Unlocked iPhone and Apple Store Swap

acwyau

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I bought a third-party unlock for my iPhone 5 and expect to be unlocked in the next day or so (Rogers phones seem to take a little longer than others). Now if I have an issue with my phone in say a couple months and need to go the Apple Store, will they replace my phone with an unlocked one? Or will they give me a Rogers locked replacement? I'm hoping that the replacement would be based on the fact that the IMEI of the original phone is on the whitelist, and the replacement would be unlocked as well, but I'm hoping somebody has experience with this.

ettobi

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Yep. Just make sure you tell them it is an unlocked iPhone.
They will check and if it is unlocked, they will replace with an unlocked one.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Yep. Just make sure you tell them it is an unlocked iPhone.
They will check and if it is unlocked, they will replace with an unlocked one.

Are you sure? I believe this is the case when you buy the factory unlocked iphone from apple, but he got the unlocked somewhere else, not sure if apple will honor that and replace it with the same.

ettobi

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Well,

what is the difference between a third party unlock, a factory unlock and the unlock done by AT&T?
To me it is the same thing since when I restore using itunes (which, as you know, always checkes with Apple) my iphone gets unlocked.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Well,

what is the difference between a third party unlock, a factory unlock and the unlock done by AT&T?
To me it is the same thing since when I restore using itunes (which, as you know, always checkes with Apple) my iphone gets unlocked.

I know but if I go right now to replace my at&t iphone 5 I'd Apple will replace it with a locked model since I signed a contract with at&t ( eventhough I unlocked it somewhere else.
I might be wrong though and it would be cool if that's the case..

acwyau

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I would think that to the store, how it go unlocked wouldn't matter. They would only look up the IMEI to see if it was on the whitelist. I'm hoping that I won't have to find out, but I do have that annoying rattle from the camera area....

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner