JB 5.1.1 full of scam ads in Cydia.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else having an issue with constant scam ads. I don't know what else to call them. Every time I open an app in Cydia I immediately get switched to a new screen that says Congratulations, and it's getting rather annoying. Never had this on the 5.0.1 JB. Is there a way to stop this?

6c10ca66-be1f-0ee6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
werid, never seen that before. i wonder if it's because i have my Block Pop-ups turned to OFF in my Safari settings

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I just turned mine to OFF now too, but this is for Safari. How will it help when this issue is with Cydia?
sorry-3.gif

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Well Irish rose, I'm not a hypocrite, so no shame coming from me, but it's ONLY because you have additional "unseemly" repos...
Add adblocker and configure it in settings to include cydia.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Well Irish rose, I'm not a hypocrite, so no shame coming from me, but it's ONLY because you have additional "unseemly" repos...
Add adblocker and configure it in settings to include cydia.

I'm not sure what repos I have that would be "unseemly" as the only one that I added was the Pandora Skip repo. It is the only repo I had on the last JB too and I never had this issue before. I already have Adblock. How do I configure it to work on Cydia?

These are my only repos and they are all legal as far as I know.

6c10ca66-dd96-afce.jpg

Last edited:

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i bet it is coming from that xSellize repo

whenever i get a tweak from an undesirable repo i always remove the repo right after download

Reactions: Eileen89

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
i bet it is coming from that xSellize repo

whenever i get a tweak from an undesirable repo i always remove the repo right after download

Thanks, BLiNK. I just removed that repo, so hopefully those messages will stop now. Actually, now that I think about it, this makes sense because I didn't have this repo installed on my iPad and I wasn't getting those messages. Thanks again, I bet they will stop now. :)

Therealb

May 19, 2012
Visit site
That add is off of installous download adblocker then turn it on for installous and u won't get that add coming up anymore when u try to download a file

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
That add is off of installous download adblocker then turn it on for installous and u won't get that add coming up anymore when u try to download a file

I do NOT have installous on any of my JB devices, so this is not the case. ;)

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah the ads have NOTHING to do with installuous. And it's definitely from xsellize.

Agreed. Since deleting this repo from my 4S today, I haven't seen anymore ads like the one in my first post.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
That ad has nothing to do with "bad" repos...I just got it this past week on my device and I have none of those repos. Mine popped up when I first tried to see the Blackout info page, and then reappeared once on the Cydia home page. Has not returned since I rebooted. I tweeted to both the Blackout dev and Saurik about it but never heard back. I'm not really sure who is in charge of selling Cydia ad space though, so they might not have total control over it.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Cydia just opens by default to the last page opened right? So if you selected an app from a repo, it goes to the repo via cydias in app web browser, and that repo might have popup adds.
It doesn't seem like something Saurik would be behind.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Cydia just opens by default to the last page opened right? So if you selected an app from a repo, it goes to the repo via cydias in app web browser, and that repo might have popup adds.
It doesn't seem like something Saurik would be behind.

I always go back to the Cydia home screen when I am finished looking at or downloading something, so it never opens to an old page for me.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I've never seen the notification like that, but when I'm looking at LS or HS stuff, I have to tap the screenshot button. When I do, sometimes, but not often, I'll be taken to a page in Cydia that tells me I won a free iPad and all I need to do is provide my SSN, mother's maiden name, bank account information and mailing address and they'll send me one and a free unicorn. I haven't seen one in weeks though. All I'd have to do was go back to the main page of the app I wanted to DL then hit screen shot again and it was gone.