As the title indicates I JB for the first time today and had to go back stock. Could not listen to any music plus a few other issues.

Used Absinthe 2.0.4 on iOS 5.1.1 on 4S

Thoughts?
    07-16-2012 06:46 PM
    Did you try resyncing your library after the jb? A quick Google search finds that it's a very easy fix: Music wont play after absinthe jailbreak 5.1.1 - JailbreakQA

Basically, just delete the music from your device and load it back on after the jailbreak. What's happening is that a database is getting corrupted during the jb process, so the Music app can't find the files anymore until you rebuild the library.
    07-16-2012 07:28 PM
    honestly, as silly as it sounds if you're not in the right frame of mind to jailbreak its gonna be a battle

you have to like to troubleshoot and tinker with software. plain and simple
    07-16-2012 07:36 PM
    Did you try resyncing your library after the jb? A quick Google search finds that it's a very easy fix: Music wont play after absinthe jailbreak 5.1.1 - JailbreakQA

Basically, just delete the music from your device and load it back on after the jailbreak. What's happening is that a database is getting corrupted during the jb process, so the Music app can't find the files anymore until you rebuild the library.
    Thanks Massie

Gonna try again. Should have read more. Thought ihad but you never knows.

Thanks again.
    07-16-2012 08:57 PM
    Sure thing, and good luck! Glad to help if you need a hand or have other questions.
    07-16-2012 09:28 PM
    I tried the jailbreak before and had the same result. Jailbreaking is not worth the hassle and issues that come up. Apple makes their products a certain way for a reason. Jailbreaking does just what it says, it breaks your phone.
    07-16-2012 09:34 PM
    I tried the jailbreak before and had the same result. Jailbreaking is not worth the hassle and issues that come up. Apple makes their products a certain way for a reason. Jailbreaking does just what it says, it breaks your phone.
    I disagree wholeheartedly--the only thing it breaks are limitations. To anyone interested in jailbreaking, feel free to ask me questions directly if you'd like an informed response from someone who has been jailbreaking without any real issues since the 3G was released.

Is it for everyone? No. But if you have a curiosity about computers, art and design, or gadgetry, it opens up a whole new world. And for those that don't find it to their liking, Apple makes it easy to go back to stock; all you need to do is click Restore.
    GingerSnapsBack and pkcable like this.
    07-16-2012 09:50 PM
    I tried the jailbreak before and had the same result. Jailbreaking is not worth the hassle and issues that come up for me
    fixed. .....
    GingerSnapsBack likes this.
    07-16-2012 11:15 PM
    Massie - Thanks again. JB again today and synced again with iTunes and have my tunes back!

May have more questions about Cydia but will read some first.

Thanks again!
    07-17-2012 04:38 PM
    No. No it doesn't break your phone. It should only be done by people who know how to do it and are
    capable of learning how to use it once it's jailbroken.
    07-17-2012 06:13 PM
    Is this guy having a laugh?

It does not break your phone at all,far from it if anything it lifts the shackles that apple put onto it. Once your used to jb and know what your doing its so good you wouldn't want a iPhone to be without it. And on that,once i bought an iPad i took it out of the box and jb it straight away,why mess around?

As a new jail breaker it can be nerve-racking seeing the black screen and white writing flashing up but its just how it does things,the results are amazing. So so many good tweaks that only improve what is already a top iPhone/iPad.
    I can only say go for it,if your unsure get a person who's done it before to do it for you and show you around, ill bet within a month you wouldn't want to be without your jb
    07-17-2012 07:15 PM
    I am an android man with my personal phone (LTEVO) but my job has given me a NEW IPAD so i wanted to root/jailbreak my device....... so the noob question is after i jailbreak if something happens at work is it that simple to restore back to default factory settings just by clicking RESTORE...... and lastly the Cydia store/app does it really have all the tweaks and themes in there for the iPad like changing fonts and colors...... THANKS for the help
    07-20-2012 12:24 PM
    Yes, restoring is pretty simple. Most of the tweaks and themes are readily available, BUT some of the more advanced (and of questionable legality stuff) has to be manually added on. You can find many MANY toturials and stuff in and around the net.
    mhuggins41 likes this.
    07-20-2012 04:36 PM
    Simply put, if there was no JailBreak, I wouldn't buy a iPhone. I have been jailbreaking for about a year now and I understand the do's and donts of it. It is very beneficial if done right, but you cannot just go round installing anything you want.
    07-20-2012 07:59 PM
    As a new jail breaker it can be nerve-racking seeing the black screen and white writing flashing up
    I enjoy seeing this. always means something good is about to happen.
    07-21-2012 02:23 AM
    Just to clarify my "breaking the phone" comment, I think that when you are having to constantly restart or respring your phone, that can be considered broke. Not to mention the speed and graphics issues that occur after you jailbreak. So, you may consider it worth it to have a slower phone for more functionality. I; however, consider it broken.
    07-22-2012 12:21 PM
    I think that when you are having to constantly restart or respring your phone, that can be considered broke. Not to mention the speed and graphics issues that occur after you jailbreak.
    I personally have not experienced a long term impact. I only have a couple modifications, cards view, unique email signatures, and 1 app. I recall that following loading one modification, I had a little trouble with having to re-start the phone, so I removed the modification.

Now, I don't have any issues.

I personally would have given the phone back if I could not have unique email sigs, it was necessary.
    07-22-2012 02:17 PM
    Just to clarify my "breaking the phone" comment, I think that when you are having to constantly restart or respring your phone, that can be considered broke. Not to mention the speed and graphics issues that occur after you jailbreak. So, you may consider it worth it to have a slower phone for more functionality. I; however, consider it broken.
    It's because you did it wrong. Have somebody that knows how to do it and you will have no issues. Jail breaking really does make the iPhone experience even better. Don't give up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    07-22-2012 02:19 PM
    From a simple standpoint, jailbreaking your phone is kind of like running your computer with an Administrator account. You're free to do what you want, but it's really easy to do something that you shouldn't. My kids' ipods and iPhones can get cluttered up pretty badly, since they think that they should install every tweak that catches their eye. When that happens, I have to clean up the mess and tell them to take it easy.

Yes, sometimes you have to respring or restart your phone, but that only happens when you change something that needs to load on a reboot or respring - just like you have to reboot your computer sometimes after applying patches or installing software. It surely doesn't mean that it's "broke". It doesn't hurt to reboot your phone every couple of days, even if you're NOT jailbroken, since Apple's code isn't so perfect that it doesn't benefit from a reboot once in a while.

I've been at this for years now, and I've never seen any speed or graphics issues unless I was installing something that didn't belong there to begin with. On the contrary, my phone (with the tweaks I've done) runs much faster than a stock OS.

As some have said earlier in the thread, jailbreaking isn't for everyone. If you don't know how to swim, you shouldn't jump into the deep end. If you decide to, you should wear your water wings or expect to swallow a bit of water before you get the hang of it.

Luckly, it's easy as a button click to start over from scatch anytime you feel like it...
    BLiNK likes this.
    07-23-2012 01:41 AM
    From a simple standpoint, jailbreaking your phone is kind of like running your computer with an Administrator account. You're free to do what you want, but it's really easy to do something that you shouldn't. My kids' ipods and iPhones can get cluttered up pretty badly, since they think that they should install every tweak that catches their eye. When that happens, I have to clean up the mess and tell them to take it easy.

Yes, sometimes you have to respring or restart your phone, but that only happens when you change something that needs to load on a reboot or respring - just like you have to reboot your computer sometimes after applying patches or installing software. It surely doesn't mean that it's "broke". It doesn't hurt to reboot your phone every couple of days, even if you're NOT jailbroken, since Apple's code isn't so perfect that it doesn't benefit from a reboot once in a while.

I've been at this for years now, and I've never seen any speed or graphics issues unless I was installing something that didn't belong there to begin with. On the contrary, my phone (with the tweaks I've done) runs much faster than a stock OS.

As some have said earlier in the thread, jailbreaking isn't for everyone. If you don't know how to swim, you shouldn't jump into the deep end. If you decide to, you should wear your water wings or expect to swallow a bit of water before you get the hang of it.

Luckly, it's easy as a button click to start over from scatch anytime you feel like it...
    Well said.
    07-23-2012 08:25 AM

Luckly, it's easy as a button click to start over from scratch anytime you feel like it...
    .. FINALLY, another voice of reason around here

typically i try not to engage with people who make comments like the one Jclisenby has made due to them not understanding and more than likely never will
    07-23-2012 12:53 PM
    I disagree wholeheartedly--the only thing it breaks are limitations. To anyone interested in jailbreaking, feel free to ask me questions directly if you'd like an informed response from someone who has been jailbreaking without any real issues since the 3G was released.

Is it for everyone? No. But if you have a curiosity about computers, art and design, or gadgetry, it opens up a whole new world. And for those that don't find it to their liking, Apple makes it easy to go back to stock; all you need to do is click Restore.
    Thanks for the info and offer to answer questions. I'm currently stock but researching the world of jailbreak. My main reason for wanting to jailbreak is to be unique....with a stock phone I feel cookie cutter. I enjoy learning about new apps and miss customizing my phone to my personality.
    07-24-2012 01:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD