Been an iPhone purist, but...

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
...after seeing the iOS 6 announcement yesterday, I might finally give jailbreaking a test run. I have the iPhone 4, and it's pretty obvious that Apple is aiming most of its updates (Siri, turn-by-turn maps, Facetime over 3G/4G) at the newer devices. I've had my phone for over a year, so it's already out of warranty. I figure, what the hell - if I don't like jailbreaking it, I can always go back to stock. :)

Last edited:

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Soooo...I did it. I'm officially jailbroken. It actually was very easy to do and took less than 10 minutes. Paranoia is setting in, but I guess that's normal, right? :D Like I said, I can always go back.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Soooo...I did it. I'm officially jailbroken. It actually was very easy to do and took less than 10 minutes. Paranoia is setting in, but I guess that's normal, right? :D Like I said, I can always go back.

I was worried about iBricking mine, but it went smoothly and other than a Cydia error that I had to fix myself, my JB experience has been smooth sailing. I love the custom tweaks I've installed to make my iPhone mine. I just can't see myself ever going back to stock.

ewarhol

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site

I feel the same way you do. I was very nervous at first, but am becoming more relaxed and really enjoying the features of what a jailbroken phone can do.

The one thing I like about Apple products is if you do something wrong you hook it up to iTunes and restore to stock. I have a Kindle Fire which I bricked. I know it can be fixed but it takes so much computer programming to fix it (which is getting way over my head), that I'm thinking of tossing it and getting an iPad.

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I guess my biggest worry is the security of the phone. For example, if I use online or mobile banking apps, or anything financial, I worry that I'm prone to security compromises. That said, I'm sure other jailbreakers use the same apps I do with no problems or security threats.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I guess my biggest worry is the security of the phone. For example, if I use online or mobile banking apps, or anything financial, I worry that I'm prone to security compromises. That said, I'm sure other jailbreakers use the same apps I do with no problems or security threats.

There's aways that risk when you step outside of Apple's walled garden. But then again, it's a security flaw in the iOS that JBers exploit to jailbreak in the first place. Granted, the risk is smaller with the Apple pure devices vs jailbroken devices, but it's always gonna be there to some extent. And it's probably negligible over all. In fact, I'd put it pretty low on the list of things to be concerned about unless you are running some pretty bizarre/sketchy software or dabbling into cracked (stolen) software.

ewarhol

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I assume that programs/tweaks/themes, etc under Cydia are safe? Is this what it means when a program/tweak/theme is signed? If not what does it mean to be signed?

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I assume that programs/tweaks/themes, etc under Cydia are safe? Is this what it means when a program/tweak/theme is signed? If not what does it mean to be signed?

Welcome to team jailbreak! If you're like me you'll never go back... Jailbreaking is so easy now and it is very stable as well. At one time I wouldn't have touched Winterboard or themes but that's not the case anymore.

The tweaks you find in Cydia are safe just stay away from other repos and you'll be fine. The best thing I can tell anyone new is to install SBSettings before anything else. This will give you more options if need be. Also if you install SSH then also install MobileTerminal and change your wireless and root passwords from the default "alpine".

Your iOS world is now truly opened up. Go forth and make it yours! :D

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site

Congrats. And no need to be paranoid. It's easy to go back.

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Oh btw. Make sure you change your root password. That's the one thing newbz to jailbreaking need to be aware of. It's a security threat cause anyone who jailbreaks prob knows your root password.

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Oh btw. Make sure you change your root password. That's the one thing newbz to jailbreaking need to be aware of. It's a security threat cause anyone who jailbreaks prob knows your root password.

Darn right I know their password, it's alpine. However, unless they install SSH and leave it on there is little risk. that being said it never hurts to install MobileTerminal and change both your wireless and root passwords from the default.

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
So, just to confirm - if I don't install SSH, I don't have to change the root password, right? I'm hesitant to mess with that sort of thing...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234