I posted this in another thread be realized that is a dead board and this is more appropriate with the experts since it is more about losing my Jailbreak.

And honestly, I don't use iPhones normally and don't know any of the lingo and need some help that hopefully a newbie can follow.

Here's the sequence of events.

I had an AT&T Go Phone with SIM card that had been activated and given a phone number.

I wanted the functionality of an iPhone, so I bought a Jailbroken 3GS iPhone on eBay. I took my SIM card out of my AT&T Go Phone and simply plugged it into this iPhone and it worked fine.

I plugged it into my iTunes account it it loaded my apps and songs from my iTouch on there and all was right in the world and I've been using it for months now.

Today I saw an app I wanted and it said I must upgrade to iOS 5.1 in order to use that app. I went to my iTunes account and when I clicked on my phone under Devices, it had a button in the screen that said "Check for Update", and clicked that and went through about 30 minutes of updating the software and then it restored the iPhone.

Long story short, when it cycled back through after finishing the full restore and downloading the new software, the iTunes screen suddenly says "There is no SIM card installed in the iPhone you are attempting to activate" (It obviously does have my old AT&T SIM card in there).

If I look on the iPhone itself, it now just gives me a bar to slide, and when I slide it, I'm activating it for the first time setting the language as English, wi-fi networks, etc. But then after hitting next a couple times, it tries to activate the phone and it simply says, "Your iPhone could not be activated because the activation server is temporarily unavailable...".

So I believe I've wiped out the Jailbreak, or the unlocking of it from the previous owner, or whatever the proper term is by doing this restore update. So now I'm just wanting to go back to the way it was. I don't care if it has iOS 5, I just need my phone back since I chucked the old AT&T phone and now have an iPhone that I can't get to recognize any SIM card I stick in there.

Do I re-jailbreak it? Does anyone have a link on how to start when you don't even have a valid SIM card to use? I'm not sure how these work and where to start to get this back to at least being a functional AT&T go-phone that I can just use through an iPhone so I have the wi-fi and other apps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    07-21-2012 07:29 PM
    The jailbreak is definitely gone and the baseband more than likely updated. Can you go to AT&T and ask for a replacement sim card?

Never used a go phone or unlocked my iPhones so this might not work.
    07-21-2012 11:12 PM
    You updated the baseband and software meaning no jb and no unlock .. Your going to have to use redsnow and jb then update to the 6.15.00 bb then downgrade the baseband back to a unlockable one ..

Then use cydia to unteather with rocky raccoon and the unlock with ultrasnow fixer for 5.1.1 and then install ultrasnow

Then I'm sure you will have to configure apn settings to get iMessage mms and Internet working but that's the direction you need to head .. Start with redsnow and the 5.1.1 Ipsw file
    07-22-2012 02:01 AM
    You updated the baseband and software meaning no jb and no unlock .. Your going to have to use redsnow and jb then update to the 6.15.00 bb then downgrade the baseband back to a unlockable one ..

Then use cydia to unteather with rocky raccoon and the unlock with ultrasnow fixer for 5.1.1 and then install ultrasnow

Then I'm sure you will have to configure apn settings to get iMessage mms and Internet working but that's the direction you need to head .. Start with redsnow and the 5.1.1 Ipsw file
    OK. I think I understood about half of that (after getting a little more education from reading some forums).

I downloaded redsn0w and installed it onto the iPhone. Then ran the instructions and installed Cydia. So I believe the iPhone is jb officially as I now can get past the activation screen and officially see icons and surf the web from wifi, etc.

The key differences now is when I put my SIM card back in, it doesn't recognize it, it just says "no service" whether the SIM card is in there or not.

The other key difference from before is that when I go to Settings > General, it has an option for "Software Update" which was never there on the previously jb iPhone. Also, when I press "About", it says I have version 5.1.1, which I had 4.3.3 before. So obviously it is jb now and I've upgraded the version to 5.1.1, but what I'm missing is how I get it to recognize my AT&T SIM card in there to do text messaging. Any thoughts? Do I have to run something on Cydia? Not sure what a baseband is or if that is what you're referring to as being a version that is locked versus unlocked. So maybe that is where I'm getting stuck.

Edit - just looked at settings and noticed baseband (firmware) = 06.15.00. So in following those instructions, I've now loaded ultrasnow and I've also got 06.15.00, but I've not sure how to proceed or how to "downgrade bb to an unlockable one". But I think I'm close with ultrasnow on there and the jb done and the bb at 06.15.00. I'm just not sure how to unlock this to recognize my SIM card.

Thanks
    Last edited by jeffsinpdx; 07-22-2012 at 11:55 AM.
    07-22-2012 11:08 AM
    Keep it as it actually is, on iPad baseband 06.15.00... If you can still do everything as before, then you don't need to downgrade the baseband. If you badly need your GPS to work (Wi-Fi triangulation will still give your position when on wi-fi) then the downgrade is often necessary... but risky.

Right now, you need to make sure you have the following packages installed in Cydia :

UltraSn0w 1.2.7
    Rocky Raccoon 5.1.1 "Untethered Jailbreak"

You should already be able to use your AT&T Sim as UltraSnow unlocks the iPad baseband. Rocky Raccoon is to be sure you're not on a tethered jailbreak, which would mean to "boot tethered" in Redsn0w everytime you turn the power off. If the phone isn't searching for network, put it in Airplane mode for a couple of secs and then turn Airplane mode off again. It will launch the search for your SIM again.

Write back if it doesn't work.
    07-23-2012 03:36 AM
    Sorry. I was on vacation. So this got stale.

I've done most of the following and this iPhone still doesn't recognize my AT&T SIM card when I put it in there.

I know it is unlocked as I can surf the web using my wifi and have all of the buttons available to me, but it still simply says "searching" every time I turn it on and won't recognize the SIM.

I'm on 5.1.1 and my ipad baseband is 06.15.00.

I've gone to Cydia and downloaded the "ultrasn0w fixer for 5.1.1". Then I installed "ultrasn0w 1.2.7". Then I ran Rocky Racoon Racoon 5.1.1.

After running all of those and turning the phone off and then back on again, I still simply get "searching..." and no recognition of my SIM card.

So I'm still missing something. What do I do to get the phone to simply recognize the SIM card instead of say "searching"?

Thanks
    08-09-2012 12:27 AM
    It doesn't look good.

Jailbreak again, same technique, iPad Baseband. Reinstall the above mentionned packages afterwards. If that doesn't work then perhaps the iPhone has been bricked in the process of the Official Restore with iTunes. It happens...

You could still jailbreak another time AND try the risky baseband downgrade, if just jailbreaking it again doesn't work. At least you'll have tried everything...

Your 3GS could probably be sold as an iPod if you get to the point where the phone is still running after all you've tried, but can't get SIM recognition. 60$-80$ if it's in good shape.
    08-09-2012 04:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD