Absinthe 2.0 is out!!!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the list. Its step 3 that confuses me since activating the phone makes me restore the phone from my backup. There isn't a time to jb before my phone is restored from my backup.
Restoring the iOS and restoring from back-up are two distinct things. Once you've retorted the iOS, you can skip/cancell/ignore restoring from back-up until after you run the jailbreak tool.

Ziltoid

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the list. Its step 3 that confuses me since activating the phone makes me restore the phone from my backup. There isn't a time to jb before my phone is restored from my backup.

Are you still connected to iTunes when you are activating? I would disconnect it from your PC. I did or just close iTunes.

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Restoring the iOS and restoring from back-up are two distinct things. Once you've retorted the iOS, you can skip/cancell/ignore restoring from back-up until after you run the jailbreak tool.

So set up as new iphone? I can't skip as it is already checked. The only option are new iphone, itunes backup, or icloud backup.

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Are you still connected to iTunes when you are activating? I would disconnect it from your PC. I did or just close iTunes.

Yes I was but i still have to choose one of the 3 options to activate. I'll start the process over as I now have a deactivated iphone.

Last edited:

Stephxieh

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
When it asks you if you want to restore from backup just say no. that will activate it as a new phone and then you can jailbreak.

after you are jailbroken you can log into your iCloud

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
When it asks you if you want to restore from backup just say no. that will activate it as a new phone and then you can jailbreak.

after you are jailbroken you can log into your iCloud

Should I sign into my apple account when it gives me the option after saying I want to set it up as a new phone?

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Good news is I successfully jailbroke my iphone. Now I can't get into icloud for my backup so I'm going to restore the software and restore from my icloud. I'll lose the jb but at least my phone will be back. Thanks for all your help.

PulsedHalo

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Quick question. Is it normal right now for me to get a sum mismatch error for most of the stuff I'm trying to download from cydia? All i want is the dam SBsettings!!!

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Quick question. Is it normal right now for me to get a sum mismatch error for most of the stuff I'm trying to download from cydia? All i want is the dam SBsettings!!!

Yes. Servers have been busy.

Also, make sure you have Winterboard installed. That seemed to solve most of my problems.

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible to jailbreak without cleaning your device of apps and data? My issue is the whole activation process because you can't restore from icloud except for the initial phone setup. Once you've set your phone up as new, it will only let you back up to icloud which I don't want to do and lose my real backup.

Shooter03

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
i followed instructions to the T and it took me all of 10 mins to jailbreak my iphone 4s. just restoring my apps and shiz now. anyone having issues should really READ the INSTRUCTIONS and FOLLOW them. It's pretty simple really.

rich67

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible to jailbreak without cleaning your device of apps and data? My issue is the whole activation process because you can't restore from icloud except for the initial phone setup. Once you've set your phone up as new, it will only let you back up to icloud which I don't want to do and lose my real backup.

Not sure if I'm understanding your question, but let me try: if you're on 5.1.1 (stock) and want to jailbreak, simply back up your data to the Cloud using iTunes. Then run the Absinthe JB utility. You don't need to wipe your phone first, although some people tell you it makes the process quicker. Not necessary though. Once you're jailbroken, all your apps and data should still be on the phone. The jailbreak process itself doesn't wipe that data clean- you are backing up JUST IN CASE something catastrophic happens during the JB process, which is unlikely.
HOWEVER. If you are on 5.0.1 (like I was), you have to first restore and upgrade to 5.1.1. The only way I could do this easily was to plug my phone in (jailbroken) to my mac, and run Tiny Umbrella (I already had used it to save my SSH Blobs). In the preferences pane, I made sure that the setting "Set hosts to Cydia on Exit" was UNCHECKED. This way, iTunes can connect to your phone- otherwise, it is redirected to Cydia instead of iTunes and you keep getting an error when trying to upgrade to 5.1.1..like it can't connect to the server (which it can't). Once that was done, I had to upgrade to 5.1.1 thru iTunes, which cleared all my data. However, the backup was there, and it loaded all my apps and pics and music quickly. THEN, I went to Absinthe and jailbroke the phone. All my stuff was still on it.

This is an extremely dumbed down version. I just wanted you to know you don't "lose" anything except for some time required to restore your backups, and they will always be there.

Reactions: Superjudge

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if I'm understanding your question, but let me try: if you're on 5.1.1 (stock) and want to jailbreak, simply back up your data to the Cloud using iTunes. Then run the Absinthe JB utility. You don't need to wipe your phone first, although some people tell you it makes the process quicker. Not necessary though. Once you're jailbroken, all your apps and data should still be on the phone. The jailbreak process itself doesn't wipe that data clean- you are backing up JUST IN CASE something catastrophic happens during the JB process, which is unlikely.
HOWEVER. If you are on 5.0.1 (like I was), you have to first restore and upgrade to 5.1.1. The only way I could do this easily was to plug my phone in (jailbroken) to my mac, and run Tiny Umbrella (I already had used it to save my SSH Blobs). In the preferences pane, I made sure that the setting "Set hosts to Cydia on Exit" was UNCHECKED. This way, iTunes can connect to your phone- otherwise, it is redirected to Cydia instead of iTunes and you keep getting an error when trying to upgrade to 5.1.1..like it can't connect to the server (which it can't). Once that was done, I had to upgrade to 5.1.1 thru iTunes, which cleared all my data. However, the backup was there, and it loaded all my apps and pics and music quickly. THEN, I went to Absinthe and jailbroke the phone. All my stuff was still on it.

This is an extremely dumbed down version. I just wanted you to know you don't "lose" anything except for some time required to restore your backups, and they will always be there.

Yes this answered my question. I will try again tonight or tomorrow without wiping my device which is what has made this process so frustrating for me. Thanks a lot.

rich67

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
i followed instructions to the T and it took me all of 10 mins to jailbreak my iphone 4s. just restoring my apps and shiz now. anyone having issues should really READ the INSTRUCTIONS and FOLLOW them. It's pretty simple really.

Agree. Only thing is, the instructions are very vague when you are looking for info to go from a jailbroken 5.0.1 to the jailbroken 5.1.1. The instructions are primarily geared toward people going from STOCK 5.1.1 to Jailbroken. I think a lot of people are having issues with the steps to "UNjailbreak" 5.0.1 so you can have 5.1.1 installed and go from there.
But once you have that down, the rest of it is a piece of cake. It's a heckufa lot easier than rooting an Android!! LOL

Reactions: cocochannel

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR