Verizon Jailbreaking and tethering

ernbrdn

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm still on the fence about jailbreaking my phone. I really like the simplicity that is iOS5, it's beautiful, sleek, and functional. That said I would like to add a little more functionality to my device, volume button track switching, quicker settings, and possibly tethering. Is verizon still blocking unauthorized tethering apps? I'm not wanting to use it a lot, just would like to be able to do a few things online that I am unable to do efficiently with my iPhone.

Also is there really all these problems with jailbroken phones that I read here? I read the bad, and I know it's the internet and all you ever hear is people complaining, but it reminds me of Android, and that was the most frustrating 2 years of my life. (Relatively speaking and all, it is just a cell phone afterall.)

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm still on the fence about jailbreaking my phone. I really like the simplicity that is iOS5, it's beautiful, sleek, and functional. That said I would like to add a little more functionality to my device, volume button track switching, quicker settings, and possibly tethering. Is verizon still blocking unauthorized tethering apps? I'm not wanting to use it a lot, just would like to be able to do a few things online that I am unable to do efficiently with my iPhone.

Also is there really all these problems with jailbroken phones that I read here? I read the bad, and I know it's the internet and all you ever hear is people complaining, but it reminds me of Android, and that was the most frustrating 2 years of my life. (Relatively speaking and all, it is just a cell phone afterall.)

I don't have anything to tether to, but I can is the only problem I'm having with my Verizon iPhone since I JB is that in Cydia, about half the time I get "Access forbidden" on some of the tweaks I try to install. That's about it. No crashing. No iBricks. Works fine with no lags either.

If you do JB, you can go back stock if you want. It's easy.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't have anything to tether to, but I can is the only problem I'm having with my Verizon iPhone since I JB is that in Cydia, about half the time I get "Access forbidden" on some of the tweaks I try to install. That's about it. No crashing. No iBricks. Works fine with no lags either.

If you do JB, you can go back stock if you want. It's easy.

Laura, have you tried "xCon" from Cydia? I wonder if that would get you passed those Access forbidden messages that you're getting.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site

Use tetherme from Cydia. Your network provider won't be able to track you using it. The tether tweak make you phone just behave like you are just using your phone to go online.

I use tetherme over here in the uk with a network that doesn't allow tethering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
That is odd. I had no problems downloading it on mine. Is Verizon behind this? I didn't think the wireless carriers had the ability to block Cydia apps like that.

This just started a couple days ago. I've been all over Cydia trying to find a decent HS tweak that shows weather and found a few, but keep getting that access forbidden both on and off wifi. A few work, but the vast majority I get this.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
It's a network issue... Possibly your network or data speed, or possibly the repo...
But xcon isn't going to do anything for that.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
It's a network issue... Possibly your network or data speed, or possibly the repo...
But xcon isn't going to do anything for that.

Edit - I SSHed my phone through iFile and deleted some stuff and now it works after reinstalling the packages in Cydia. :) I figured that'd fix it but I didn't have time to mess with it until now.

Last edited:

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
PDAnet works great for the first 14 days, then you have to buy it. After the 14 days you cannot log into sites that require a password.

I have been using the free version of PdaNet for a few months now and I am still able to log into sites that require a password including iMore.

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I have been using the free version of PdaNet for a few months now and I am still able to log into sites that require a password including iMore.

That is weird. i tried it a few days ago to check my email while out of the office and it wouldnt let me. and i had been signed into it so i wouldnt have to resign in.... now i am confused as to how you can use it but i cannot.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
That is weird. i tried it a few days ago to check my email while out of the office and it wouldnt let me. and i had been signed into it so i wouldnt have to resign in.... now i am confused as to how you can use it but i cannot.
I don't remember checking my emails while using PdaNet, only posting on various websites which all require a password. I will try checking my emails with PdaNet when I get off work and see if it does or doesn't work for me.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Late last night I checked this and you are right as far as email goes. It's weird though because all of my apps and everything else that requires a password does work. After finding out about the email thing, I just reinstalled MyWi and plan on using that from now on. MyWi seems faster as far as web browsing goes which is nice.

Sent from my iPad LTE using Tapatalk HD.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner