iTunes sync with a jailbroken device

fterh

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
If I am running a jailbroken iOS 5.1.1 and I sync with iTunes, I know jailbroken apps are NOT synced, but what about settings and configuration files of Cydia apps?

I'm only asking because I want to start my iPhone 5 clean (that means I don't want to restore from a backup which potentially carries with it jailbreak data), but I want my messages (text and WhatsApp) transferred. My messages mean a lot to me!

Any ideas?

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Back up ur message using iCloud and the restore them from there instead of a previous back up. No jb data to worry about

Reactions: fterh

fterh

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Back up ur message using iCloud and the restore them from there instead of a previous back up. No jb data to worry about
So it's not a regular backup (like syncing with iTunes), but a specific messages-only backup?

So does this mean that iCloud backup will NOT include any jailbreak data, while iTunes sync backup will transfer some jailbreak data over?

Last edited:

fterh

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
It's not just messages. Here is a list of what iCloud saves:

iCloud: Backup and restore overview
Thanks, I think this is what I'm looking for. If it works (from what I read), my messages (in addition to other standard non-optional stuff like device settings, home screen and app organization, etc.) will get backed up, and I can opt to backup my WhatsApp app data as well.

I'll then set up my iPhone 5 as a new phone and then restore from this iCloud backup to import my messages (regular and WhatsApp) as well as settings and stuff. :)

Thanks given! To both posts! :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73