When IOS 6 drops

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone,

If you are jailbroken, are you going to update to IOS 6 straight away or wait till there is a sensible jailbreak utility?

I've seen on the web that the jailbreak community have there foot through the door with IOS 6 already using the beta versions - Does this mean that we should see a jailbreak pretty quick after release?

Any ideas?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
more than likely there will be a tethered option and then "the wait" for the untethered. which the way things have been going lately i'd say maybe around xmas :D

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I'll tell you right now, I'm NOT UPDATING To ios6!!!
I only have an iphone4, I don't know what ios6 is gonna give me that I don't already have, and I like where my phone is at!

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
You can bet that any of the exploits that are being used on the betas will be patched when iOS6 drops. It's sort of like playing poker with your cards face up on the table, pointless.

I can't deal with a stock iPhone. No update or new iPhone for me until they get the untethered jailbreak. I'm afraid I'd have an "accident" with a stock iPhone if I had to use one. :D

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
You can bet that any of the exploits that are being used on the betas will be patched when iOS6 drops. It's sort of like playing poker with your cards face up on the table, pointless.

I can't deal with a stock iPhone. No update or new iPhone for me until they get the untethered jailbreak. I'm afraid I'd have an "accident" with a stock iPhone if I had to use one. :D

I'm the same, can't go without a jailbreak and looking at what IOS 6 is about to bring to the table, there isn't that much to get excited about. Guess I'll be hanging back like you, however if a tethered one comes out. I can live with that as I never turn my phone off.

Why do they bother to jailbreak the beta ones then? Is it because the exploits are the same as 5.1.1 and they know that apple are going to patch those ones anyway?

Sent from my jailbroken iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm kind of on the fence about this. I love the jailbreak but I wouldn't mine checking out iOS 6 and the new features and apps that come with it. I'll probably wait though. No need to change a good thing.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
All these people you see jailbreaking have developer accounts and can DIRECTLY INJECT jailbreaking exploits... Which is why they can't release those specifically and we need to wait until some smart dev figures out a way to inject the exploits without breaking the law...
I phone 4 and below will ALWAYS have a tethered jailbreak because geohotz lime rain exploit is hardware based and cannot be patched...
But if you noticed, the day the iPad 3 dropped chpwn and musclenerd and s. esser had theirs jail broken... And the rest of us had to wait a few months before pod2g and the assembled army found a way out of apples sandbox and could exploit a5 devices on ios5

Reactions: 1982ollie

Relletti

Trusted Member
Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I like my jailbreak to much to mess around and have to configure everything again. I think im going to wait for the jailbreak for iOS 6.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
All these people you see jailbreaking have developer accounts and can DIRECTLY INJECT jailbreaking exploits... Which is why they can't release those specifically and we need to wait until some smart dev figures out a way to inject the exploits without breaking the law...
I phone 4 and below will ALWAYS have a tethered jailbreak because geohotz lime rain exploit is hardware based and cannot be patched...
But if you noticed, the day the iPad 3 dropped chpwn and musclenerd and s. esser had theirs jail broken... And the rest of us had to wait a few months before pod2g and the assembled army found a way out of apples sandbox and could exploit a5 devices on ios5

Thanks 3cit, that explains all.

I guess that all the jailbreak community need to update their tweaks, apps, etc to add support for IOS 6, so there would be no real point in updating straight away. Even if you can live with tethered. I am tempted to give it a go when it drops just to have a look and then downgrade.

I remember when 5.1.1 dropped the iTunes signing window didn't close straight away. It took a few days before apple closed it. Reason I say that is because my laptop has nightmares with TU. However you can downgrade with redsn0w pretty easy if you point your hosts to Cydia.

Quick question while on this subject. Do you still need to point your host file to Cydia if you create a custom ipsw file with your blob file or is just the custom ipsw with you blob enough to get you past the signing window?

Last edited:

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I had a heck of a time downgrading ... I'm pretty sure it was host issues because of tiny umbrella or something...
I posted my method of successfully downgrading somewhere... I'll try and track it down...

Ok so here's an update because I know you were all waiting anxiously...
I haven't done anything since 2 weeks ago, but had time yesterday... So I use red snow to put my phone into pwned dfu, I start tiny umbrella, select TSS server, i start itunes, hold shift + restore, I used the 5.0.1 firmware "signed" (using ifaith method), and process starts... And fails after about 10 minutes, but it failed differently this time... Now my phone reboots, shows apple logo, then shows progress bar for a brief second, then reboots and this process repeats!!!! So I try to kick it out of recovery with tiny umbrella but that doesn't work so googling led me to a recovery fix within redsnow, so I wait for my phone to reboot on its own, and put it into dfu mode (power for three seconds, home and power for ten seconds, home for 15ish seconds) and then redsnow does it's thing, looks a little like a jailbreak with ram disk uploading and lots of text in iPhone, then a reboot and *POOF stock apple 5.0.1!!! Great success!!!!
So long story short, I downgraded finally!!!!
I'm going to make a (NOT) needed tutorial and I'll post method, then post link to it here, just in case anyone else wants to downgrade!

Last edited:

rich67

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
The only plus for me to flip to 6 is going to be the Nav with turn by turn. I use Waze right now, which works just fine though. I love having a jailbroken device purely from the customization aspect and the appearance. I always found the standard iOs look plain and boring. I'll have to wait and see what the feedback is once it gets released. The wireless tethering with PDAnet was one of the draws, but I don't need that anymore thanks to VZWs new free tethering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I'm going to wait for the jailbreak. When iOS 5 was released I upgraded (and lost my JB) right away. I actually held off on getting the 4s until the announcement of absinthe. I just don't see the same compelling reasons to upgrade immediately to ios6.

However I am planning on getting the iPhone 5 so if I do, I don't really have a choice :D

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Last time, I had an old boot rom 3GS so I upgraded and could untether jailbreak the same day ;). Now, I have my 4S so that means I'm waiting. Spent too much time and money in Cydia to give it up.

dmt316

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I want is quick wifi and Bluetooth settings. Prefer it in the nc but will be happy with URL re enabled

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Last time, I had an old boot rom 3GS so I upgraded and could untether jailbreak the same day ;). Now, I have my 4S so that means I'm waiting. Spent too much time and money in Cydia to give it up.

I'm the same. I'll be waiting too, then when a jailbreak is available for the next gen iPhone. I'll be upgrading.

talkin73

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
The only plus for me to flip to 6 is going to be the Nav with turn by turn. I use Waze right now, which works just fine though. I love having a jailbroken device purely from the customization aspect and the appearance. I always found the standard iOs look plain and boring. I'll have to wait and see what the feedback is once it gets released. The wireless tethering with PDAnet was one of the draws, but I don't need that anymore thanks to VZWs new free tethering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you clarify on VZW "new free tethering"? I'm not familiar with that but would be eager to have this feature. Thanks for any info.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods