What's the hardest repair you've ever peformed on an electronics device?

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Doesn't have to be an iOS device - just in general, what's the hardest repair you've ever performed on a device?

Was it a success, was it not such a great experience?

Shooter03

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I changed a whole back of a iPhone 3G to green, it was harder than I thought. Came out alright, kids still use it to play games on.

Magically transferred through space and time to the internut on my LifeProof'd iPhone using Tapatalk.

Psychonaut

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
I can put this back together blindfolded with one hand in 12 seconds.

View attachment 13915

EDIT: The actual procedure is a comms board swap from a Pre on Sprint to the body of a Pre+ or Pre2 (both either from Verizon or AT&T), which allows the user to have a better phone, but still running on Sprint's network (who doesn't allow activation of phones not in their system) without them ever being the wiser. The photo above depicts a little more teardown than is necessary for the procedure.

It's really the only piece of hardware I've ever worked with and I only learned how to do it thanks to great guides like this: Sprint Pre 2 - WebOS Internals (and doing it 1,000 times).

I look forward to becoming so familiar with the iPhone (or perhaps I look forward to not needing to). Inductive charging sure would be nice though...

EDIT:

In answer to you last question: The first time was scary as hell! I "knew" I wasn't going to do it right, or that I'd break something, and I was "sure" I'd be out a phone. But hey. I tried and succeeded. And it was soooooooo fulfilling! Especially given that there are pay services that I'd have to mail both phones across the country for, and wait for their return, while I did it in an afternoon in my living room for free. There's a software component as well, and that's the really daunting part. I eventually got confident enough that I performed both aspects (hardware/software) for other people and at this point I'm more likely to take a crack at 'it' myself now (whatever 'it' may be) without calling someone or taking it to an expert. It was kind of a life-changing experience.

Nice thread.

Last edited:

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Awesome! It's nice to see others in the imore community that are DIY ninjas. Yeah back replacements on the 3G/3GS are a pain but once you get one, then it gets easier and easier.

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
I've repaired a damaged IC before. Not replaced the bad part, but etched open the package, probed the die and found the problem, then zapped the short circuit (a manufacturing defect) away using a frigging laser. Maybe not the hardest repair I've ever done, but one of the ones I got the most pride from.

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I've modded three of my Blackberry's. Ill start with the most basic.

I changed the trackball on my pearl 8120.

Next, i changed the bezel, keyboard, and trackball on my bold 9000. Later I broke the screen and replaced that.

Last, I completely remodeled the casing on my bold 9700. Changed the bezel, back, keyboard, volume buttons, lock and mute buttons on top into a chrome finish.

The 8120 and 9000 were a breeze. No issues, no problems.
The 9700 was also a breeze, but the casing didn't fit right. The track pad became way to tight, the keyboard was extremely tight and cracked the bezel. The back was always loose and slide down a tiny bit. The top and volume buttons worked out. So I ended up wasting my money in the end.

crystus

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Hardest one for me was doing the unbrickable mod on my Captivate. Soldering iron+ small wires+ small prong of chip to solder it to= a lot of bad words my daughter shouldn't hear. Got it done though. Second hardest was trying to figure out why my laptop stopped turning on. Fixed it but i still have 5 screws left over. Still works though.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I learned how to replace the final stage output tube in the RF Amp of a 3kw FM radio transmitter and recalibrate.... never had to do it. :D

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Hardest one for me was doing the unbrickable mod on my Captivate. Soldering iron+ small wires+ small prong of chip to solder it to= a lot of bad words my daughter shouldn't hear. Got it done though. Second hardest was trying to figure out why my laptop stopped turning on. Fixed it but i still have 5 screws left over. Still works though.

I had that happen with a phone once - had a few screws left over but it worked. I scratched my head and figured it was mine personally so I wasn't worried about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
This is how I met Capone.

back-to-the-future-flux-capacitor-replica-3.jpg

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Hardest I did was a 3GS back swap .. A guy asked me to do it after he had it half apart and handed me a bag of screws .. I never had done it but I was able to get it .. Also a iPhone 4 screen wasn't hard but I was more nervous than anything

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Mr. Apple

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Hardest Repair

Just swapped my iPad to white but in the process broke the wifi flex cable😱, had to take out the Bluetooth chip, take out the cable and cut it apart then micro soldier it together😷. But to have a fixed screen plus black home button and working wifi it was well worth the two hours fixing that cable. 😝

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Just swapped my iPad to white but in the process broke the wifi flex cable, had to take out the Bluetooth chip, take out the cable and cut it apart then micro soldier it together. But to have a fixed screen plus black home button and working wifi it was well worth the two hours fixing that cable.

Wow! Nice!

Did you manage to change the screen without breaking it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner