worked! Baseband flashed back to 5.13.04 and that was it. Now 3GS is working great with untethered 6.0.1 JB.

You guys rule. Thanks!

ali kaled

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
hey use redsn0w 15b2 or 3 dosnt matter. selct ios 6.0 and go to jb then down grade from ipad baseband. once you done then do ur restore it will work.

Max77Out

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
ALRIGHT!!!! IT WORKED!!!

First I did the reinstalling of Ultrasn0w Fixer before reinstalling Ultrasnow. That didn't change anything...

Hey there,

Would you mind posting the exact steps you took to resolve this?
I have been dealing with precisely the same issue for over two weeks now. I've also spent countless hours going through every YouTube tutorial I could find, and perusing forums all over the net. Yours is the first success story I read on a 2009 3GS running 6.01.

Coincidentally, I have exactly the same year phone as yours, 09, week 30.
I also already flashed to a lower BB from 6.15.00. I did several complete re-installs and (tethered) reboots, all to no avail.

So if you could include your sequence of steps, it would be crucial!

Thanks,
Max

Last edited:

wuhihi

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey there,

Would you mind posting the exact steps you took to resolve this?
I have been dealing with precisely the same issue for over two weeks now. I've also spent countless hours going through every YouTube tutorial I could find, and perusing forums all over the net. Yours is the first success story I read on a 2009 3GS running 6.01.

Coincidentally, I have exactly the same year phone as yours, 09, week 30.
I also already flashed to a lower BB from 6.15.00. I did several complete re-installs and (tethered) reboots, all to no avail.

So if you could include your sequence of steps, it would be crucial!

Thanks,
Max

Friend of mine who owned a 3GS have the exact same problem after he upgraded the phone to iOS 6.0.1 / BB 6.15. We spend a couple of days reading and end up finally fixing the phone and this is what we have done.

- Get redsn0w 0.9.14b2
- Get iOS 6.0 (yes 6.0, not 6.0.1)
- Read the tutorial posted by Ipheuria (big thanks!)

1. JB your phone with redsnow by using the 6.0 ipsw and make sure you selected the downgrade baseband option.
2. Install ultrasnow fixer then ultrasnow (make sure is fixer > ultrasnow, do it the other way round won't work).

Job done :D

Scott Barnett

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
My phones been saying no service for about 4 months now and I need help. Could you post very specific directions as to what you did to fix it or email the instructions to barnets1@hotmail.com. I don't understand many of the terms used in this post so keep it simple plz.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR