Factory Unlocked, Jailbroken IPhone 4s Not Recognized By Windows? Need to restore!

jfbeth

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
A few weeks ago, I jailbroke my factory unlocked iPhone 4s running 5.1.1. On Friday, my speaker completely stopped working. Today, I tried saving my videos to my PC (not even going through iTunes) and my PC won't even recognize my phone (doesnt see it...either dies iTunes, so I cant restore). I REALLY need to restore and get this to Apple before my warranty ends. (Although Im somewhat unclear on the restore proccess too) Can anyone help? I am still new to jailbreaking, so please be easy!

If it matters, I am using Straight Talk. THANKS!!

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
What about power? When you connect the phone to the computer does it start charging? If not you might have a hardware defect in the dock/cable/USB.

If possible try using another computer. If you don't have one handy and you're on Windows, go to Device Manager and Scan for Hardware Changes. (while plugged in)

Also try to power down the phone and connect it to the computer while holding down the home button. If the phone is recognized, I will go to Recovery Mode.

Also try to think what you did on your computer and phone right before the two stopped talking to each other and undo whatever you did.

I hope some of that helps...

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like the dock went out .. If it won't charge just wait until its dead and take it in they will replace it ... Or I would go to setting and erase all data I know if it is jb it will prob freeze and won't boot but even in that state apple will try to restore and when they can't they replace it

jfbeth

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks!
My phone DOES charge correctly, the speakers actually kind of work now (no clue why) but it is VERY staticy and extremely soft, even if I adjust the volume. I will have access to another computer tomorrow, so we will see what happens. My guess is somehow the speakers blew...not sure this is covered by the warranty.

I will update when I try the other computer tomorrow. If it does work, do I just erase everything and restore from this computer (I also use the computer to sync my iPad 2). I was told if I had Cydia installed and apps that hid other apps, then this could mess up my restore. Is this true? I need no evidence of jailbreaking! Thanks!

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks!
My phone DOES charge correctly, the speakers actually kind of work now (no clue why) but it is VERY staticy and extremely soft, even if I adjust the volume. I will have access to another computer tomorrow, so we will see what happens. My guess is somehow the speakers blew...not sure this is covered by the warranty.

I will update when I try the other computer tomorrow. If it does work, do I just erase everything and restore from this computer (I also use the computer to sync my iPad 2). I was told if I had Cydia installed and apps that hid other apps, then this could mess up my restore. Is this true? I need no evidence of jailbreaking! Thanks!

A restore you will be fine no trace

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Your phone got WET!
Got Kids or a dog???

Stick That thing in a bag Of rice For a week and pray!!!

jfbeth

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
My phone did not get wet...I am VERY protective with it...even to the point of getting an otterbox case, etc. I have it connected right now saving videos, etc. Just wish I could backup my text messages...

The speaker issue for the iPhone 4s is not new (just google it). I just needed a way to restore and get it to Apple.

I will update hopefully when the restore occurs and after i call Apple. debating if I should drive 90 minutes to the store tomorrow, or just mail it in. advice? Assuming I need to take the case off and remove the SIM. Just wish I knew for sure that I was getting NEW and not a factory refurb.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Like Peligro911 said, if u drive to the Apple store, you will know right there if its new or refurb. IMO, refurbs are usually better because they go thru more testing than a new device, so you rarely have as many issue like a new device. Good luck.

jfbeth

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone...I backed everything up that I need. I have a backup on my pc from before my jailbreak. My question is...if I go through the iTunes restore, should I treat it as a new device then restore from backup or can I just restore from backup? The genius bar is seriously freaking me out...yet, I need my contacts available. I have contacts syncing with iCloud, but not all are syncing right now.

Sorry, I got lost. There are so many articles about restoring...some say DFU mode and ISPWs...all I really want to do is get my phone clean, have my contacts available like it is now and would be cool to upgrade to iOS 6...but more concerned about getting everything clean, especially if I have to mail it in (possible because it's a 64gb factory unlocked...not sure if the store has it and they won't answer the phone...it's all automated).

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
No need to worry. Just hit the Restore button and update to iOS 6. This will wipe you phone 100% clean. (If you're really paranoid you could restore as new, fill it with stuff i.e. videos and restore as new again. This will overwrite all the jailbreak bits from the current setup. )

If I were you, I'd restore it as new and take/mail it in this state, but keep the pre-jailbreak backup safe. Once you get your phone back (or a replacement) hit restore and restore from said backup.
As I see it you will be applying an iOS 5 backup on an iOS 6 device, so be prepared for potential battery loss and/or instability - its a reality when restoring from a backup, especially an outdated (iOS-wise) one.

jfbeth

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
So...my iPhone is back to factory on iOS 6 running smoothly on StraightTalk (all functions are great). Still have speaker issues...so hoping to make it to Apple. Learned a LOT! I was able to get all of my apps back (even paid). Only major issue was my Pc and laptop both do not want to recognize my iPhone. I had to stop the mobile service and restart each time. Not sure why...

THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!!!

Yonis22

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Ok guys i had the same problem i have IOS 6.01 and i jaibroke my iPhone and my laptop did not detect the phone after that so i had Sb-settings installed and what i did was i went to sb settings i clicked on power and i click reboot and after my phone rebooted it was detected by my laptop i did not lose any information or the jailbreak
:p;):D