Cydia like Installer

computerfox

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Hello all,

I'm not sure if this topic is allowed to be discussed in the public so if it's not, just PM me or something.

Okay, so I'm trying to build this installer that would work with my site. Sounds stupid, right? I have my reasons for doing this. Anyway, I have everything set up, but I can't run the dpkg command as root. I was looking at the Cydia package and noticed that there is a Cydia_ and a Cydia file. The Cydia_ file is the actual executable and the Cydia file seems like just a shell script that is possibly calling the Cydia_ file as root. I want to know how I can do this. I see multiple apps that do it this way and am just curious on how I can enable this for my app.

-FOX

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure you'd have to have the dev community setup your installer instead of cydia... So pretty much, whatever your reasons are, they aren't good enough to replace cydia. So I'd recommend just pricing your Items and submitting them o
Bigboss

computerfox

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure you'd have to have the dev community setup your installer instead of cydia... So pretty much, whatever your reasons are, they aren't good enough to replace cydia. So I'd recommend just pricing your Items and submitting them o
Bigboss

Thank you for your reply. Yeah, I was talking to my older brother about it and even he thinks it's a dumb idea, but for some reason I have a tick to finish it. If not to release it, but just to get more familiar with the OS.

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I saw a video on iDownload Blog awhile back about a new web based iOS store for apps that could potentially become an alternative to Cydia. This was a couple months back - nothing since...

computerfox

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I saw a video on iDownload Blog awhile back about a new web based iOS store for apps that could potentially become an alternative to Cydia. This was a couple months back - nothing since...

REALY? I understand how it could be dangerous for the operating system to allow other programs to run as root, but I also see how web based stores could be more efficient since instead of just updating the site, Cydia needs to also update the app.

Oh and I just realized. The dev team installs data for Cydia in multiple locations, not just in /Applications where Cydia has the potential to be run as root, but that still doesn't give the system call root access as it acts as a default login with mobile and you can't do su/sudo nor fork in such a way that you can switch the user to root and run the command. It's a love/hate relationship between me and Unix....

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
REALY? I understand how it could be dangerous for the operating system to allow other programs to run as root, but I also see how web based stores could be more efficient since instead of just updating the site, Cydia needs to also update the app.

Oh and I just realized. The dev team installs data for Cydia in multiple locations, not just in /Applications where Cydia has the potential to be run as root, but that still doesn't give the system call root access as it acts as a default login with mobile and you can't do su/sudo nor fork in such a way that you can switch the user to root and run the command. It's a love/hate relationship between me and Unix....

Pretty much jailbreaking is the same as "rooting" an android, and by pretty much I mean exactly the same... However cydia is the end point if the root. I think the best the op could hope for us an installuous like product.

computerfox

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Pretty much jailbreaking is the same as "rooting" an android, and by pretty much I mean exactly the same... However cydia is the end point if the root. I think the best the op could hope for us an installuous like product.

You mean after the jailbreak installs Cydia it closes everything off again? Yeah. This might sound like a stupid comment, but I'm not familiar with installuous. I might download it just to see how it works. Is it free?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711