Disable Mobile Substrate volume up feature

robbychen

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I have a Mobile Substrate related issue. After my iPad fall off from bed, I discovered that the volume keys stopped working. I didn't pay any attention since it was working fine at that time. Until I rebooted the device because Transmission stopped working, I installed Volume Keys Disable tweak in Cydia in order to get rid of display of volume icon. Unfortunately, I later discovered that Mobile Substrate has this volume up disabling feature and therefore the tweak doesn't work.

Is there any way to configure or edit the hex code for the particular file to enable the Mobile Substrate under the disable mode so that it can be enabled during the reboot when the volume up button is pressing down (or jammed)? I have 5.1.1.

Thanks.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I have a Mobile Substrate related issue. After my iPad fall off from bed, I discovered that the volume keys stopped working. I didn't pay any attention since it was working fine at that time. Until I rebooted the device because Transmission stopped working, I installed Volume Keys Disable tweak in Cydia in order to get rid of display of volume icon. Unfortunately, I later discovered that Mobile Substrate has this volume up disabling feature and therefore the tweak doesn't work.

Is there any way to configure or edit the hex code for the particular file to enable the Mobile Substrate under the disable mode so that it can be enabled during the reboot when the volume up button is pressing down (or jammed)? I have 5.1.1.

Thanks.

Post in jailbreak section to get more help.
[start false info]The volume key "safe mode" for Mobil substrate I believe it to hold both volume keys when booting device Nd device will boot into safe mode.[\end false info]
If you are booting the phone, and it doesn't boot into safe mode then you have nothing to worry about. However you should set up an activator "listener" so that you can put your phone into safe mode should the need arise.
The only thing that you don't have going for you is the initial "boot to safe" method, but that is really only useful if you install a tweak that puts you into a constant resorting state, which is extremely rare. Also if you have ssh installed you can ash into your Device an remove the offending tweak....
But to answer your question (or not technically) I don't know if you can modify the mobile substrate code! But even if you could it is not recommended at all!!! That is the entire safety net for your $500+ jailbroken toy!!

Last edited:

robbychen

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
3cit, thanks for the suggestion. I will set the alternate method to go to the safe mode in Activator, and post my question to the jailbreak section to get more help.

Thanks.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
To be honest I'm not entirely clear on what you're asking. Are you stuck in Safe Mode when rebooting right now and trying to get out of it, or do you need to come up with a way to enter Safe Mode? Or is it something else entirely?

(The default way, by the by, is to hold the volume Up key while booting.)

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I understand the situation clearly now.
You volume up key is in a constant stat of being pressed. So when you power up you aren't in safe mode, you just have mobile substrate disabled...
I couldn't find a way to get mobile substrate re enabled without restarting....
I'll do some research because I find this interesting!!!

What if you downgraded mobile substrate? To one that did not have this feature???

http://apt.saurik.com/cydia/debs/mobilesubstrate_0.9.3995_iphoneos-arm.deb

Last edited:

Julie Sepulchre

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi everybody, I have the exact same problem and could not find any solution. Due to this mobilesubstrate safe feature, the volume buttons disable tweak does not work anymore as soon as you restart the iPad...

Did someone find a solution to this? I spent many hours on the web, reading forums etc. and I am a bit desesperate to ever solve this problem.

Thank you all by advance for your help!

Edit, I forgot to mention that I already tried to downgrade mobilesubstrate, and the volume disable app could not work with this older version and automatically updated the mobilesubstrate stuff. Maybe there is more to investigate here, but being quite novice I have to admit I am now completely stuck...

Last edited:

robbychen

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
You need to set both "Mobile Substrate" and "Substrate Safe Mode" in Cydia to ignore the updates. To do this, go to the corresponding tweaks page in Cydia and tap "Change Package Settings". Turn the "Ignore Upgrades" on and Cydia will ignore the updates for this package from now on. However, based on my experience, you still need to replace the "Mobile Substrate" and "Substrate Safe Mode" to the old version every time iPad is rebooted. Otherwise, the tweaks would still be disabled.

The attached zip file contains the mobile substrate version which works for me so far. Note that you need to use iFile to install these files. Also, you need to install both packages (Mobile Substrate and Substrate Safe Mode). Otherwise, it won't work.

As I mentioned earlier, you need to reinstall/replace these packages every time you rebooted the device. After the replace, you need to respring the device in order to get it working. Make sure to respring the device instead of rebooting it. I recommend to use SBSettings to help you to respring the device.

Edit: By the way, for us iPad owners whose volume keys were stuck, you should enable the Assistive Touch under Settings -> Accessibility. By enabling this feature, there will always be a white circle on the screen. Tap it and under Device sub-menu, it will help you to execute the device functions without press any physical buttons on the device, including the volume up/down. Even better, if the volume icon is stuck on the screen because of the stuck volume keys, tap the volume up or volume down button will make the icon disappear.

Attachments

• Mobile Substrate.zip
    104.1 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:

Julie Sepulchre

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
You need to set both "Mobile Substrate" and "Substrate Safe Mode" in Cydia to ignore the updates. To do this, go to the corresponding tweaks page in Cydia and tap "Change Package Settings". Turn the "Ignore Upgrades" on and Cydia will ignore the updates for this package from now on. However, based on my experience, you still need to replace the "Mobile Substrate" and "Substrate Safe Mode" to the old version every time iPad is rebooted. Otherwise, the tweaks would still be disabled.

The attached zip file contains the mobile substrate version which works for me so far. Note that you need to use iFile to install these files. Also, you need to install both packages (Mobile Substrate and Substrate Safe Mode). Otherwise, it won't work.

As I mentioned earlier, you need to reinstall/replace these packages every time you rebooted the device. After the replace, you need to respring the device in order to get it working. Make sure to respring the device instead of rebooting it. I recommend to use SBSettings to help you to respring the device.

Edit: By the way, for us iPad owners whose volume keys were stuck, you should enable the Assistive Touch under Settings -> Accessibility. By enabling this feature, there will always be a white circle on the screen. Tap it and under Device sub-menu, it will help you to execute the device functions without press any physical buttons on the device, including the volume up/down. Even better, if the volume icon is stuck on the screen because of the stuck volume keys, tap the volume up or volume down button will make the icon disappear.
Thank you very much for your answer! That's very kind of you.

I actually find your "by the way" even a more convenient solution. I think I will discard the other possibility because I'm not confortable enough with playing with SBS etc. (moreover, I cannot install the mobilesubstrate stuff with iFile... I'm probably doing something wrong).

Anyway, I could fix the problem usine this accessibility option. Once again, thank you.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

I actually find your "by the way" even a more convenient solution. I think I will discard the other possibility because I'm not confortable enough with playing with SBS etc. (moreover, I cannot install the mobilesubstrate stuff with iFile... I'm probably doing something wrong).

Anyway, I could fix the problem usine this accessibility option. Once again, thank you.

what are you getting stuck at with the mobile substrate process?

IM unsure as to why mobile substrate would have to be reinstalled upon each boot of the device. it shouldnt be that way.

once you download that zip with both mobile substrate and mobile substrate safe mode (although im not sure why the safe mode download, i thought that crashing to safe mode was part of mobile substrate, not a different package, ANYWAYS) you will need to get it onto you ipad, via ifunbox, or ssh.
then you need to locate where you moved it on your device. then all you need to do is select the ".deb" package for mobile substrate in ifile, and it will give you an install option. youll see a bunch of words then a "process ended with result 0" and you will be good. then install the safemode the same way. then go to cydia and go to settings, packages, find both mobile substrate and mobilesubstratesafemode and in thier respective pages, select "change package settings" and hide updates

robbychen

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

You are welcome :)

robbychen

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
what are you getting stuck at with the mobile substrate process?

IM unsure as to why mobile substrate would have to be reinstalled upon each boot of the device. it shouldnt be that way.

once you download that zip with both mobile substrate and mobile substrate safe mode (although im not sure why the safe mode download, i thought that crashing to safe mode was part of mobile substrate, not a different package, ANYWAYS) you will need to get it onto you ipad, via ifunbox, or ssh.
then you need to locate where you moved it on your device. then all you need to do is select the ".deb" package for mobile substrate in ifile, and it will give you an install option. youll see a bunch of words then a "process ended with result 0" and you will be good. then install the safemode the same way. then go to cydia and go to settings, packages, find both mobile substrate and mobilesubstratesafemode and in thier respective pages, select "change package settings" and hide updates

Maybe I accidentally updated the mobile substrate after my first reinstallation of its old version. Since I didn't want to reinstall all the tweaks, I just replaced the latest version with the old one without removing and reinstalling process. Because of this, every time I rebooted the device or the battery runs out and rebooted during charging, it will restore to the latest version, thus all the tweaks will be disabled after the rebooting of the device. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Sounds Like you aren't on the right version.... Check cydia and see which version of substrate you have installed

XIPRELAY

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Due to the new passcode vulnerabilities found could someone look into posting a updated version of mobilesubstrate with the volumeup feature disabled for iOS6.x?
I found a way to bypass those vulnerabilities completely but with the volume up feature those that i found won't have any affect if the device does not stay in a jailbroken state.

The last thing i want to see people doing is start to use tweaks like the disableEmergency

See my comments below this techcrunch article for details.
http://fyre.it/mI8TLC.4

Thank you kind regards,
X

Last edited:

robbychen

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't know whether this is a feature for iOS 6 or my volume button is loosen up, but this is a trick I've found after the jailbreak of iOS 6.

The moment I restarted after jailbroke the device, I installed Mobile Substrate. All went well until I restarted the device after installed SBSettings. I tried to reinstall the Mobile Substrate with no hope of fixing the issue. However, I was surprised that the problem is solved by this simple reinstallation.

Please let me know if this trick helps. One thing to note is that I tried to pull the volume button out a little before the reinstall but with no difference from the physical point of view. Maybe I really pulled the button out a bit :confused:

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Robby, are you saying that you volume up button is no longer stuck? That's great news? does it work at all, or just not stuck in an "always being pushed state"

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Well that's probably "best case scenario" for a broken button glad to know the situation is "better"

Dalton642

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Thank you!

This is the exact same problem i was having. My volume UP button intermittently sticks and it was making mobile substrate load as disabled. I'll load the .zip file and get it fixed once i get back home to my desktop. Just wanted to say thanks for sharing the fix!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods