Is 2.0 worth it???

phillies20

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I am currently jailbroken and have so many tweaks and themes and my phone set up exactly how I like it. If I re-JB to 2.0, I will lose everything and I have do it all over again. Am I really gaining anything special by upgrading to 5.1.1 that I don't currently have now with my current Jailbreak?? I don't really see a huge improvement to go thru the trouble. Any thoughts?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i personally see that you would gain better battery performance with 5.1.1 (this can only be achieved if you Set up as New phone after a restore) if you are fine with your battery performance then i would not worry about it

so this WAS indeed worth it to me since battery life is a major priority for me

the other thing you might want to consider is unless you have your blobs saved for 5.0.1 you will be forced to upgrade, for now, to 5.1.1

phillies20

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
My battery life has been fine. I'm not sure what you mean by blobs? When will I be forced to upgrade ? I can't just stay this way until I get a new phone some day??

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
SHSH blobs are vital information unique to that specific device and will be needed in order to restore back to that specific firmware (OS) EVEN after Apple has stopped signing it. which Apple has stopped signing 5.0.1 a long time ago

situations where you might be forced to upgrade could consist of getting a hold of a bad tweak that corrupts your device, or unknown battery drain etc. and sometimes issues not even related to jailbreaking

more than likely you probably will be able to stay "that way" until you get a new phone but nothing is for sure. you're dealing with software which can go south on you at times

one scenario for you could be as such, lets say you do not save your SHSH blobs for 5.0.1 (which you can anytime as long as you are still on it) and then Apple eventually stops signing 5.1.1 (which they will) and for some crazy reason you have to restore your phone. you will be forced to update to the newest OS which more than likely will not be jailbroken at that time. then you will have a nice stock iPhone for who knows how long :)

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
whenever Apple releases a firmware update they are essentially allowing ALL capable devices to restore an unlimited times to that specific OS ("signing")

however, when Apple releases an update they are essentially signing 2 firmwares but not for long. could be several or just a couple of days when they stop signing the previous firmware. when this happens you cannot go back EXCEPT if you have saved your SHSH blobs (not an Apple thing. in fact, they probably despise the fact that this can be done)

i hope i explained that well haha

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Think of it as your a employee of apple with a badge

When apple updates there badges
Your current badge only works for so long before the security guard tell you your access is denied And you need a new one.

By saving your shsh basically your reusing your current badge and sneaking past security so that way you don't have to get a new one

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR