Benefits of Jailbreaking an Apple TV set??

soleobjective

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm considering getting Apple TV and I want to jailbreak it. Can anyone explain the benefits of doing this? Pros/Cons? Thanks for helping me out!!! :D

Wallace

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
Just so you know. There is no current jailbreak for the Apple TV3. If you want to JB, get an Apple TV2.

To be honest, I have both. I had jailbroken ATV2, but it was very flaky and would lock-up and require a power reset. I realsed that the JB was not for me.

My ATV3 on the other hand is superb. It's obviously vanilla, but as most Apple products it just works and works well.

The extra functionality of the JB ATV2 didn't do it for me. Could never get used to XMBC, Plex etc

I appreciate that other peoples views will be different. But It wasn't for me.

Now as Jailbroken iPhone 4S.... that's something completely different.....

Don't let my experience put you off. Even if you do jailbreak your ATV2, you can easily go back to vanilla.

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
I use my Apple TV several times a week, but almost never using the stock apps. I've jailbroken it and I use XBMC to watch all of my TV shows that download automatically to my NAS. Granted, I've put a lot of work into my whole setup, but it makes a great, nice looking, and small box to play all of my media.

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm considering getting Apple TV and I want to jailbreak it. Can anyone explain the benefits of doing this? Pros/Cons? Thanks for helping me out!!! :D

Buddy,

Jailbreak for an Apple TV is a 100 percent must! Installing XBMC gives you everything :eek:! Google XBMC plugins and check it out.

Secondly, you CAN'T jailbreak a 3rd generation ATV 3, you can only jailbreak a 1 or 2. Therefore supply and demand and all that. Apple TV 1 & 2's are going for over ?100 more than a 3 on ebay, even the second hand models. :mad:

Also it is very hard to find a ATV 1 or 2 without it already being jailbroken because they are so salable at the moment. :rolleyes:

I've just looked into all of this myself and I have installed the same software (XBMC) on my jailbroken iPad 3, then I mirror it to an ATV 3 for now. As soon as there is a jailbreak for the ATV 3, I will go down that route.

Either way its the same and amazing! :D:D:D

If you need any help, give me a shout and I can point you where to look. :cool:

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I use my Apple TV several times a week, but almost never using the stock apps. I've jailbroken it and I use XBMC to watch all of my TV shows that download automatically to my NAS. Granted, I've put a lot of work into my whole setup, but it makes a great, nice looking, and small box to play all of my media.

When you say you download them to NAS. What do you mean by that?

I can't work out how to download. I'm running XBMC on my iPad 3 thought.

Thanks