Absinthe 2.0 is out!!!

zm976311

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
777. You're confusing backup with restore. Backup simply saves your apps and previous settings and puts them back on your phone. It doesn't affect the jailbreak or alter the operating system. A restore will erase all the jailbreak info and revert a phone back to the stock OS. So when you restore a backup, all you're doing is putting the apps and other info back on your phone that you backed up before. It won't delete the jailbreak data.
This. Also, I'm almost positive you can make a backup right before you plan on restoring back to stock OS and it will have no adverse effects. You won't have any traces of a jailbreak and you'll still have the most recent possible backup.

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
hello guys, anybody can help me here? i already finish the jailbreak i jailbreak my ipad2 32g 3g , and 2 other iphone4 for my friend. i got a problem in my ipad2 that the big boss repo and the zottd didnt have any content in it and when i want to install sb setting, winter board, lock info, activator it cannot install with the note that cannot find package. this problem only appear in my ipad2 the other iphone 4 didn't have this kind of problem. need help please.

Firstly this could be caused by the servers being hammered again because we have just had lots of new jailbreak with the release of Absinthe 2.0.

Secondly, when you open Cydia and it says loading packages at the top. Are you waiting for them all to load and then for Cydia to refresh.

Thirdly, try removing the repo an adding it again.

This is probably due to the servers being overloaded. Try it first the in the morning or last thing at night. When the servers are not in peek traffic time. ;)

Reactions: YohanesPatrick

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I still dont get it

Once jailbroken return to iTunes and restore your backup from earlier. To do so, right click on your device name under the 'Devices' menu in the left panel of iTunes and click 'Restore From Backup...' then select the latest backup you created before. (restoring this backup will return all the content previously on your device, i.e. apps, photos, etc.)

Wasn't the backup taken before JB. If i restore it, why does it not remove JB?

Or, in other words, how is this procedure different from reversing JB?

When you use Apple software (i.e. iTunes). It will only back up apple ios software. So itunes will not see any of the jailbreak stuff because its not looking for it when making a backup. So if you make a back of you phone when you are jailbroken. It only backs up all standard/stock app's and you settings, data, etc. ITunes will not back up any jailbroken related stuff.

Does that help you understand it a little better.

Also just to give you a tip - If you update your IOS in the future, it will right over your jailbreak just like if you restore your device to factory settings.

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
This. Also, I'm almost positive you can make a backup right before you plan on restoring back to stock OS and it will have no adverse effects. You won't have any traces of a jailbreak and you'll still have the most recent possible backup.

This is correct. There can be no trace of a jailbreak as you are basically wiping the phone and starting again.

9thWonder

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
well i finally bit the bullet and jailbroke. I still say it's quite a confusing process with tons of people saying different things. this is what worked for me.

Iphone 4s, sprint, jailbroken only to 5.0.1 (windows laptop), itunes 10.5.0.142

tried the absinthe instructions but keep hitting problems various points.

I backup my podcasts by saving the omph file (or however you spell it)
Itunes backup
then cause the instructions said upgrade to the latest. I tried to update my iphone over the air. That failed. I tried to update through itunes. It downloaded, extracted, then failed to install. Error 3194 I think.
Through google searching i found out i needed to "clear my host file of an apple.com reference." So i had to find my host file. I navigated to c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and opened the file in notepad and deleted the line. "74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com" at the bottom. Then i saved the file. I restarted the computer. I tried to update the my iphone again through itunes. And Itunes updated the iphone just fine to 5.1.1. Note. this update too maybe 15 minutes total. It seemed to hang at "waiting for iphone" and the iphone showed that the meter on the screen had not started moving. I kinda thought it was broken but i gave it time. I came back maybe ten minutes later and itunes had changed it's message to updating so i knew at least it hadn't hung even though my iphone still kinda looked unresponsive. It eventually finished updating just fine. Now all my jailbreak was gone but some old apps where there but they just crashed when you tried to use them.

Next i ran the absinthe 2.0.2 jailbreak and just let it go. It jailbroke just fine. Then i ran cydia once and it said updating packages or framework or something. Sorry i forget but cydia updated something. Oh and then cydia asked me about a raccoon untethered jailbreak. I did it but again that wasn't meantioned in any of the instructions i read so it was kinda confusing. I'd already installed an untethered jailbreak. I had no clue what that was. And i never had to do it the first time i jailbroke. So i was kinda confused. Regardless i did it and it worked fine.

Now the jailbreak apps that crashed worked again. I didn't even have to update them. All the jailbreak app settings were still there. All the itunes settings and all my photos were still in the phone. Same wallpaper. my music was still there. Even when i reinstalled SB settings the sbsettings settings were still there. I read a couple different instructions on imore and greenpoison but i pretty much had to fill in the big blanks and skip stuff they said do but others said don't do. But now everything seems to work fine.

Last edited:

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
fo Oh and then cydia asked me about a raccoon untethered jailbreak.

That's what this JB is called. Rocky Raccoon.

I did it but again that wasn't meantioned in any of the instructions i read so it was kinda confusing. I'd already installed an untethered jailbreak. I had no clue what that was. And i never had to do it the first time i jailbroke. So i was kinda confused. Regardless i did it and it worked fine.

You'll get updates in Cydia like you would in the App Store. I've had to update RR twice since I JB last week.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
it's actually spelled Racoon in Cydia, i have no idea why lol

And that bugs me every time I see it misspelled too. I cringe when I see bad grammar and spelling.

From Cydia package Description:

attachment.php

Now you know. :D

Reactions: BLiNK

mededitor

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Anyone notice that standby times with this release are really a mixed bag? One day I'll have fantastic standby and the next I'll have something like what I have today.

I just jumped back to my iPhone 4 when I saw the untethered JB was released for OS5.1.1. The JB went super-smooth for me, so much easier than the "old" GreenPoison with DFU mode, etc. However, I've noticed exactly what you're asking---fast battery drain on standby.

I haven't loaded my iPhone with a lot of tweaks yet, I'm trying to keep it simple (relatively speaking). I even did a reset prior to the JB to make sure any old stuff was deleted.

I'm curious to see how the potential battery issue goes and if others are noticing the same thing.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
I have some pretty bad battery life with this, too. If I have about 1.5 hours of use and 5 hours of standby, I am at about 65%. That doesn't seem good to me. What tweaks are loaded on your system?

I have

Lockinfo
Zephyr
SBSettings
Activator
3G Unrestrictor (but it's disabled in SBSettings)
Firewall IP (just added to see if I can find any extraneous connections)
Action Menu
Assistant Extensions
Mail Enhancer Pro
Popup Blocker
BiteSMS

I don't have Winterboard installed.

mededitor

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
My tweaks are:

LockInfo
biteSMS
SBSettings
Activator
PopUp Blocker
AdBlock
SpringMe
Infinifolders
Weather Icon
WinterBoard
Touch Icon
SBSettings

These are far fewer than I had when my iPhone was running 4.2.6 with the GreenPoison JB and I don't remember my standby time affected like this. I'll wait and see if things settle down; I just reactivated my iPhone 4 and updated to 5.1.1 yesterday. I seem to remember battery-life improving after a few days when I first got my iPhone.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed because I can't imagine running "Pure."

zm976311

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Only thing I have in terms of jailbreak apps and tweaks and really the only reason I jailbroke is Sparrow+... Once they release the info on how they're gonna work push in terms of price I really will have no need for jailbreaking. Unless the price is just too steep for me... In which case i'll keep it jailbroken haha

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Anyone notice that standby times with this release are really a mixed bag? One day I'll have fantastic standby and the next I'll have something like what I have today. View attachment 16253

Unless I'm not seeing the same thing as you, that would be some of the best battery life I've ever seen, by a huge margin, just what do you consider "fantastic"???:confused:

zm976311

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Unless I'm not seeing the same thing as you, that would be some of the best battery life I've ever seen, by a huge margin, just what do you consider "fantastic"???:confused:

Obviously that's not the true usage... I or no one else is going to get 16 hrs of usage. My point was that the phone was being stopped from fully going to sleep. I use my phone for a little more than 5 hrs a day, let alone 4.5 hrs out of the 10 it's been off the charger.

9thWonder

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
That's what this JB is called. Rocky Raccoon.

I did not know that. I always thought it was called Absinthe. Regardless i found it confusing.

You'll get updates in Cydia like you would in the App Store. I've had to update RR twice since I JB last week.

seems that way. i didn't really have much choice by that time. i kinda was like "F-it now i'm already in deep. What harm can it do?" Me i just think all the instructions for these things are not written that well and leave it to you to fill in a bunch of blanks. But i've only done a jail break once before. Those instructions were fine and spot on. but that one didn't have to account for uprading the OS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2