What's a "blob"?

Blackfeet

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
As I have not yet crossed paths with this term, would somebody enlighten me as it refers to the process of downgrading an iOS? Please?

I am considering the jump from a jailbroken 5.1.1 to the just released 6.0. DoNotDisturb and the new maps with turn-byturn are the primary attractions. I would be losing, primarily, LockInfo and BiteSMS, which are pretty big losses. I am will to risk a few days of 6.0 to see if it is worth it, but want the option to downgrade and rejailbreak my device if needed. Looking at some of the posts about downgrading, the term backing up your blobs keeps popping up, but nowhere can I find what a blob is.

Thanks in advance, and be gentle please. :eek:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'll leave it to the JB community to fill in the fine details...

Basically it's the digital signature that Apple issues to authenticate an iOS installation. Apple has to authenticate each installation for security reasons... and when they release a new iOS version, they typically stop "signing" or issuing the digital authentication for previous versions within a few days. It keeps people from going back to older versions of iOS.

Reactions: Blackfeet

Blackfeet

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
OK - that makes sense, in an Apple sort-of-way. How does one back this up? A special app or perhaps a setting (that I have not discovered) in iTunes?

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
OK - that makes sense, in an Apple sort-of-way. How does one back this up? A special app or perhaps a setting (that I have not discovered) in iTunes?

It's not ANYTHING you'll find in iTunes. There is a program called tiny umbrella that u can use to back up ur shsh blobs. I think it's too late tho as Apple may not be signing 5.1.1 anymore with iOS 6 out. So if u upgrade you'll be stuck.

Reactions: Blackfeet

Blackfeet

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
OK - thanks for the info.

I just got a look at the iOS6 DoNotDisturb feature on a friends 4s after he did the upgrade. No thanks. Evidently it allows phone calls only through, no SMS. That is a deal killer for me. I have a 17 and 19 year old that I am pretty sure have forgotten how to make a phone call, but can type with their thumbs faster than I can think!

kgvickers

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Shouldn't the OP be able to get the blobs from Cydia (assuming, of course, that Cydia got them when the phone was originally jailbroken)?

Thanks,

Keith

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Shouldn't the OP be able to get the blobs from Cydia (assuming, of course, that Cydia got them when the phone was originally jailbroken)?

Thanks,

Keith

Yes, if the device the jailbroken running the firmware he requires, you can use Tiny Umbrella or Redsn0w.

Sent from my jailbroken iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
As I have not yet crossed paths with this term, would somebody enlighten me as it refers to the process of downgrading an iOS? Please?

I am considering the jump from a jailbroken 5.1.1 to the just released 6.0. DoNotDisturb and the new maps with turn-byturn are the primary attractions. I would be losing, primarily, LockInfo and BiteSMS, which are pretty big losses. I am will to risk a few days of 6.0 to see if it is worth it, but want the option to downgrade and rejailbreak my device if needed. Looking at some of the posts about downgrading, the term backing up your blobs keeps popping up, but nowhere can I find what a blob is.

Thanks in advance, and be gentle please. :eek:

You need to use Redsn0w to fetch the shsh blob file on the device and then save it. Then if you want to downgrade from IOS 6. You stitch your shsh blob file to a downloaded custom firmware and then restore in iTunes by pointing to the stitched custom ipsw file that you just created by holding down shift and clicking restore. If you have an A5 device then you CAN'T currently downgrade. The dev team are working on it. A5's can only restore to the same firmware. So if you are on 5.1.1 and you have your blob, you can restore to 5.1.1. But once you have stepped to IOS 6, you can't downgrade even if you have you blob file. A4 devices can downgrade as long as you have the blob.

If you need anymore help or guidance with this, then shout back here. Myself and a few other members have completed this process many times.

Sent from my jailbroken iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Blackfeet

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks all for the info. I have personally decided that the upgrade is not worth the cost of whatI will lose from my jailbreak. And, in reference to 1982ollie's post, since I have a 4S with an A5 processor, I guess this it is a moot topic to begin with.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods