Tweak to move cursor?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Is there a tweak that will give you a way to backspace your cursor/caret without deleting letters? (Maybe using volume buttons?) Sometimes I really miss being able to do that without doing a long press.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Well, it's not quite what I wanted after all?SwipeShiftCaret doesn't work everywhere. The URL bar, search box, and (most importantly!) the iMore reply box are all no-gos. Where it works it works well, but I'm not sure it's for me.

Reactions: 3under2

3under2

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Well, it's not quite what I wanted after all—SwipeShiftCaret doesn't work everywhere. The URL bar, search box, and (most importantly!) the iMore reply box are all no-gos. Where it works it works well, but I'm not sure it's for me.

Thanks for the tip! I just downloaded this thanks to you. It works for me on iMore? I also tested sms and FB and all are good to go. I'm so loving you right now ... MUAH!

Sent from my jailbroken and heavily tweaked iPhone 4 using Tapatalk ;).

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Ha, you're welcome. Whenever I tried to use it in a reply here, the whole imore page would shift over. Maybe it's different for Tapatalk, which you're using?

3under2

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, maybe you're right. I also tried it on atomic web browser and it is golden there too ... Wth!?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
It does, actually!

From the iDB review:

"Update: I?ve tried SwipeSelection on my iPhone, and it works there as well! The only issue is that there isn?t a shift key on the right side of the keyboard like there is on the iPad, so selecting text works better from left to right instead of from right to left. The single finger, and two finger drags work exactly like they do on the iPad, which makes text editing so much more intuitive."

Reactions: sherlock

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
It's there now. I used it already in his post and it is awesome! This is going to be one of my top 5 tweaks...

Just figured out it will move the cursor up through lines or even paragraphs.

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

3under2

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I just downloaded it too for my iphone. I think I'm in love!!

Scarlet

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I currently don't have it yet, but because of all the love I'm heading to cydia right now... Y'all should get a cut for being excellent salesmen and woman!

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I just downloaded it too for my iphone. I think I'm in love!!

Scarlet

I'm giddy actually - this is great!

I currently don't have it yet, but because of all the love I'm heading to cydia right now... Y'all should get a cut for being excellent salesmen and woman!

I get a cut from every sale. Doh it's free! Rats... :D

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
The one place it's lacking on the iPhone is in text selection--because there is a Shift key only on the left hand side of the keyboard (instead of both sides as it is on the iPad) it makes selecting text to the left of the cursor slightly more difficult. (It works best if you hold Shift with one finger, and swipe left with another.) Other than that, though: GENIUS.

EDIT: I actually did stumble onto something that could end up being a deal breaker for me. I can no longer use the swipe method of typing numbers--where you tap and hold the number key, slide to the number, and release to return to the letter keyboard. My guess is that I use that feature far too often to lose it.

Last edited:

3under2

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
EDIT: I actually did stumble onto something that could end up being a deal breaker for me. I can no longer use the swipe method of typing numbers--where you tap and hold the number key, slide to the number, and release to return to the letter keyboard. My guess is that I use that feature far too often to lose it.

I just learned about that functionality a few weeks ago so it's not ingrained for me. I was trying to reteach myself to use it but no go. If it were part of my toolset than this tweak would be a total dealbreaker :(.
Boo ....

Scarlet

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, it a drag (no pun intended). The SwipeSelection dev is aware of the issue but says that fixing it might be tricky. We'll see?he did already fix the tap and hold function for using special characters.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods