Here's my situation - Tetherme or MyWi

Manzanas

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I have an iPhone 4S, jailbroken with Absinthe 2.0.1, on AT&T, with a limited data plan.

I'm trying to tether to my iPad 2, wifi only, not jailbroken. Due to the nature of my job, my phone is always on wifi, so really I only end up using about half of my data, so going over is probably not an issue. Also, I only plan to tether on the rare occasion, and probably for 20-30 min max.

The "personal hotspot" option doesn't show up on my iphone settings anywhere, so I don't know if I can use tetherme, since I'm told that it uses the native personal hotspot option to enable tethering.

MyWi is pretty pricy, and not sure if I need all those bells and whistles it comes with.

So which one do you recommend based on my needs?

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Tetherme will turn the hotspot option on on your phone. I've heard good things about it, had it installed, but never used it. Mywi is too expensive and doesn't get nearly enough support for the price. Go with pdanet. Free and I can personally vouch for it

Manzanas

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Will pdanet hide tethering from your carrier? I've heard that tetherme makes it look like the data being used is being used by your phone, therefore keeping att from sending the nasty tethering letters.

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Will pdanet hide tethering from your carrier? I've heard that tetherme makes it look like the data being used is being used by your phone, therefore keeping att from sending the nasty tethering letters.

This is the whole reason I have never tried. Although data is data, I don't want to be hassled by AT&T.

Manzanas

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Supposedly you get harassed on Mywi, and only if you use up large amounts of data. Hopefully other people can chime in with suggestions.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
i always hear the argument that the carrier only ever says anything if your data consumption jumps...
so for your particular example, i think you should be fine with whatever you choose, but like i said, go free!!!
also they warn you once or maybe twice

Manzanas

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
A little side question, when you are tethering, do you use up your data at a faster rate than if you were using it on your iPhone?

Tony2255

Trusted Member
May 26, 2012
Visit site
i always hear the argument that the carrier only ever says anything if your data consumption jumps...
so for your particular example, i think you should be fine with whatever you choose, but like i said, go free!!!
also they warn you once or maybe twice

Which free one do you use? Pdanet?

Sent using Tapatalk

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i've been using MyWi for 3 years now and have yet to receive any type of warning because of it

i'm not saying it would not, and has not, happen to anyone else. just not me, yet..

Manzanas

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm about to pull the trigger on one app. Just need to know if the data will be used up at the same rate as my iphone does now. Someone had told me that the ipad (which is where I'm tethering to) will use up the data faster for some reason.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox