The dilemma JB or battery

Yocko#IM

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
My battery life is disastrous on my 4s. I use a Mophie juice pack and I still barely make the night. I use my phone obsessively. But still...
I love my jailbreak. Love it. Use it. Bite sbs mywi maps to navigate. I could go on. I use it all the time. But this battery thing is driving me mad. And I do quite a bit of international traveling so I am not always close to a socket.
Does anyone have a solution a tip or a suggestion?

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Besides the many tips that have been covered in a few of the battery threads here, no. Although I haven't had poor battery life on mine one thing I did recently that is getting me 2 or more hours of standby time is turning off 3G while I am on WiFi. I read somewhere that this helps, and it actually does. Also turn off location in settings for some of your apps that really don't need it on. It's a tough decision to stay JB or unjailbreak and see if the 5.1 update fixes your issue or not, but from some of the posts I have read that the 5.1 update did not fix everyone's battery issues. I hope whatever you decide to do works for you, though.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
the REAL "dilemma" now is the fact you have a 4S which cannot be restored to 5.0.1 but ONLY 5.1, which currently cannot be jailbroken

at this point unless you do some serious troubleshooting nothing will change. then there needs to be a decision made of what is of more importance? Battery life or the Jailbreak? personally i would choose the workability of the device over any jailbreak

mind giving us a list of all your apps & tweaks? maybe we can help troubleshoot

Reactions: Yocko#IM

sbddude

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I have absolutely no battery issues on my jailbroken 4s. I do have some suggestions to try:
Turn off location for anything you don't need, especially weather and time zone.
Turn your brightness down whenever possible.
Stick to well known Cydia tweaks. I don't use Winter board or anything like that.

Reactions: Yocko#IM

Yocko#IM

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
thanks!

thanks for all the advise.

So re-jailbreaking is no option so I killed off a couple of little lesser known jb tweaks for safety. and i killed winterboard, only used it for a retina bitesms icon anyway...
so now i have running

bite
sbsettings
backgrounder
anyattach
datadeposit
navigate from maps
password pilot
pkg backup
remove background
tetherme
3g unrestrictor

these I love and use quite a lot.

and then I switched off quite a few location services.. and I discovered the system services... wow. How sly can you get Apple? location based iAds determiner withou telling me unless i flip a switch? Needless to say I turned that off.... and the setting time zone and "traffic' whatever that may be...

thanks again guys and girls... let's see where this takes me.... I will keep you informed!

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Everybody should get BatteryDetective from Cydia. I just mentioned it in another thread, but I'm just a user - not making any money off of this...

In my opinion, it is the best tool available to try to determine if your phone is draining too quickly, and also to quickly tell when you've finally found the culprit.

If you open the app and select "Battery Info", you can see a lot of information on one screen. Some of the important ones are:

MaxCapacity: Displays how much energy your battery is acutally capable of storing.
DesignCapacity: Displays how much energy your battery was designed to store. Use it to reference MaxCapacity to see how much your battery has degraded.
CycleCount: How many times your battery has fully charged. This isn't how many times you've plugged it in, it's how many times you've charged 100% of the battery. For example, charging it ten times from 90% to 100% would count as 1 cycle.
Drain: This is the big one. This tells you exactly how fast your battery is being drained. It updates every 20 seconds or so.

For the 4S, the designed capacity is 1430milliamps/hour. If you are seeing -143mA, the phone would be drained in 10 hours. You can leave this page displayed and put your phone to sleep. Let it sleep for a minute or so, and then quickly unlock the phone and check your "sleep" current drain. On my 4S, that drain is usually between 4 to 8 mA. When I've had problems, like when iTunes Match is misbehaving, I've seen that number rise to 450mA while asleep and the phone really starts warming up. It is drawing 100x the amount of current that it should be.

With this app, it's really easy to make changes and see actual before-and-after results from your tweaking instead of relying on how it "feels".

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen