Need help jailbreaking iPhone 4

tbotello

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I purchased an iPhone 4 from a friend with the intention of using it with Straight Talk and it needs to be restored first before I proceed to jailbreak it. However, it's asking to upgrade to IOS 6 and I'm fairly certain that I shouldn't go to 6 and should be on 5.1.1, correct? I've been reading various sources and am very confused as to where I need to start. I've read about SHSH "blobs" and how I need to save the blob I want to downgrade to, but I have no idea how to do that, since I can't "see" my iPhone yet. If there's a link I haven't seen yet that's very descriptive, I'd appreciate the help. I'm kind of the guinea pig on this first attempt as my wife is in the same boat and I'll be doing the same thing to her newly purchased iPhone 4. A huge thanks in advance.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
If all u need to do is have it unlocked then just purchase a permanent unlock online and ur done. It's too late to save ur shsh blobs as Apple is no longer signing 5.1.1.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
It's not on 6 yet, but I have to do a restore. Do I have any options?

Is it jailbroke ? If so check the top in Cydia if it say 5.1.1 then it has them
If it does then you can get them and stitch your own ipsw and do a shift restore having tiny umbrella as your server
And then re jailbreak or what not

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure straight talk used att towers and I have heard you don't even need a unlock or jailbreak just pop it in

But the best route would be buy the factory unlock from unlock fusion it's like under 10 bucks the u can be on 6.01 and be unlocked and not have to worry about all this

tbotello

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
It's not jailbroken, yet, and Straight Talk does use ATT towers. I've been going off of Straight Talk's Wiki page for getting iPhones to work with them.
http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.php/Straight_Talk_iPhone
They state the 'easiest' method is after jailbreaking and I'd prefer to go that route for it being easier and to take advantage of Cydia and the apps there. So, I can't even get into the phone until I restore, as far as I know. That's why I'm seeking help from you and others. Thanks.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
If you can't get into the phone then your only option is to factory unlock then restore to 6.0.1 and then use the phone as a phone and wait till a jb comes out

tbotello

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
So, there is no way into the phone? When I power the phone on, it tells me to connect to iTunes. Then, of course, iTunes tells me I need to reset/restore (by upgrading to IOS 6).

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone 4 has a tethered jailbreak. The best thing to do is buy the unlock, restore then you can run the tethered jailbreak and have your Cydia. Relying on a software unlock like ultrasnow is a bad idea because you can accidentally update something and use cell phone service. So buy the hardware unlock, restore to 6.0.1 and jail break. Best way to go.

iPhone 5 ✲ iPad 3 WiFi ✲ Macbook Pro running Lion 10.8.2 ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!

tbotello

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
If I were to go through with the iTunes suggested restore and install IOS 6, would all I need to do is download the IPSW as suggested here....
iClarified - iPhone - How to Downgrade Your iPhone 4 From iOS 6.x to iOS 5.x (Windows)

Or, is there there a file I need off the iPhone BEFORE I install IOS 6? From what I gathered from the link above, I just needed to download the IPSW file for my phone and run redsnow. Am I correct in this?

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
You don't need to downgrade to 5.1.1 to jailbreak. As laelipoo stated, iPhone 4 already has a tethered jailbreak. Just purchase ur unlock online and you're done as everyone has stated several times already.