New 4S... JB now or wait until 5.1 is JB'd??

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Looks like iOS 5.1 is right around the corner... I got a 4S 2 days ago. I want to JB. But I am thinking of waiting until 5.1 is set free.

Is there an advantage to doing it now?

Chris Parsons

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
The only advantage is that if you do it now, you'll have a JB device.. if you wait, well.. you may be waiting a while as there is no guar. 5.1 can even be JB.

Reactions: reltm

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
it's hard to say if there will even be a tethered JB for 5.1 since that info is not released until afterwards, obviously

at minimum i would save your 5.0.1 SHSH Blobs. that way you can always go back to 5.0.1 anytime you wish. look into iFaith or TinyUmbrella

krs7272#AC

Feb 20, 2010
Visit site
at minimum i would save your 5.0.1 SHSH Blobs. that way you can always go back to 5.0.1 anytime you wish. look into iFaith or TinyUmbrella

This is false. Though saving your SHSH blobs is a good idea there currently is no way to downgrade nor restore to 5.0.1 on A5 devices once Apple quits signing them.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
This is false. Though saving your SHSH blobs is a good idea there currently is no way to downgrade nor restore to 5.0.1 on A5 devices once Apple quits signing them.

How have you come to this conclusion?? Are you running 5.1?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
good point, i forgot about the fact that A5 is indeed different when it comes to blobs and how they, currently, cannot be saved

so then the OP might as well jailbreak now and hope he never has to restore, and any other A5 users, once 5.0.1 is no longer being signed?

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Recently, there was a strong suggestion from a couple of the guys who developed the untethered 5.0.1 jailbreak to download a certain app from the App Store before it disappeared or was upgraded. Their advice was to download it and copy the .ipa file someplace safe. I'm not sure what the rules are here regarding this, so I won't mention it by name, but the app is still available and is free.

In any case, it might be inferred that this app has some kind of repeatable crash that could be exploited in a future firmware and allow jailbreak code to be injected. If this is the case, the next firmware might be jailbroken quickly, but be dependent on installing this app.

Better safe than sorry, right?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Recently, there was a strong suggestion from a couple of the guys who developed the untethered 5.0.1 jailbreak to download a certain app from the App Store before it disappeared or was upgraded. Their advice was to download it and copy the .ipa file someplace safe. I'm not sure what the rules are here regarding this, so I won't mention it by name, but the app is still available and is free.

In any case, it might be inferred that this app has some kind of repeatable crash that could be exploited in a future firmware and allow jailbreak code to be injected. If this is the case, the next firmware might be jailbroken quickly, but be dependent on installing this app.

Better safe than sorry, right?

yes sir, done. :)

http://forums.imore.com/jailbreak-unlock-forum/230304-did-i0n1c-just-hint-towards-5-1-jailbreak.html

krs7272#AC

Feb 20, 2010
Visit site
That's right I forgot all about this. Bit IIRC didn't MuscleNerd say this had nothing to do with an exploit though?

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
I kind of got the impression that they wouldn't ADMIT to it being a possible exploit. It's still looks to me like a "no comment" situation, which almost always makes me think that there's more to the story.

There's no reason NOT to do it, though...

krs7272#AC

Feb 20, 2010
Visit site
I kind of got the impression that they wouldn't ADMIT to it being a possible exploit. It's still looks to me like a "no comment" situation, which almost always makes me think that there's more to the story.

There's no reason NOT to do it, though...

Yup same here. I got it just in case. Though I have to wonder if it was a usable exploit they wouldn't want the few who thought as we did to be only ones to be able to use it.

Sharma15

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
There is no telling whether we will have a JB for 5.1. Apple has been cracking down for years now and no one knows if the future JB will be untethered like it is for 5.0.1. It is worth is in my opinion. It doesn't slow down the device noticeably and you have a lot of options with jail breaking.

Sent from my Facebook Machine using Tapatalk.

stillriza

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Why take a chance? If you don't JB now and 5.1 hits, then I am pretty sure you'll regret it. Having to wait maybe months before a JB is even available, if even possible. Besides, what's holding you back. You can JB in a couple mins with absinthe and tweak your hearts content. When 5.1 comes around, you can upgrade when a JB is available.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
There is no telling whether we will have a JB for 5.1. Apple has been cracking down for years now and no one knows if the future JB will be untethered like it is for 5.0.1.

Having to wait maybe months before a JB is even available, if even possible

THESE reasons right here are what is compelling me to go stock and stay that way

always having to wait to update is getting old, tbh. this has to drive anyone crazy who actually depends on jailbreaking

talkin73

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
THESE reasons right here are what is compelling me to go stock and stay that way

always having to wait to update is getting old, tbh. this has to drive anyone crazy who actually depends on jailbreaking

What's the harm in waiting to update the OS? I suppose if they offered something really great in these intermediate updates that would be one thing but most of the time it's small things, at least AFAIC. iOS6 isn't going to show up until the next device which I'd find hard to imagine will show up before October. That's a whole lotta JB login' over the next 7-8 months ;-) The minor software instabilities are what make me frustrated with JB'ing. Until iOS 5 I had virtually none of that and it may just be the apps I've installed that cause the problems, which is probably the case. But, unless 5.1 offers something really compelling then I am fine waiting months (or never) to update. When iOS 6 comes out, I can consider that on it's own merit and decide on both the new device and the OS at the same time.

spectator52

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I have been rooting android phones over the last few years and thinking about getting an iphone and would like to JB. This thread has been helpful but i need one thing clarified for me.

Worst case scenario: Let's say IOS 5.1 could not be Jail Broken. Now I want to go back to stock...Am I able to do a factory-restore anytime on itunes that would then eventually put me on the latest IOS--so in this example 5.1?

I think I am confused since (from what I understand) saving my SHSH blob doesn't really do me any good. But, if I can always restore on Itunes, what is the downside?

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
On any device before the iPhone 4S, you can always downgrade to any firmware that you had previously saved SHSH blobs for. This should remain the case forever.

With the 4S (and presumably after) you can save your current SHSH blobs, but there is currently no way to downgrade. You can only restore firmware that Apple is currently signing. Once Apple goes to a new firmware, it may not ever be safe to restore again if you want to remain jailbroken.

I'd like to believe that the wizards will come up with a downgrade solution for the 4S, but there is also the possibility that they won't.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
What's the harm in waiting to update the OS? I suppose if they offered something really great in these intermediate updates that would be one thing but most of the time it's small things, at least AFAIC. iOS6 isn't going to show up until the next device which I'd find hard to imagine will show up before October. That's a whole lotta JB login' over the next 7-8 months ;-) The minor software instabilities are what make me frustrated with JB'ing. Until iOS 5 I had virtually none of that and it may just be the apps I've installed that cause the problems, which is probably the case. But, unless 5.1 offers something really compelling then I am fine waiting months (or never) to update. When iOS 6 comes out, I can consider that on it's own merit and decide on both the new device and the OS at the same time.

agreed with the instability issues of JB apps/tweaks in iOS 5 vs 4.x.x . it makes me wonder if Apple is starting to gain a little bit of an edge in the Jailbreak battle

i do not know what is happening to me lately but i am finding it more and more difficult to justify why i should jailbreak. maybe i am just getting burnt out on the whole process. i will be updating to 5.1 (GM) and if there are just minor changes i will probably go back to 5.0.1 and JB... i guess

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods