so here's the situation:
    i need to factory reset my jailbroken ipad and i'm getting stuck at the screen with spinning circle. when i try to use itunes to upgrade to 5.1 it fails and gives me various error codes, update via wifi also fails with error.
    so i figured if i'd remove cydia app with cydelete that may solve the problem (stupid me) now, at this point i cannot: recover cydia icon, i cannot update to 5.1 and i cannot do a factory reset. I tried using tinyumbrella but as i understand with 5.1 out tinyumbrella is not able to proxy SHSH requests. So i'm pretty much stuck with the device which i can't update can't reset and can't get the cydia icon back. is there any windows program other than itunes that can help me to perform either the update or get the cydia back. i came across various forums with the same issue (deleted cydia) but they recommend to have either iFile (i don't have one) or open SSH/ WinSCP i already downloaded the cydia .deb file but have no idea how to remote to ipad with WinSCP and transfer cydia .deb file. I spent nearly 5 hours reading various forums and trying all these things but no avail. there's gotta be a way to at least update the damn thing. (i'm OK with losing jailbreak too.) any help would be greatly appreciated thank you!
    Edit:
    strangely enough i can do the icloud backup when i choose to reset all settings. (not erase all content and settings, it still gives me the spinning circle for hours) but i still cannot update nor recover cydia icon after that either.
    Last edited by dalvik; 03-14-2012 at 01:56 AM.
    03-14-2012 01:48 AM
    I've moved your thread to the jailbreak forum where you're likely to get some help.

My personal recommendation - delete TinyUmbrella and try again.
    03-14-2012 06:55 AM
    Thank you Alli. That didn't work I tried all these options on three windows computers. However just now I was able to upgrade to 5.1 (sadly with loosing the jailbreak) on my mom's laptop running Windows 8 developers preview... for some strange reason the update went through on that particular machine only I could have netted more by selling the jailbroken ipad but alas.. next time will be smarter not to mess with the cydia icon. In any case.. the problem is solved now. you can close this thread if you like. thanks again.
    03-14-2012 09:54 AM
    You were going to lose the jailbreak no matter how you did it. You did realize that, right? Updating always un-jailbreaks.
    03-14-2012 11:16 AM
    You were going to lose the jailbreak no matter how you did it. You did realize that, right? Updating always un-jailbreaks.
    not if i could restore the cydia icon, otherwise i wouldnt update. eventhough i inadvertently deleted the icon my ipad still remained jailbroken. updating it was the last resort to be able to sell it.
    03-14-2012 01:34 PM
    Have you tried iExplorer? It's a browser that lets you browse the files and folders on your
    idevice. There might be a way to put cydia back using it? I can't be sure but it might be worth some research.
    03-14-2012 03:41 PM
    Have you tried iExplorer? It's a browser that lets you browse the files and folders on your
    idevice. There might be a way to put cydia back using it? I can't be sure but it might be worth some research.
    thanks but i already sold it this mornign and even shipped it. but thanks anyway
    03-14-2012 04:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD