Absinthe nightmare

misc#IM

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
iPad 3 won't connect to cellular data. Or rather, it cycles between saying it's on 3G (yet with possibly sub-EDGE speeds) and displaying the little blank circle, or simply saying "Searching?" (in the latter two cases, trying to go anywhere in Safari gets the error that the iPad is not connected at all.)

I've called Verizon support, but they couldn't find anything wrong on their end. And on my end I've tried everything I could think of - DFU restore, reset all content and settings, iTunes restore, reset network settings, reprovision account, toggle on/off LTE/cell data/wifi, restore from backup (both iCloud and on disk).

I have AppleCare Plus, but I don't want to deal with any guff for jailbreaking. Kind of freaking out though, because my Twitter and Google searching would seem to indicate that this is not a widespread problem.

Any ideas? :(

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
You said you restored your iPad at some point. Did that clear the problem? If so, when do these connectivity issues arise? Right after you jailbreak, or after you install some tweaks?

misc#IM

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
No tweaks installed. Can't be sure if it ever worked - I first did it at work last night, but I had wifi connectivity there, and I'm not sure if I ever tested whether the 4G was working. The thing was, I realized my backup was on iCloud and there's no way to restore an iCloud backup without reset all content and settings. So I did a reset all content and settings, this time choosing during the setup sequence to restore from iCloud backup, and ran Absinthe while the apps were downloading. Again, everything seemed hunky dory - until I got home. I didn't try the iPad on my way home because it was almost out of power, but when I got home, there was an unrelated issue with the wifi, and that's when I noticed the cell data wasn't working.

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I'd advise you to restore the iPad and check to see if you still have connectivity issues (just to rule out hardware problems). Then use the updated Absinthe 2.0.1.
I don't know if downloading apps while jailbreaking caused the problem, but try using Absinthe 2.0.1 while the iPad is idle.

Reactions: misc#IM

misc#IM

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
I'd advise you to restore the iPad and check to see if you still have connectivity issues (just to rule out hardware problems). Then use the updated Absinthe 2.0.1.
I don't know if downloading apps while jailbreaking caused the problem, but try using Absinthe 2.0.1 while the iPad is idle.

Thanks but I've tried restoring several times, with every combination of variables I can think of
  • Method: Standard iTunes restore, DFU, "Erase All Content and Settings" from Settings
  • Backup: Set up as new iPad, restore from iCloud backup, restore from iTunes backup
  • Absinthe: no jailbreak, 2.0.0 (the first time), 2.0.1 (subsequently)
  • Update carrier settings prompt in iTunes: (I've chosen both yes and no)
  • Computer used: I've tried my personal Mac and my work PC

At this point, and after chatting with some people on the jailbreakme IRC, I'm left to assume that my SIM card's been fried. I don't know how, but I don't know of any way to "virginize" the firmware more than I have, and the people there were certain that Absinthe 2.0 doesn't affect the baseband.

Unfortunately I got asked to sub for a coworker's shift this morning, so I won't be able to take in the iPad til this afternoon, assuming the agonizing suspense doesn't kill me first. :(

Nevin

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I have had exactly the same problem. I have tried every imaginable way of reinstalling firmware, which has not made any difference to the situation. I have tried other SIM cards for the same network, and others, and it has made no difference.

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I have had exactly the same problem. I have tried every imaginable way of reinstalling firmware, which has not made any difference to the situation. I have tried other SIM cards for the same network, and others, and it has made no difference.

Restore as new then re-JB.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711