all my apps disappeared-HELP!

teach1love

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a jailbroken 4s. I obviously had an issue with an app and it went into safe mode. When I restarted, all of my apps had disappeared. All my jailbreak stuff was there and the stock Apple apps but nothing else. I have tried several restarts and a couple boots to no avail. If I tether to iTunes and restore my apps, will it wipe out my jailbreak? Have never had to do before! Help!

teach1love

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
One more thing...I just checked my memory and that hasn't changed. I assume that means the apps are still on the device and just hidden??

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
*If* they are indeed hidden, check out this response courtesy of Sherlock: It may or may not help in your situation.

"...The most likely app that could be hiding it would be SBsettings. Most everyone has that as one of their first Cydia apps. Have them look in the settings for SBsettings for "hide icons"."

teach1love

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
no, that wasn't it. none of my apps are showing up there either. could it be a jb app that is hiding it? like i said, the memory is still being taken up.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
how do i restore my apps from iTunes? i am scared it will mess up the JB or update OS when i don't want it to...
I'm not jailbroken so I'm not sure how iTunes would affect it, if at all. Can you not just go to the purchased section of your device's App Store and re-download them?

Reactions: teach1love

teach1love

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
thanks again, see how much i can learn here? I did that with a few apps but the data was gone. it has to be hiding somewhere based on memory usage. would iCloud restore the data itself and not just the app?

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
This is a strange situation. SBsettings can hide apps but not on random. Are the apps "white" or actually gone?

As long as iTunes recognizes your iPhone I would use it to put the apps back manually arrange them (not restore) or redownload them on the phone through the AppStore. I synch apps on jailbroken devices using iTunes all the time. You just don't want to do a complete restore.

Sent from an iPhone4s with Tapatalk

teach1love

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
no, the apps are gone, not white. Does iCloud restore data from the apps? I am still confused as to why there is no change in the memory. If the apps and the data within was wiped, shouldn't it have restored the memory? The complete resort option will be obvious?! (This is Apple, what am I thinking?)

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
My advice would be to sync your iPhone with iTunes, uncheck the apps to sync and it will uninstall them. It'll reset the memory as well. Then try reinstalling them. If they were set to backup to iCloud their data should presumably be restored. I have never put this to the test but it works with new devices.

Last edited:

teach1love

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
My advice would be to sync your iPhone with iTunes, uncheck the apps to sync and it will uninstall them. It'll reset the memory as well. Then try reinstalling them. If they were set to backup to iCloud their data should presumably be restored. I have never put this to the test but it works with new devices.
First of all, sorry for the newbie questions ahead of time! When I reinstall the apps, will the data that goes along with them sync in one step or do I have to go into Icloud and download the data? I did check my Icloud on my device and all of my missing apps are still listed which I presume is a good sign. Will my jailbreak remain intact? From what I understand, as long as I do not do a restore, my OS will remain at same version and JB will remain, correct? Thanks for all the help folks! Wont be able to try until I get home from work-its killing me!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
First of all, sorry for the newbie questions ahead of time! When I reinstall the apps, will the data that goes along with them sync in one step or do I have to go into Icloud and download the data? I did check my Icloud on my device and all of my missing apps are still listed which I presume is a good sign. Will my jailbreak remain intact? From what I understand, as long as I do not do a restore, my OS will remain at same version and JB will remain, correct? Thanks for all the help folks! Wont be able to try until I get home from work-its killing me!
It is my understanding that if you're just 'syncing', you should be fine.

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site

No such thing as a newbie question... :)

If you just ask iTunes to un-sync your apps and then change the setting to sync them you will not loose your jailbreak. This should remove the data from the apps that are "disappeared" and then reinstall them. You can try just syncing without removing them through iTunes first but I doubt that will bring them fully back.

Do not restore - that will remove your jailbreak! This is just synching.

thomaswoodlick

May 1, 2012
Visit site
There is a free backup app (Aptbackup) on Cydia you use to backup Cydia apps to your computer.
Won't override since the Cydia apps are backed up in a different location on your Mac. You can download Appsync for 4.0+ from Cydia (Hackulo repository) and it will sync you JB'd apps. However, keep in mind if you ever restore and remove your JB, those apps will not sync with your regular Non jailbroken phone.
I was also lost some apps when I did JB. I had lost my most favourite app The fat finger after JB. In I was unable to retrieve it. Then my friend suggest me its parent website Fat Finger Keyboard | Keyboard for Fat Fingers | Touch Text App and I was re-purchased it. But now I know how to retrieve hidden apps after JB.

Thanks
Thomas:)

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
i have the exact problem now i can't find a solution i am searching the whole internet for it idk is i need to restart i just need it to be working again all of it is gone i can't see no apps when i plug it to my computer it says it doesn't recognize my phone i'm still in iOS 8.4 jailbroken iphone 5s no apps are showing all disappeared i really neeeeeeeed helpppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please pleaseeeeeeeeee

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
how do you retrieve it please tell me

I have no idea. I've never had a jailbroken phone. But I'm sure your issue has to do with your jailbreak. It's late here. You might have better response to your plea tomorrow. Have you tried Reset Home Screen layout?
Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Home Screen Layout This resets the icons on your screen. It doesn't delete them.