Skype on a Jailbroke iPad

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I have a jailbroken iPad2, and just discovered that Skype does not work on it. Skype "support" was completely less than helpful and was unable to tell me why they intentionally broke their software.

Are there any alternatives? I'm only using a few utilities that require jailbreaking, but two of them are just too damn useful to un-jailbreak just to get Skype working.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Are you sure it doesn't work? You will definitely get a warning about it not being supported on modified devices, but it used to be that it still worked even with that warning, you just couldn't get support. If you haven't tried to use it, do that.

If it doesn't work, look into xCon on Cydia, which helps get around jailbreak detection for a lot of apps.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure it doesn't work? You will definitely get a warning about it not being supported on modified devices, but it used to be that it still worked even with that warning, you just couldn't get support. If you haven't tried to use it, do that.
Yes, I'm sure. There was no video in either direction and I had no audio in, but my brother could hear me. I was testing while in the same room as him.

If it doesn't work, look into xCon on Cydia, which helps get around jailbreak detection for a lot of apps.
Thanks, I didn't know of that app, I was looking for Skype related apps. Just installed it, and did not get an error message when starting Skype this time. I'll have to set up a test again. :)

Joachim Simonsen

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I found out how to use Skype flawlessly on Jailbroken iDevices. Skype only crashes when you try to fill up credits. If you fill up credits on a device that's not modified like your desktop then Skype will work like normal on your Jailbroken device.