Jailbreaking the new iPad - will you and why?

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Are you guys planning on jailbreaking your new iPad when a tool is available?

I've always jailbroken my iPhones. I've had all 3 iterations of the iPad and never really found a reason to jailbreak it.

I seem to "need" additional functionality on my iPhone but never on my iPad. Maybe because I mostly use it for pictures, editing, reading, games, etc... It seems where I need the notification enhancements is on my iPhone.

I'm open to being swayed though. If you insist on jailbreaking your iPad, why?

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I WILL jailbreak my "new iPad" shortly after an Untethered JB is available for the following apps...

FullForce (app by app basis)
FolderEnhancer
Gridlock
Iconoclasm
Infinidock
Multi-Icon Mover
Sprintomize
Parallax (or other scrolling, wide wallpaper add-on)
MxTube
Action Menu
Shrink
Safari Upload Enabler
SBSettings

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I jailbroke my iPhone for the tethering feature. However, I don't plan on jailbreaking my iPad unless there is something I really need on it that I can't get from stock iOS.

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
I jailbroke my iPad for SBSettings but the main reason was for RetinaPad.

On the new iPad, this feature is built in. I still can't wait to jailbreak so that I can put the iPhone clock app on. I still can't believe there isn't a real clock/alarm app for the iPad...

I want to jailbreak, simply to have the ability to do what I want to with it. I hate being stuck behind the wall.

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I know the discussion is for the iPad, but one reason I will continue to jailbreak is if my out of warranty iPhone breaks, like it just did this past week. Power button died, no apple store for miles and miles. It was already jail broke, so I just ordered the replacement ribbon cable and sensors ($5 on Amazon) and replaced the part. In the meantime I had triple-click set to lock the device.

However, I just discovered that after I replaced the part (and my power button works perfectly now, it pushes down and clicks again), that I must have torn the headphone jack ribbon. The ribbon that leads to the headphone jack also goes to the vibrator motor, which must have shook the remaining thread enough to rip that out as well. The volume buttons still work, but the mute switch does not (again, all on same ribbon, just with different leads). Another $5 for the whole jack/motor leads/internal buttons and internal switch leads (with free shipping, which is awesome because it would have been $20 and shipping via ifixit). This part appears easier to replace than the power switch assembly.

Until that part comes in I can just use my old iPod 5th gen for listening to music at night, and an activator action for toggling silent.

Oh the fun times of iPhone repair.

3under2

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I jailbreak just in case there is something I want that isn't offered. I use TV out for my iPad (first generation) to stream Slingbox from the US to my TV. I also use my computer to do the same thing, but I Love having options :).

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk