I was laying in bed, surfing the Web on my mobile Safari this afternoon and I finally got bloody tired of these gigantic Ads taking up too much needed real estate on my iDevice. So, I did what any intellegent person would do.. I Googled!

I looked up how to block Ads on Safari. The first few links I skipped, like I always do (mistake #1 - The first ones usually hold the Golden Goose) and scrolled down to a few Forums and Sites talking about what I needed. Reading many paragraphs of texts talking about an Add-on called SBAdBlockToggle, I looked in Cydia for it.. to my amazement, it wasn't listed. Then I kept reading and it said I needed to add a Repo to my list. "Sure" I thought to myself. So I added http://cydia.myrepospace.com/CyDevice (mistake #2 - Should have did more research - even though the owners site looked laget) Now, I did read way-back-when I first Jailbroke about evil-doers who hack paid apps and such. So of course, I have made sure to avoid them.

After adding the Repo, and installing the tweak, I activated it. Meh, didn't do as it claimed. Or I just didn't do it right, so I uninstalled.

Later on, I was surfing the web and found a Tweak called SBRotator. Wow, this was awesome. It rotated the Springboard, and if you install other add-ons, it can rotate Setting and other things! So, I jumpped on it (mistake #3 - I failed to read that it was a paid Tweak). I searched in Cydia and found it. FREE! What luck!!

After installing it, it started Respringing, and Respringing, and Respringing, and Respringing.... wait, this had never happened before... "OH CRAP! Have I been hacked!? Did I install a malware!?"

I never removed the Repo I had added. And when I searched for SBRotator, I found it. I never noticed it was from that Repo, and it was Cracked. Which caused my problems. No to mention, it was probably SBRotator 4. Which is not compatible with iOS5.

After a few minutes of searching the web, I found a Software called iFunBox, which allowed me to go into the iPhone Substrate and remove the cracked files.

I hooked up my Looping iDevice, opened iFunBox and located the folders and files.
    (Left Column) Raw File System (Right Body) /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/
    I Deleted anything that had to do with the Tweak I installed.
    That immediately fixed my iDevice. Did not have to Hard Restart or anything. It went from the Respringing animated icon, to the Lock Screen. Right when I pressed DELETE.

So what did I learn. This could have been avoided if I had just read a little more, and been a little more cautious about the Repos and Tweaks downloaded.

I recommend a list be presented and Stickied of all the Repos that are trusted around our community.

I hope all the new Tweakers and Jailbreakers keep their wit about the unknown. RESEARCH! It could save your iDevice and/or your identity.
    Last edited by Matlock; 06-28-2012 at 05:42 AM.
    06-28-2012 12:35 AM
    Ok, well a toggle is only a toggle... Perhaps if you also installed Adblock, then the toggle for Adblock would have worked... Also, and I do not condone piracy, cracked apps are not malware. That tweak would've put you into a respring loop wether you paid for it or not, also why didn't your device end up in safe mode? That's what mobile substrate is for...
    ALSO if we put up a list of "repos to avoid" it's kinda like giving a kid a pack of cigarettes so they will know not to smoke...
    06-28-2012 02:31 AM
    Ok, well a toggle is only a toggle... Perhaps if you also installed Adblock, then the toggle for Adblock would have worked... Also, and I do not condone piracy, cracked apps are not malware. That tweak would've put you into a respring loop wether you paid for it or not, also why didn't your device end up in safe mode? That's what mobile substrate is for...
    ALSO if we put up a list of "repos to avoid" it's kinda like giving a kid a pack of cigarettes so they will know not to smoke...
    Yes, AdBlock was also installed with package of the Toggle. The entire Package included the Main App for SB Settings, AdBlock and many other tweaks for SB all bungled into one. Kind of how like many developers do when you install a Tweak that requires another Tweak to work, it will install that as well.
    But no, AdBlock did not work.

Cracked Apps are not Malware, but Cracked apps that have Code placed into them that do Malicious tings, are. Which is what I meant by the comment. I've been hacking, slashing, ripping, Rooting, Android phones since '08. Kind of familiar with Developers who have a 'naughty' side with altering apps. Good and Bad

Good point. Safe mode was not activated. I did further reading later after I fixed my problem, and the respringing problem I encountered is not uncommon, and not always caught by Safe Mode. So it's one of those things. It's good to have Safe Mode, but like everything else, it's not perfect.

lol - yeah, that's a good reason not to post them. Than we shall edit it. I'll change it to a list of Trusted Sources
    06-28-2012 05:41 AM
    Adblock is or was just on sale for 99 cents.

iFunbox is great - I find it easy to use for working with themes.

Good you got rid of the problem files. There is a list of repos on the forum but I think it hasn't been updated recently? Personally I only add repos from reputable developers. For instance I have Ryan Petrich's added at the moment.
    06-30-2012 02:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD