I know that I will lose jailbreak if I upgrade to iOS 6 on my iPhone 4S running 5.1.1.

That being said, what is the recommended procedure for taking the iOS update? Do I just accept an OTA update or is it best to update via iTunes by doing full backup, Restore, then restore data from iTunes backup?

Are there any issues with restoring 5.1.1 data from my current jailbreak state?
    09-18-2012 08:50 PM
    Just update thru iTunes. Easiest way to go. Restoring data from a jailbreak back up can have some bugs in it. Always best to start fresh and clean to avoid any issues.
    09-18-2012 09:10 PM
    personally, i would restore plugged into iTunes and then Restore as New when given the option (No Backup)

there are several things you can bring over from a jailbroken backup. plus peace of mind can go a long way
    09-18-2012 09:12 PM
    Personally, I'm going to do an iCloud restore to my iPhone 5. I doubt the "riff raff" from the jailbreak would ever see the light of day on an Apple server.
    09-18-2012 09:14 PM
    If I restore as new. Won't I lose all apps, settings, photos, etc?
    09-18-2012 09:25 PM
    Personally, I'm going to do an iCloud restore to my iPhone 5. I doubt the "riff raff" from the jailbreak would ever see the light of day on an Apple server.
    actually i've had JB info carry over from an iCloud backup
    09-18-2012 09:40 PM
    actually i've had JB info carry over from an iCloud backup
    For real? The only logical thing that would carry over (iTunes or iCloud) would possibly be the settings for any jailbreak application.. but not necessarily any modified system/OS files.

They have a pretty detailed list here of exactly what is saved..
    iTunes: About iOS backups
    09-18-2012 10:30 PM
    For real? The only logical thing that would carry over (iTunes or iCloud) would possibly be the settings for any jailbreak application.. but not necessarily any modified system/OS files
    yep, you are correct!
    09-18-2012 10:37 PM
    All that being said, thank you all for the responses.

I have manually uninstalled all the tweaks I had previously downloaded. I think I will just Restore from a backup as I really don't want to start from scratch setting up as new.
    09-18-2012 10:42 PM
    yep, you are correct!
    Ha, yay! I've never had an issue restoring a backup that had a jailbreak applied. For good measure, I always do a "Reset All Settings" twice before doing a backup, then again after doing a restore.
    09-18-2012 10:49 PM
    If I restore as new. Won't I lose all apps, settings, photos, etc?
    Nah, I mean you should have all of your apps in your iTunes library.. and just to be safe, I would save all of your photos to your computer. The only thing I don't like about doing a Restore as New is losing all of my texts. I have some pretty epic texts and pictures..

I think I figured out a way to just backup my texts to iCloud.. nothing else. If that works, that's the route I'm going.
    09-18-2012 10:53 PM
    For real? The only logical thing that would carry over (iTunes or iCloud) would possibly be the settings for any jailbreak application.. but not necessarily any modified system/OS files.
    I had a jailbreak tweak that went bad on my iPhone 4 last year, it changed my ringer switch to rotation lock like the iPad, it was supposed to be reversible in settings but it wasn't, so I removed it, and still could not use the ringer switch, so I bought a 4S, restored from backup and guess what? My 4S had the same problem, even though it had never been jailbroken! But restoring the 4 to factory did fix that phone.

Hopefully it won't carry over to the iPhone 5, but if it does I'll restore and install all my apps and settings from scratch.
    09-19-2012 01:56 AM
    Working out these issues is why I'm in the process of unjailbreaking my 4S right now and updating to iOS 6. I have my iPhone 5 coming on Friday, and since I'll be restoring that from my 4S backup, I want to have it restore from a non-JB backup, so my JB will be gone very soon. A little sad, but I'll live.
    09-19-2012 02:43 PM
    I have a iPad 2 running on 5.0.1 and would like to update to iOS 6, but I have a few problems.

My computer crashed about a month ago, so I have no way of accessing iTunes on my computer. I'd like to be able to update OTA, but I hear that you can't if you're jailbroken. Without using a computer to restore my iPad, is there a way to unjailbreak and then update to iOS 6?

I don't care about a backup, because all my apps are on the cloud. With that said, any advice would be great! Thanks!
    09-19-2012 06:08 PM
    I have a iPad 2 running on 5.0.1 and would like to update to iOS 6, but I have a few problems.

My computer crashed about a month ago, so I have no way of accessing iTunes on my computer. I'd like to be able to update OTA, but I hear that you can't if you're jailbroken. Without using a computer to restore my iPad, is there a way to unjailbreak and then update to iOS 6?

I don't care about a backup, because all my apps are on the cloud. With that said, any advice would be great! Thanks!
    Yikes. I think you're SOL, bud. My only thought (and because I could totally get away with this at work) would be to put the 6.0 ipsw on a flash drive, install iTunes on your computer at work, and smuggle it in. Other than that, there's no way to do a fresh OTA restore w/ a jailbreak.
    Hallofrumors likes this.
    09-19-2012 06:18 PM
    Working out these issues is why I'm in the process of unjailbreaking my 4S right now and updating to iOS 6. I have my iPhone 5 coming on Friday, and since I'll be restoring that from my 4S backup, I want to have it restore from a non-JB backup, so my JB will be gone very soon. A little sad, but I'll live.
    Ditto. Sad, but I'll live. That's my project tonight too..
    09-19-2012 06:20 PM

Any reason you can't use Erase All Content and Settings?
    09-19-2012 06:46 PM
    Will it cause any issues if I do?
    09-19-2012 06:59 PM
    Yeah, it won't work if you have a jailbreak applied. It'll brick your phone.. and won't boot until you restore it in iTunes.
    09-19-2012 07:15 PM
    That answers that question. Is there somewhere I can read more about it? Seems like an important thing to know about.
    09-19-2012 07:41 PM
    That answers that question. Is there somewhere I can read more about it? Seems like an important thing to know about.
    jailbreakqa.com is a good place to start - found this doing a quick Google search.

reset all settings problem - JailbreakQA

Basically, if you do a Erase All Content and Settings you're essentially resetting your phone to a factory condition. Once you do that, the phone will get stuck in a infinite reboot cycle because the iOS file system is re-arranged when a jailbreak is applied. The phone can't find files where they should be and then can't boot.
    johndhynes and Hallofrumors like this.
    09-19-2012 07:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD